Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Whiplash extreme

Old 01-08-2003, 04:49 AM
Daryl Lane

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Can anybody tell me anything about the new whiplash and if so let me know. thank Daryl
Old 08-17-2003, 04:22 PM
SALMONBUG
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Hi Daryl, I will just start to assemble a whiplash extreme. If you are intersted I will post my work here with some pics.
Old 08-17-2003, 04:50 PM
Stuntpiloot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Yes, please post here, I think a lot of us are interested
Old 08-17-2003, 06:04 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Ok here will be the building and test flight report. First of all I would like to apologize for my bad english, I am a belgian modeler. this fact introduce my first coment, the package arrived in very good condition after a long trip above the north atlantic and a very long period in the hands of the belgian custom. I ordered my extreme some months ago during a period of extreme international tension and maybe the belgian custom employees made an extensive battery of test on my whiplash to be sure that this thing was not able to bomb anthrax or some kind of nuclear weapon on the head of the poor belgian comunity.

My whiplash is the "extreme" version, it has been factory painted in fluorescent green on top and fluorescent pink on bottom.
This color scheme is not transcendant I admit, but I will give this plane to my neveu after I made some flights with it. My neveu is excelent RC pilot but has very bad eyes and I thruly believe that fluorescent green and pink are the most easiest color to see a fast plane in flight. If this plane fly well I will order one for myself with a Xwing color scheme.

I plan to start with a OS46FX as powerplant, but a jett FIRE 50 is on order for a speed upgrade after familiarisation.

I didn't made any choice for the servos yet, and any suggestion welcome, but those servos are going to be strong and fast

now the first interseting data and the first pic.
scale said 790 gr (with a precision of 10gr) thats 1.742 pounds or 27.86 oz (according to my conversion tool)for the painted airframe without any accesories.
that's light.....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	102382_27945.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	28527  
Old 08-17-2003, 07:52 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

the assembly manual I received with the plane consist of 7 sheets , 4 of them contains recomandations and 3 of them are dedicated to the assembly and flying instructions. there are no pictures and no drawings .the first step ask to glue the vertical fins assembly. I will leave the fins assembly aside for later because I want to be able to able to put my whiplash upside down like a pancake during the all assembly process. I'll glue the fins at the very end......
Old 08-17-2003, 08:05 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

At the second step the problems begin. seems that there are no upgrades of the manual (or I received the wrong one) for the extreme version. on the extreme version, the elevons servo are enclosed in the body and only the servo arm extrude the skin. The manual give instructions for a normal whiplash setup.
I am curently exchanging emails with Rick and Dan to have some info on the positioning of the servo trays they provide (light and strong).
I'll post the procedure and pics as soon I have received all the datas I need( I still wait a picture of the setup Dan promised me).
I may already tell you that the poor manual is avantageously compensate by the excelence of the customer service (If Rick read this I'll maybe have a discount on my second whiplash hehehehehehe)
Old 08-18-2003, 12:13 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default manual

First of all my aplogies for the manual, we have not upgraded the instructions yet but will have a new manual available online very soon, in the meantime e mail Dan or myself and we will walk you thru it, its very easy and by the way "Rick" did read this, and let me know when you order another one

basically, you attach the servos to the base part of the assembly and epoxy the base to the bottom of the fuse, be sure that you can get to all 4 servo screws and once you glue the base in, just cut a slot in the top skin for the servo arm to protrude.

il est très facile de faire, mais nous vous ferons vous remercier
quelques images très bientôt.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:13 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Rick, I didn't received the pics yet, but I made a dry fit according to Dan's written instructions. Here are two considerations.

Dan Ask to glue the servo tray in the in the back of the radio compartment (By that I understand the most back possible this mean against the bulkead), but according to the lenght of the pushrods you provide, I find that the back of the servo tray should be at a position at the back of the radio compartement covering plate

my second consideration is "what type of servos do you use"????
in fact if I put the assembly in the wing portion (not in the belly skid). the total depth of the assembly (plate+servo tray) exceed the depth of my wing. I selected several standard size servos from hitec, futaba and graupner laying on my workshop, all of them are too larges). I already sanded the square servo mounting block to minimum size and also sanded the imperfections of the mounting plate and servo tray (where the holes are drilled) but I still need 3 mm to be able to insert the assembly without deformating the skin.

I am unable to post a pic at this time(my computer suffer since yesterday evening an impressive amount of strange sickness), so I hope my text is clear

that's why I wait the pics
Old 08-18-2003, 01:31 PM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default mounts

It should be at the back of the hatch opening and you should be able to reach the servo screws to remove the servo if one fails, and on the plate, shave more off of the thickness, you can go down to 1/8" thick and be safe, remove what you need to clear the upper skin.. Dan will have pics today..
Old 08-18-2003, 04:39 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

ok, one more detail before I assemble, I have enough infos to do it without the pics, but ......

