Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

speed plane/inexpensive ARF suggestion

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

speed plane/inexpensive ARF suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 04:11 PM
jigeye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speed plane/inexpensive ARF suggestion

I'd like to get a super fast plane that is an ARF. Never delved into your world, but love speed. a simple plane with stock motor in the 40-60 size range. Nothing expensive. no tuned pipes, etc.
I heard the bobcat is a good one.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:36 PM
Isaac F

Default RE: speed plane/inexpensive ARF suggestion

check this one:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4575900/tm.htm
Old 08-06-2006, 10:37 PM
Ranfred Radius
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you considered electric power? I'm getting 100mph+ outta my 48" EPP Xagi XS Wing. It has a Mega 16/15/4 brushless motor in it and is juiced by 2ea 4200mah lipo batteries in series. You simply cannot go this fast on nitro!

Randy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca80485.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	503107  
Old 08-07-2006, 08:19 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: jigeye

I'd like to get a super fast plane that is an ARF. Never delved into your world, but love speed. a simple plane with stock motor in the 40-60 size range. Nothing expensive. no tuned pipes, etc.
I heard the bobcat is a good one.

If you are looking mainly for speed and cheap........ with good all-around performance....

Lanier Predator II or GP Viper (both Q-500 racing planes). Both fly great, built straight and strong - very complete kits.
Thunder Tiger .46 Pro engine - use the stock muffler (or TT.40 Pro if you think you might want to try racing at some time...)
APC 9x7 prop.

Break in the engine and the first few flights using a 9x6.

Level flight speed somewhere around 110-120 mph

Plane $110
Engine $80

Does not get a bunch less expensive than that for something that flys well over 100 mph.

Also worth considering is the Lanier Shrike ARF, Sportsman Aviation F-20 if you want jet-looks.
The Magnum .52 is a possible alternative to the TT.46 in this case as well.

Some other well-qualified planes out there, but the Q-500 planes are very hard to beat for an introduction to speed. They fly fast - and more importantly they fly well going slow.

Bob
Old 08-07-2006, 01:53 PM
WJM

Bob

I was also looking for a fast nitro. The idea of not having to worry about over discharging my lipos or spending $100's in batterys is appealing. I like the looks of the F-20 but how hard are they to fly, or better yet land (I have been flying the MUS, Stryker clocked at 97, and now a twist). I like the Viper but the Whiplash X looks intense and should fly like a Stryker on steriods.

I have a OS .46AX to go in the plane. You guys at Jett have a bolt on muffler for it, how much of an increase will I see?

Thanks for all the time and great info you give

Bill
Old 08-07-2006, 04:43 PM
setxws6

Bill, get the Jett muffler for your OS 46 and the Sportsman Aviation f-20, you won't be disappointed. It is a fast plane. I clocked mine at 130mph level, and 145mph in a 45 degree dive. I have a Thunder tiger .46 with a Jett muffer.

The plane has very good slow speed flight characteristics as well. It comes in with nose high slow landings and stalls are not snappy but calm.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:15 PM
WJM

setxws6

Wow, moves right along. What prop are you running and does it have retracts?

Thanks, Bill
Old 08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
setxws6

Just a apc 10x6 and a fixed gear. It's really a screamer with the right engine.
Old 08-08-2006, 09:02 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: WJM

Bob

I was also looking for a fast nitro. The idea of not having to worry about over discharging my lipos or spending $100's in batterys is appealing. I like the looks of the F-20 but how hard are they to fly, or better yet land (I have been flying the MUS, Stryker clocked at 97, and now a twist). I like the Viper but the Whiplash X looks intense and should fly like a Stryker on steriods.

I have a OS .46AX to go in the plane. You guys at Jett have a bolt on muffler for it, how much of an increase will I see?

Thanks for all the time and great info you give

Bill
I suggested the Q-500 designs because they are very easy to assemble straight, and they fly and land very well. These are generally faster than the F-20 and other "40" size prop jets (using the same engine).

The F-20 flys well - no real bad habbits, just keep the speed up in the turns, and be smooth on the controls on landing approach.

Not sure when the Whip X will be available.

The OS 46 AX will gain around 1200-1500 rpm on a 10x6 using the Jett-Stream muffler.

However this engine likes the larger props. Good combination for the F-20 or Patriot and such.

For the Q-500, the TT46pro unloads much better with smaller 9x7 and 9x8 props - yet still turns the daylights out of a 10x6 too (with the jett-stream on it). Yet, you will not at all be disappointed with the OS on the Q-500 either.