Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

JETT 50 BSE Nitro Planes Bobcat

Old 09-03-2006, 02:09 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JETT 50 BSE Nitro Planes Bobcat

Today I broke in the Dub Jett BSE.50
It lit right up and has a great idle without adjustment. Transition is fantastic.
I ran 3 tank of fuel through it on the rich side.
Tomorrow the Bobkat goes out for its flight 10x8 APC pusher cut to 9.5"

To balance the Bobkat: a 5 cell pack all the way forward and 2.0 oz. 2" in front of, and .5 oz lead at F2 (nose gear mount) put the C.G. at 10.0-10.1"

All surface controls are 4-40 Sullivan and Du-Bro.
I even put a ball link on the throttle arm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87585.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	518282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46078.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	518283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48049.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	518284  
Old 09-03-2006, 02:49 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JETT 50 BSE Nitro Planes Bobcat

That should be a GREAT combo! You may find yourself cutting that prop down another 1/2". (I'm running a 9x7 or 9x8 pusher on my GMS 47/Force 1). That really is a nice looking ARF for the money. If you haven't already, seal up the top of that elevator hinge line, as that will be where your exhaust residue ends up.

LOOKING GOOD......GOOD LUCK with your maiden!

Gary
Old 09-03-2006, 02:53 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

C4F

I have been running the bse 50 for about a year, yes its a great motor for sport. On the surface, I would not expect your bird to be "very fast" with all that gear hanging down, but lately have seen some very strange things flying fast and turning well. A Hobbico Avistar with 40" cut down wing powered by a K & B "screamer" is kicking my bse 50 butt in a near Q-40 design airframe (matney animal zoomer". A can not be but is situation. Would be great if your bird would be fast and would turn well. Keep us advised.
Old 09-04-2006, 11:58 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very pretty plane, you gotta tell us how it flies and it's top speed in level flight
Old 09-05-2006, 09:38 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK Bob....

how did it fly ????
( I know it cleared up for at least a while this weekend )
Old 09-05-2006, 02:13 PM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well the JETT BSE was great I followed Bob27 instructions for break in. That 50 had a great idle with out touching the low end needle. transition was very good for running very rich.

running APC 10x7 pusherprop turning up to 15,000 still running rich side
soon a 9x8 pusher will be installed

the bobcat flew well with 2.5 oz oof nose weight for final balance. 10.1" +/- .1"
first takeoff roll was a bit squirrly and went from pavement into the grass and the gear mount failed. yep the chineeze used hotmelt on about 25% of the availble glue area. The gear block runns fore/aft and was attached to one rib and the training edge stock. Some 5 min Z-poxie and 3/8 square balsa stock put it back together.

back to flying it! slow to rotate since the mains are too far back. a some elevator trim was added. Rolls were axial and quick I took about 10% out of my low rate and added 10 % more expo. I ran it out of fuel in less tha 5 mins deadstick into the weed bent all 3 gear back about 15 degrees. It sinks with out power but was able to pull the nose up just before the tops of the weeds. Lands nice with poer just carry power till you make the fence have your idle trim set right too much RPM and you may over shoot the runway.

It was not quite as fast as my F-20 Tiger shark but it has a pipe and is flully broken in.
next winter I will install a set of Spring Air 305.

I used two screw eyes and 2 #64 rubberbands to hold the wings on ala SIG Something Extra. I put the eyes in just ahead of the anti rotation pin and slots cut for them in the fuse. once the wing is on you can turn the eyes 1/4 turn and it becomes a backup to keeping the wings from comming off. Yes the wings are also held by the tailbooms and stab but there be a lot of flex in the 3 piece unit.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the Bobcat had 3 more flight on a windy Friday after work. Flys well like a pattern plane. needs some elevator input on inverted flight. It should have a bubbless tank installed.

I had to quit fling when elevator control started to fade...on a huge loop the I came out very close to the ground. about 80 feet lower than where I started. Also some pitch control was lost. Landed the plane and inspection fond the right tail boom was loose at the front mont. The screws were tight and the mount for the blind nut was loose! The wood blocks for the engine mount/support were showning signs of failure (compression). They will be replaced with aluminum blocks nert week.

Jett 50 started and ran flawlessly, turning an APC 10x7 P. Soon I will order a counter rotating crankshaft in order to get a better preforming prop.

Topspeed I would guess about 100... but I am still running the JETT 50 rich and I have do not have a 10x8 or 9x9 pusher prop to buy.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:08 PM
noahb
My Feedback: (67)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well, I am running a rossi 45 in mine right now, however I have a 90LX on the way. Not sure if I will run it or try and get a 60lx and sell the 90. Pusher prop selections stink. There is not much to choose from. I too am looking at getting a rev. crank. Here are some things I did before the first flight based on others exp.:

I removed the front hold down blocks in the booms and glued them back in with a 30 min. epoxy. I also applied epoxy to the rear block as well.
I put CA in the wing holes so that the screw would not compress the wood too much.
I installed one servo in the elevator (Hitech digital wing servo very thin) Did not trust the two servos at that angle to hold the elevator tight at higher speeds. May not be a problem.

The model does not like to rotate off the runway. So I raised the front gear up so that the jet had a few deg. above level. This made a huge diff.

I glued the my wings on as I did not want the trouble of assembly. I have another kit that I may leave the wings bolt on.

I fly at about 10-10.2 cg. Flys great and is not sensitive to elevator input.
Ailerons are very effective. Very fast roll rate.
Rudders seem to hold it in knife edge, but I have not got it to climb.

Bobcat flys great, could not ask much more from a $129 ARF.