Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Old 04-17-2007, 10:05 PM
RLPageMD
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kingcat-Like Design and Build

Mods, I watch for any new posts on this thread on a daily basis. Waiting in great anticipation for your release of this fabulous piece of artistry. I signed up for your pre-order list prior to your website creation. Should I sign up again there to keep my place or were you able to transfer that at the time of your website coming online? Thanks in advance, Rick
Old 04-18-2007, 04:24 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too requested to be on the list long before the website was up and I am hoping that I am still on it as I am guessing that the list is growing quite long by now.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys for checking in. Here is the Modkat pre-order list as of 18 April 07:

1. Rlpagemd
2. Jinzo
3. Timandchoc757
4. Sparhawk
5. Turbinecrazy
6. Arck
7. TBWood
8. Ayrtonsenna
9. Lomcevak Duck
10. Bob27
11. C. Mosa
12. J. Widner
13. macdonald77

If I missed anyone or if others would like to be added, please let me know.

Mods
Old 04-18-2007, 11:10 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Thanks Mods. Makes me feel better knowing that I'm still there. It says something for your design that so many people want to pre order a plane that has never been flown and still in the prototype phase. I imagine a lot more of us are going to want one when they see the finished product and get the first flight reports.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:14 AM
Ayrtonsenna

I'm going to be very proud to represented MRM, possibly having the first Madcat in NEW ZEALAND!
Always watching kelvin......

Wishing you and your family all the best.

Ants
Old 04-20-2007, 06:17 PM
Mods-R-Me

Fuse Plug #2-10

Got the bottom of the fairings done using the same technique as before (figures 1-6).

Figures 1 & 2

Figures 3 & 4

Figures 5 & 6

The constant sanding and shaping has made them very thin is some places. This is bad because the plug will require a little coaxing out of the mold. The thin portions would surely break off in the process. To prevent this, the fairing will be fiberglassed (this weekend) with heavy weight cloth on the top and bottom.

More to come,

Mods
Old 04-20-2007, 06:48 PM
arck

Hey Mod, your job is amazing but, I was wondering if that radio continuous working,,,he he,,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32396.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	668845  
Old 04-20-2007, 07:09 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: arck

Hey Mod, your job is amazing but, I was wondering if that radio continuous working,,,he he,,,
LOL! Yes, surprisingly enough with as much fiberglass and balsa dusts that has went into it .
Old 04-22-2007, 05:21 PM
Mods-R-Me

Fuse Plug #2-11

Summary

Today, I glassed the fairings and applied the first coat of epoxy primer on the plug. Now, the fairings are very rigid. I can't bend or break them no matter how hard I try . Next, I have to wet sand the plug smooth, separate the hatch from the fuse, and one last coat of primer. Then, several coats of black enamel followed by MOLDS!!!!!!!!!!

Construction

First, the fairings area was outlined with painters tape (Figure 1). Then, I applied one layer of heavy weight fiberglass to the top and bottom of the wing saddle area (Figures 2 & 3). Followed by feathering the fiberglass to a fine edge (Figure 4). This was NOT fun. Even with 60 grit sandpaper it took 2 hours [:@][&:].

Figures 1 & 2

Figures 3 & 4

One last shape check with the grey Krylon primer (Figure 5). Here's the plug with a few thick coats of white epoxy primer (Figures 6-8).

Figures 5 & 6

Figures 7 & 8

More to come,

Mods
Old 04-22-2007, 05:32 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Beautiful work mods.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
Sparhawk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet Kelvin. I am half thinking of getting a Wren 44 to put on thtail of this little beasty!!

Spar
Old 04-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Sparhawk

Sweet Kelvin. I am half thinking of getting a Wren 44 to put on thtail of this little beasty!!

Spar
You read my mind! It would only take a few mods in the center section to make it happen. I would suggest placing an external fuel tank on the center station to make room for the additional equipment (FADEC, ECU, Pump, etc). After the maiden, I'm planning on offering an external payload pod for a camera or bomb drops.

Mods
Old 05-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Mods-R-Me

Update: I found a new job in Yuma, Arizona so MRM-RCModels will be changing location AND setting up in a much bigger facility [sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=shades_smile.gif][sm=49_49.gif][sm=regular_smile.gif]. Regretfully, there will be only a few Modkat updates for the next 3-4 weeks. Once the new shop is up, construction will resume.

