Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash is ready...

Old 01-04-2003, 11:01 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash is ready...

Well almost.still have to tape the bottom of the hinge.

Today was the first time I got to run the engine in the plane, and it ran real nice. I swapped out the .412" bore Rossi carb with a .470" bore OS 8B, this engine has 172 degree exhaust duration, one .005 sleeve shim, no head shim. 10CC Rossi pipe with the muffler section cut off. I have a 15CC pipe but want to try the 10 first..

21K on an 9X8 APC right off the bat..I didn't even mess with setting the pipe, I think it's close enough for test flights.

But I got some tank foaming..I'll pull the main tank and cut away a little material so I can get a little foam around it. I have a 2oz hopper in the radio compartment so I have 8oz onboard.

Even at 4lb 10oz it would have pulled right out of my hand, so I don't think I'll have any trouble launching except my launcher is down in his back and I don't have anybody to throw the dang thing. Oh well..I bet I can drag up a warm body someplace.

This thing is ungodly loud...deafening. Way louder than the 46 VRDF in the DDust.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:24 PM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default engine

remind me what engine this is.

did you try the armoral?

The calculations show 8.7 lbs of thrust and 160 mph. This is of course a calculation and doesnt allow for unloading in the air.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:53 PM
ChuckAuger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine..

Is a RIRE Rossi 65.. No, I'll make it work without Armor All..

As for the calculations...I quit using or listening to those..there was a guy going like 205 on a 9X8 APC and he was turning 17.9 static. This is just to get the dang thing in the air..I have a different set-up for going fast...
Old 01-05-2003, 01:44 AM
S3HD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash is ready...

Are you gonna use the tape that is supplied with the plane or some other material? If you're using something different than what was supplied, would you tell us what it is?

I set up my radio gear that I was planning to use on my Whip. I was planning to use:
2 MPX Royal Digi BB for elevons
1 Hitec 225BB for throttle
Hitec 555 rec'vr
5 cell, 720mah NiMH rec'vr pack
Switch harness

I plugged it all in, and had a ton of glitches, batt volt was 7.0 right off a fresh charge. Tried to isolate the problem - it was the 555 rec'vr. Hitec tech said that it could handle the voltage, but it can't. I have 5 of these rec'vrs - all caused all the servos to glitch with the 5 cell pack. I've used these rec'vers for quite some time in my combat planes and never had a problem - but always with a 4 cell batt. pack.

I tried the set up with a Futaba 7 channel rec'vr - no glitches. So, since there were no glitches, I was able to actuate the servos - and-

I had three of the MPX's(brand new) get jumpy. I tried four servos, and only one was smooth throughout the tx stick motion. I tried these servos one at a time in every channel in the rec'vr. I tried 'em all hooked up - still the same. I tried it with a 4 cell pack - still jumpy. They mostly seemed to lag the tx stick motion. I'd move the stick - then a delay - then the servo would move.

All these trials were made without the servos connected to the flight controls - they were just laying on the bench. I also tried it all again three days later without re-charging - batt voltage had dropped to 6.5 - no change in the outcome.

The MPX's are being sent back for testing, I don't have a servo tester or programmer. I've already drilled the holes and test mounted all the servos. I'm hoping that I can still use them, but am considering the JR8411's now. Another set-back, but I'll have my Whiplash flying soon enough.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:55 AM
ChuckAuger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Tape...

I guess I'll be using something else..mine didn't have any tape in it. I was figuring on 2" wide strapping tape.

I'm using a 1000mah 4.8v NiMh pack, JR 226 RX, 8411's, HS81's for throttle & mixture, 388TX.

Got the tank re-mounted, I don't think I'll have bubbles now...