Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Engine question

Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Engine question

I bought the GP shoestiring before they were discontinued. Does anyone have one of these planes with a jett 90 in it.
If not what kind of engine is in it and what's speed.
thanks for any help
Old 08-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Engine question

I have one with a ST G90 and a 13/8 apc. Have a Pitts style muffler also. I've had it *****5 years***** and still a mover. I have a Jett 90 and a 50. Honestly I think its a waste of a real good expensive engine to put in a Shoestring. Put that Jett in a Propjet or something. Anyways, the plane flys really well. I think I have a pic of it in this "my models" icon

I have it mounted sideways and the head was right up against the cowl. So instead of cutting a huge hole as many do, I just dremeled a couple slats for the corners of the head and ahol for the glow plug.
Old 08-13-2006, 10:27 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

phjocker:

The GP Shoestring is a good flyer, as you know based on the racer. Most if not all of the speed airframe character is designed out for the average flyer making it a good sport plane and easy to land. Agree with cyclic, save your Jett. The thing will be a little faster than a Kayos even with a Jett. About the same speed as the GP little tony which is a little porky to scoot. The Alley Cat is a little faster with the 90, but no scooter either. I have yet to find a airframe tht will scoot and also turn decently as a Ideal airframe for the Jett 90. Gonna build a one off this winter based on a Q-500 wing and streemlined fuse. My Jett 35 in a 40" Q-500 wing and home brew fuse is still one of the quickest things in my area after 3 hard seasons of high rpm. Just keeps on getting stronger. With no question, the best engine I have had in 46 years of playing with these things. Have to beat it with a bat to stop the low idle even with a 8.50X7.5 apc pylon prop tuned to turning 19.5K. [
ENJOY
Old 08-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One area here is that I don't think they make a sport scale plane that will bring out a Jett 90's true colors. Don't get me wrong here, So far I think the Cermark F-16 leads the pack but its an appropriate 90 size plane. My 90 on the Ultra Sport does okay and is impressive but nothng specatacular which is of no fault on the engine.

I think there is a photo of a guy on Jetts Hall of Fame page that has a Jett 90 in a 40 size Patriot. I think he was getting speeds of around 180-190 and I believe that one. I recall he shortened the nose a bit to get the engine one. I think I found it, (That is not me) Now this combo would be fun to watch.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19154.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	506468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29760.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	506469  
Old 08-14-2006, 08:58 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will have to agree with these guys here. The plane is kinda porky to really take advanage of the Jett 90L, 90LX or a 100LX

Save yourself a few $$ and enjoy the plane for what it is capable of.

What I might suggest is going with a Magnum/ASP 91 XL type of engine (or an actual OS91FX) and adding the Jett turbo-jett muffler to it. The combination will turn the daylights out of a 12x9 or 13x8 prop.... and get you some real nice speed.

The Evo 100 is not a bad engine either. Worth a look. Also the Tower 75 tends to run very well with the turbo-jett and a 12x7 or 12x8 prop.

Old 08-14-2006, 10:16 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I re loaded the photo so you can enlarge it to see the slats for the head.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93069.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	507130  
Old 08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models