Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Fast/cheep/turns

Old 08-20-2006, 11:50 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Fast/cheep/turns

Guys:

Gonna tell you one that will be hard to stomach. Have been flying a Matney Animal Zoomer in local club race open class, Jett 50 bse with black pipe power, turns 18.6K on the ground. Broke it in half at first flight dead stick, repaired, repainted, now porkey at 5.8 lbs. Anyway, out comes my nemisis with a Hobbico Avistar 40, wing eventually cut down to 40", built flat, powered by K & B 48 screemer, performance pipe. Darn thing stays with me on the streight, and outturns me big time. Front end is open and stock. I just keep coming in second to this thing and continue being frustrated. The Zoomer is a fast airframe, a cross between a Q-500 and F1. I just can't get it to turn at 5.8 pounds. It tucks the left wing toward the ground, and at around 150 mph gets scarry for this old man. Would hate to loose it into the crowd. It is spot on at the design CG, 2.75". wing cord is 9.9", about 28%. Moving the CG does not change the bad character, does smooth out straight line habbit. Guess am going to have to buy another fuse and rebuild, or find another fast airframe that will turn with the rest. One bad engine run, was outrun by a OS 32 with pipe in a Viper. Oh, woe, woe, woe, poop. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Slow Bro #119
Old 08-20-2006, 12:10 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Fast/cheep/turns

If you bank 90 degrees and pull full elevator, and it tucks down like you mention. I would suggest adding wing weight to the top wing (right side). Or remove any weight you added to the left wing tip for lateral balance. Start with two quarters taped to wing tip and add or subtract from there.
Old 08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want something that's fast, cheap and turns well... build yourself a decent wood Q500 airframe. The Jett 50 on the black muffler will pull it along close to the speeds the full blown competition setups are doing (160 is not entirely impossible). It will be about half of that 5.8 pounds, and it will turn as tight as the strength of the wing allows... and that is really tight if you build it well!

Or you could bolt the Jett 50 to a Viper, and it will blow that wimpy OS away. Just remember to take out the firewall, and put a new one back in the proper way
Old 08-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Or, you can use "differential" in the left aileron....you don't need that left
aileron going so far "up" and pulling the left wing down.

FBD.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 AM
luv to race
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Differential? Is that where you have more surface movement in one direction than another?? How does that help it keep from tucking in the corners?

RB
Old 08-21-2006, 10:08 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes....less movement on the left aileron....I don't know if it would help
or not....just something to think about. How about mixing in just a touch
of right aileron when tou pull back on the elevator ? Of course you can
turn the mix off and on....just another thing to think about.

Pattern Guys use all kinds of mixes to cure a planes little bad habits....

....why can't rmenke ???

FBD.
Old 08-21-2006, 01:41 PM
AAbdu
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am one of those aforementioned pattern guys and I agree with Dave. Try mixing in a little (3%) top or right rudder with up elevator. The movement will be so subtle you won't really notice in level flight, but it could make a world of difference in tight turns.

With the advances in radio technology you can mix out just about any bad habit a plane can have (except being heavily loaded or overweight). Checking the lateral balance is also a good idea.

Anthony
Old 08-22-2006, 09:13 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well.... one of these days Im gonna have to get out there and see what slo-bro 119 is doing - and take on that clip-wing trainer myself
Old 08-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Another Avistar nightmare! Honestly I would not believe it unless I saw it myself but rmenke is reliable, and I have heard similar things about the Avistar elsewhere...

What prop. and RPM's is he getting? I am a BIG fan of the K&B- Screamin' 48 but cannot imagine it keeping up with the SJ. 5.8 is your problem- get lighter and get a pylon prop.