Rick, you ask to fit the servo tray such that the servo mounting screws are reachable, this mean that the servo arm should face the radio compartment.

This is a copy of Dan's mounting instruction

2. Mounts the base plates (the flat plates with 2 pre-drilled holes) inside the fuse at the aft end of the radio compartment. Be sure to orient the plate such that the servo mount for each side will have the servo arm facing the tip of the wing and the plate is in the wing portion not the belly skid part of the wing( once the servos are installed they arms will protrude thru the skin of each wing panel). Glue each plate in place using 30 minute epoxy. Allow the epoxt to fully cure

who is right?

take your time to think about that, My computer will now be shutdown for a complete reformating of the harddisk and an upgrade to windows XP, I will be back in 5 hrs (I hope LOL)
Old 08-18-2003, 04:50 PM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default plates

I meant to tell you mount it to where you can remove the screws that hold the servo mount to the base plate
Old 08-18-2003, 07:25 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

ok, sorry rick, Need to improve my english
Old 08-19-2003, 02:32 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Servos??

I am using JR DS-8417 Ultra speed digital 80 oz of torque and .10 seconds for 60 degress of rotation at 4.8v

the DS8231 would be a good choice too
Old 08-19-2003, 08:44 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

I will go to my LHS and order two 8417 tomorrow

Crazy4Flight, what servo arms did you install on it ?
Old 08-19-2003, 07:05 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

one dry fit with servos similar in size to the 8417

servo mounting plate has been hardly sand to reach an acceptable thickness. With that setup, there is a part of the mounting plate above the belly skid hole, but it allow reasonable acces to the servo tray mounting screws, I plan to fill the gap between the mounting plate and belly skid floor, with epoxy and micro baloons.

Name:	102969_27945.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	28528  
Old 08-19-2003, 08:15 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

i used the du-bro arms... also you will need to use taller horns on the elevons 1" or 1 1/4" in place of the 1/2" supplied or ypu will have to dial down your rates

Bob
Old 08-19-2003, 08:33 PM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

the one I received in the hardware package are just fine, metal 1-1/4 "
I will go with the dubro arms on the servo
Old 08-19-2003, 10:58 PM
dirt dummy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

I received my whiplash 2 week's ago, And it has no servo base or metal horns. Mine has the servo mounts cut out in the top deck. Did I get the old version?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:01 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

If you got the $169 version, it's just the X model..that's what I have. The Extreme is in the $300 range..
Old 08-19-2003, 11:06 PM
dirt dummy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

Thanks Chuck that is what I paid. I thought I read on there site that they did not sell the extreme anymore.
Old 08-20-2003, 12:54 AM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default extreme

Looks like you're on the right track Salmonbug, and your english is fine, its my fault on not expalining things properly.

You're right Chuck in telling Mr.Dirt Dummy that he has the X and not the extreme, we dont sell the extreme any more... too pricey although well worth the money.. :stupid:
Old 08-20-2003, 09:29 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

went to my LHS this morning to order the servo, theyre is a 2 weeks delivery delay on them
could obtain them faster on the net, but the guy of the LHS is a buddy and I suport his shop.

my whiplash will be set aside till I have the servos, because there is not a lot I can do without them (I prefer to have the servos before gluing the mounting plates), in fact positioning of the engine determine the CG.

here is a pic of my whiplash actualy.
I made the holes for servo arms, in fact I plan to glue the mounting plate with the servo instaled and make the final alignement so the arm is exactly in the center of the hole ( I will insert the assembly with the arm parallele to servo, then slowly raise it with the remote control. I'll take care to not glue the servo tray to the mounting plate

You can also see that a HS81 will be in charge of the throttle management. The skin is so thin that I glued 2 small pieces of CF under it at the position of the servo screw for strong fitting (maye not necessary, but I feel confortable like that and I will sleep better)

Name:	103113_27945.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	28529  
Old 08-20-2003, 09:53 AM
SALMONBUG

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Whiplash extreme

oh yes, something I will do now, I will take a long brass tube, make some dents one it, and drill(by hand) a hole from the wingtip to the rear of the radio compartment to install a antena tube. i Dunno what is inside the wing, but I hope my brass tube will go trough

Rick if there is a steel former in the middle of the wing, let me know, LOL
Old 08-20-2003, 12:02 PM
Joeytrain

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default USED !! Not using

Are you using these servos on a plane other than the Whiplash
you put into the ground?

Otherwise, proper english would be "USED" (past tense).

Originally posted by Crazy4Flight
Servos??

I am using JR DS-8417 Ultra speed digital 80 oz of torque and .10 seconds for 60 degress of rotation at 4.8v

the DS8231 would be a good choice too
Old 08-20-2003, 12:04 PM
BAGOSTIX

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default cut out

The area you cut out for the throttle servo is only a thin skin, there is a urethane mount that allows you to put a standard size servo in that area, but the CF you put is fine..
there is no steel anything in this plane...

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service