Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

1/4 scale Nemesis

Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 PM
LeeU
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 1/4 scale Nemesis

I want to build a 1/4 scale formula 1 thats fast so I was thanking about a Holetler 42% Nemesis scaled down to 1/4 scale and going with one of the rear exhaust Jett big blocks, which one would some one recommend? I want to go fast and these motors are light anf powerful, I just don't know which one for a 63 size plane.
Thanks
LeeU
Old 08-31-2006, 08:59 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 1/4 scale Nemesis

Well why go through all that. A Shoestring is 1/4 scale. I'm not sure about the Minnow or Cosmic Wind, Midget Mustang. Nice planes and would save you quite a bit of time. Any one of those will hold a Jett 90 easy. I have the Midget with a OS 1.08 shoved inside.

Long as you strengthen the firewalls up and the back end too, should be fine.
Old 08-31-2006, 09:04 PM
LeeU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I love the Nemesis and like to build. As far as F1's go nothing is faster.
LeeU
Old 09-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Logan X

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You say that in Wendell Hostetler Plans you bought that nemesis of 1/4
that if it is tremendous news
Old 09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LeeU

I want to build a 1/4 scale formula 1 thats fast so I was thanking about a Holetler 42% Nemesis scaled down to 1/4 scale and going with one of the rear exhaust Jett big blocks, which one would some one recommend? I want to go fast and these motors are light anf powerful, I just don't know which one for a 63 size plane.
Thanks
LeeU

If you are going to scale down and somewhat redesign things yourself, set the bird up for a Jett FIRE-90LX with a full pipe. Absolutely animal setup.

Run the pipe through the fuselage. It will be a tight fit, but the advantage you have here is you are building the plane, and do not have to try and fit it where some ARF designer though the engine and exhaust should go.

Otherwise, set it up using the standard side exhaust 90LX engine. Lots of GP 63" size Toni's, Minnows flying with these. Quite a few of the Cermark Alley-Cat too.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:38 PM
LeeU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my plans to day, just like my 33% Gee Bee plans Wendell's plans are top notch.

bob27s,
If the rear exaust Jett Fire-90LX will fly a 1/4 (63")scale version do you think the rear exaust Jett Fire-120 LX would fly a 30% or (75.5) version as fast? The reason I ask is there is only $20.00 difference from the 90 to the 120.

Logan X,
There is no fiberglass parts available other than for the 42%.

Thanks For the replays,
LeeU
Old 09-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 1.20 is a completely different animal compared to the .90.
The 1.20 is a "torquer"... low rpm, big props
The .90 is a revver... small props, big rpm, and probably more "brake horsepower" than the 1.20.
If you want speed, stick with the .90 and the smaller plane.
Old 09-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LEEU, Keep in mind that we take a wicked beating in all around performance here at 5000ft. The rpms numbers for the Jett 90 down in Texas are around 14,500 with that 12/7 or 8 -I forgot which one. Anyways my Jett 90 with the same prop is around 12,500. It's still a performer but like I siad, your setup up will not measure up to those at much lower altitudes. I have a Jett 50 in an F20 that is 20mph slower than guys on the west coast with near identical setups.

It comes out to about a 3% loss of performance for every 1000ft altitude.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:04 PM
LeeU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Rudeboy,
I probably miss read the add as I thought that they could make any motor a speed or any motor a torque, thanks.

Every JETT engine is individually tested before shipment
to ensure it meets or exceed advertised performance specifications!
Specifications using APC propellers, Powermaster 15% fuel - Weight with stub header and prop nut.
Engine
Type
RPM**
PROP
WEIGHT
PRICE

BSE FIRE .76 R/C AAC
12x6
$375.00
Order Here

BSE FIRE .90L R/C AAC
12x6
$375..00
Order Here

BSE FIRE 1.00L R/C AAC
15x8
$385.00
Order Here

BSE FIRE 1.20L R/C AAC
16x8
$395.00
Order Here

** RPM shown are typical examples. Engine and pipe tuned to your specifications
Setup can be defined for top end speed, lower RPM torque, or anywhere in between.

Cyclic Hardover,
Do you live in Albq? Where do you fly? I'm retired AF but I'll still talk to you.
Thanks Lee
Old 09-02-2006, 08:56 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am usually at Maloof, know most of the regulars out their for years now. Was routinely a weekend flyer but in the last 6 months, my schedules changed and now maybe one day during the week and a saturday if I'm lucky. Looked out the window this morning and said the heck with it. They also have the show going on.

Your best bet for your plan is a Jett 90. Don't know if you have ever owned one. I have two, a 90 and 50. Very straight forward and no tricks or gimmicks. Appearance and tuning is as simple and easy as any basic 2 stroke. If you want the best, these ore the ones.

When you first get the engine, it may feel like something is not right because it is "extremely tight." Be very careful when you fire it up the first time. That front end firewall of the plane needs to be very solid inside and out and very secure or it's coming off. I have seen it happen. One guy here once cranked his up and broke the whole fron end of the plane. I don't really believe in the bench run break in theory but on these engines, it might be a good idea. But if not just watch what your doing. Use a combination of a electric starter and chicken stick.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:22 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LeeU

Rudeboy,
I probably miss read the add as I thought that they could make any motor a speed or any motor a torque, thanks.

Every JETT engine is individually tested before shipment
to ensure it meets or exceed advertised performance specifications!
Specifications using APC propellers, Powermaster 15% fuel - Weight with stub header and prop nut.
Engine
Type
RPM**
PROP
WEIGHT
PRICE

BSE FIRE .76 R/C AAC
12x6
$375.00
Order Here

BSE FIRE .90L R/C AAC
12x6
$375..00
Order Here

BSE FIRE 1.00L R/C AAC
15x8
$385.00
Order Here

BSE FIRE 1.20L R/C AAC
16x8
$395.00
Order Here

** RPM shown are typical examples. Engine and pipe tuned to your specifications
Setup can be defined for top end speed, lower RPM torque, or anywhere in between.

That is true, the pipe is tuned depending on your application, but the BSE-120L is limited a bit on the top end rpm it can produce. Mainly due to the mass-flow limitations within the crankshaft and crankcase. There are also some structural issues (remember, this is a 120 crammed into a "60" size case - not much metal left in the crankcase to hold things together). The 90 is not limited, pleanty of air and fuel to breath - and can more easily be set up for higher rpm with speed-type props. The big difference here is the ability of the engine to unload well in the air. And for racing typle planes and speed, that is what you are after.

The one other option is a little know variant of the 100L - the BSE-100LX (this also available in SJ-100L and SJ-100LX cast case too). A little project Dub played with for the Toni application. Turned out that it ran very well. About the same top end rpm range as the 90L engines, just turns a bit more prop.

Bob
Old 09-05-2006, 08:14 PM
LeeU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob27s,
Can I buy one of the BSE-100LX motors? This airplane will not be for any racing class, just to go as fast as I can make it go with out pulling the wings off? I know you guys are on vacation until the 11th, but I was wondering if you have any 3D drawings of your motors (no internal stuff) so I can add them to my 3D Inventor of this airplane for fit checks, also I need a profile of your 2.25" spinner so I can keep the same contour coming off the spinner to the front of the fuselage.
Thanks Lee
Old 09-06-2006, 08:26 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Give Dub a call next tuesday - he may be able to get you some of the details. We do not have 3D models right now. You may want to inquire with Mods-R-Me here.. I think he has a 90L model in the works.