Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Pushing the G90 limits

Old 08-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Pushing the G90 limits

I have run a few of these and never any serious problems and has been my #1 all around sport engine of choice. I have alway propped them appropriately. However I haven't read the ST manuals in a long while but I noticed the rpm ranging up to 16k. Anybody running one of these up in that area. I am considering installing one in that Phoenix F-20 and expecting average performance on a 12/7 prop.

However I may just for the prop this thing with an 11-something Apc and go for it.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:22 AM
Blade47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Pushing the G90 limits

Last weekend I had a APC 11x8 on my 11 pound Strikemaster ( but had no tac ) and had to tweak the high speed leaner about 1/4 turn from where I run my APC 13x6 ...to my old ears it sound liked it had a lot more RPM ,,,, it did pull my plane no problem but was not able say for sure that it was faster ...would like to try a 12x7

cheers

Side note: With the spinner ( Dave brown ) and the prop balanced to almost perfect I get a very high speed vibration on the tail of the plane ...I do have the engine mounted out at the very end of the motor mount ( Dave brown ) ...could it be this that is giving me the Vibe? would a isolation mount cure this ..or ... [] can it be bad bearings and crank shaft. I can see NO wobble on the nose cone. Hmmmm and the engine is about 5 gallons old.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Blade- That could be the culprit....

Cyclic- You are clipping that F-20 down and using a G-90? Honestly, sounds strange... You know as well as I that these propjets need RPM's and light weight is the order of the day... I bet a BB 46 would be faster than the G90 [X(]

You must be doing it for the fun of it eh?

Cheers!
Old 08-27-2006, 10:16 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeh, I know, just trying to put together a plan. That Jett 60 looks mighty tempting also. Plus this darn plane is very light. Just don't really know if the G90 is a performer outside of it's normal rpms range. Just wondering if the engine has something hiding we don't know about.

I don't mind experimenting and a bit of sacrificial r & d. I take wicked performance beating here at 5000ft. That Jett 90 of mine inthe Ultra Sport only gets 12.500 rpms on a 12/7 and Dub Jett gets 14something in Texas. I think that if I can get at least 12,500 sustaining out of the G90, i should have a decent plane.

We already know the plane is a good flyer from the other guys. Those are my current thoughts. I usually do the engine last, so I have time to mull it all over.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:10 PM
juanpipito

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im putting a g90 on my learjet 46 with a tuned pipe, Ill let you knoew hoe it run once I fly it.
Old 08-28-2006, 03:21 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Cyclic,

I had a Buddy run a ST G90 with an 11x9 APC, and it definately woke it up. I don't recall what his RPM's were, but I'd guesstimate 14+. He was trying to keep up with my Jett 90/11x8......it didn't work!

Gary
Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is good ifor for me. Thanks, guys.