Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 09:46 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins

Well I took it out of the box, looked it over and ripped off all the covering. The insides look pretty good, Retracts don't look like a real issue here. Going to rebuild those two ribs right by the old strut blocks. The gear will be extended widthwise a couple inches. Should make take offs a bit more stable.

I am cutting off each wing down to the first rib. About 4 inches each side. I have a set of spring airs laying around somewhere that I think I will go with. I always do the engines last so I have plenty of time for that but it will be a 90 for sure. I was planning on a G90 but maybe "Santa" will get me another Jett.

As far as a color. At the moment I am going with a grayish military theme with a solid white undercarriage. I still have the elevators from my old Cermark that Flyboy and I stuffed due to flutter. These Phoenix elevator ar darn near half the size so I think I'll leave them alone for now. Looks like a good plane. Going to be my "fall" project and hope to have it ready to go in January.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:19 AM
crasharama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phoenix F-20-The Gutting Begins

good luck, it will be interesting...
Old 08-23-2006, 07:28 AM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Share a bunch of pics when you get to the nose gear! The wing is the easy part.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:45 AM
Cyclic Hardover

After getting up this morning, looking at the plane, "what did I do?". For my next trick, I decided to cut out those two ribs that hold the original strut mounting block in and just go for a clean and simple fix, I am going to trace them out on 3/32 plywood and make new ribs and cut out 1/4 inch ply for the actual mounting blocks. Should be simple and solid. Even with this, the plane is so light, a tad bit of extra weight won't hurt a thing.

At a first look on the nose. I am going to make a second hatch right behind that other one just for easy access to the tank and whatever else. Looks like if I make a second bulkhead about an inch behnd the firewall. I could mount it their . Or mount so tha wheel is on the front near the firewall. I guess it all depends where I put a tank. Over all it does not look bad.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:05 AM
vicman

Proof will be in a pic. I have looked at mine a hundred times trying to get it all stuffed in there around the tank. How much lead you plan on putting in the tailcone?
My CBM F-16 was so nose heavy even after taking over an inch of the front I made a mold of the tailcone and cast a new one out of the heavy stuff to get it as far aft as possible.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well the first wing is almost re built. I did have a moment here where I got myself a lucky shot. I had to draw out the circle for the retract wheel well. I knew there were ribs inside that I couldnt see. So from what I could see of it all, I just took a guess and said screw it. Nailed it right between the ribs! [X(]
Old 08-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I was looking at F-5 photos. Definitely going with the light gray color. I saw one with a set of aux fuel tanks. One hanging underneath each wing. Granted it may be a bit of drag but they sure look cool.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:40 PM
vicman

Still waiting on that nose gear bro
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Haven't even got their yet, still doing the wings. I have the mounting blocks in. Drilled the holes for the Spring airs and installed blind nuts and cut the wells out. Had my boy make me a set of 3/16 struts. Its coming along. I usually finish wings completely before I start on a fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56431.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	518559  
Old 09-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I held the wing together with a clip to give you an idea. Light is not good and shadow makes it look like the wheel wells are not aligned. Today I added on to the trailing edge wwhich will shorten up the ailerons. Don't need that much anyways.

Name:	Xv64781.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	518589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85660.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	518590  
Old 09-04-2006, 04:01 PM
vicman

The wings are the easy part!!!

You redoin the basement at the same time too? What the heck man!? the tiggie is more important man! I need answers mon!!!@%*&%#@

CH, If I get out to rabbityt lake you should too.[8D]
Old 09-05-2006, 02:28 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I went to the LHS today. They have quite a selection of Estes Rockets. Estes also sells parts separately. I found a set of 4 nose cones and that along with a matched up tube. I cut the tube to 3/4 inch and cut down th back of the cones a bit. Look more realistic than anything I have seen. Cones are hollow and very light.

Name:	Pn37851.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	519457