Mods
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Congrats on the new job and good luck with the move !

(wish I had taken the Yuma job 12 years ago.... hindsight...)
Old 05-04-2007, 03:19 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Good luck with your new job. We'll all be patiently awaiting your progress.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:28 AM
erazz

Just finished leafing through the pictures... [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Obviously very very impressive work! As a SW user myself I can really appreciate the cad work you did here. Like I said, impressive .

I do have one quip.... As I see it the prop is awfully close to the TE of the wing. It looks to me like it would hurt performance some and make a hell of a racket while flying. Shame though that the only way to cure that would be cutting a hole in the trailing edge... [:'(]

I truly hope that this isn't the case but have you tried to test this setup? Try to find a solution? Or maybe it really doesn't matter all that much since the Jett isn't so quiet itself. [sm=50_50.gif]

Just my -$0.02
Old 05-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Strykaas

erazz, you mean it is possible to dramatically improve the noise made by using a thinner notch in the wing of the Force one ?

Old 05-05-2007, 11:06 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

This thing is looking great, I'm very impressed, I only wish it was bigger, like bobcat sized. I'd be all over one for turbine use if it was bigger. But I'm very impressed, great job, I can't wait to see the first one pulled from the molds!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:02 PM
erazz

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

erazz, you mean it is possible to dramatically improve the noise made by using a thinner notch in the wing of the Force one ?
Nope,

I'm trying to say that I feel that there will be a lot of noise and that IMHO the only way to reduce that noise would be to move the TE away from the prop.

Tell the truth I really don't now what will happen. Hopefully I'm just plain wrong! But I've learned that the different air pressures experienced by the prop when it sits close to the TE causes noise (and not the good kind of noise).
Old 05-06-2007, 04:58 PM
Strykaas

OK erazz...
Old 05-06-2007, 05:48 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

This thing is looking great, I'm very impressed, I only wish it was bigger, like bobcat sized. I'd be all over one for turbine use if it was bigger. But I'm very impressed, great job, I can't wait to see the first one pulled from the molds!
Thanks. the Modkat was originally designed to be a 0.75 sized plane. I wasn't ready to go much larger at the time, but I've been getting quit a few requests for bigger, faster, turbine powered planes. To meet demand, the next two production planes will be turbine driven and made from composites. The sanding required for composite airframes is.......daunting, so I am designing a 3 axis CNC machine made from hardened aluminum.

That's right, a CNC machine. This will drastically reduce plug manufacturing time and costs. The rig will also be available for to modelers for custom CNC machining. The customer will provide the CAD models and pricing will be based on cut time. Been wanting to do this for years, but never had the space.....till now.

Just finished leafing through the pictures...

Obviously very very impressive work! As a SW user myself I can really appreciate the cad work you did here. Like I said, impressive .

I do have one quip.... As I see it the prop is awfully close to the TE of the wing. It looks to me like it would hurt performance some and make a hell of a racket while flying. Shame though that the only way to cure that would be cutting a hole in the trailing edge...

I truly hope that this isn't the case but have you tried to test this setup? Try to find a solution? Or maybe it really doesn't matter all that much since the Jett isn't so quiet itself.

Just my -$0.02
Thanks Erraz. Actually this set up has been tested with smaller models and never saw much of difference. You're right about the Jett though; when it's running, watch out! Does "really flipping loud" have varying levels of intensity [sm=lol.gif]?

Mods
Old 05-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Strykaas

That's right, a CNC machine
Any chance you will document this project (by itself) on these pages too [8D] ? That's too coool !
Old 05-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

That's right, a CNC machine
Any chance you will document this project (by itself) on these pages too [8D] ? That's too coool !
Sure, I was going to put it on the DIY site but a CNC design thread would introduce a new rc related project for RCU. What forum would it belong in [sm=confused.gif]?

Old 05-08-2007, 04:40 AM
Strykaas

Mods,

The following forum section should fit nicely : "All Forums >> RC Airplanes >> Projects that I had better put aside if I want to finish the started ones, especially the Ak models Su-27" [&:]

Hehe just kidding , seriously I would have started there : "All Forums >> RC Airplanes >> Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD". It seems to fit prefectly !
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
starwoes

heard of CNCZONE? that's all that site is dedicated to...well almost all.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.