Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

extreme speed contest

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

extreme speed contest

Old 11-13-2002, 08:28 PM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreme speed contest

what do you think, lets post pics of the radar speed of some extreme speed planes (prop driven only) and compare note's on going faster. air frame's, motors, props, fuel, plugs. kind like speed school for the a types of model planes. RR
Old 11-13-2002, 09:11 PM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default Well..

We know you got at least 207, and I don't have a radar gun.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:15 PM
Rocket

Default radar woe's

borrow mine!
Old 11-13-2002, 10:06 PM
ChuckAuger

Default LOL

Trust me..I'd love to be in Miami this time of year..but alas, I'm stuck here in Balmy Pampa. There is actually a Miami about 25 miles from here...but something tells me it ain't gonna be quite like yours.
Old 11-13-2002, 10:35 PM
banktoturn

Hey, no yelping about the weather! Some of us live in Minnesota.

If this could involve a standardized ( read cheap ) powerplant, I might try to get something in the air by the time spring rolls around. Kind of a Quickie drag racing event. This is kind of self-serving, because I am interested in trying out some airframe ideas for speed, but don't have the engine budget to buy serious hardware up front.

banktoturn
Old 11-13-2002, 11:22 PM
Rocket

Default old bones

do what everyone else does, RETIRE HERE. and you can fly every day but the one cold day we get once a year....
Old 11-13-2002, 11:56 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Speeds

Syd Clement and I hope to have some new speed readings soon. I just retuned my Jett FIRE 50 with the APC 8.8 X 9.75 and am very pleased with the 17,700 rpm I got. I plan to test that out on my well worn Diamond Dust. If it stays together it will definitely be retired after the next few flights. Syd's Whiplash is ready to go and I'm just waiting for a new Jett FIRE 50 for mine. Should have it in a few days.

I envy you guys in Florida and Texas! Last year around this time we had balmy weather in the Philadelphia area, as I recall we were flying right into December. This year it is on the cold side of seasonal so we are just waiting around for the inevitable few warm days we usually get around this time.
Old 11-13-2002, 11:58 PM
S3HD
My Feedback: (1)

What is the current time from order to arrival that Jett is promising for the Jett 50 FIRE????
Old 11-14-2002, 01:17 AM
ChuckAuger

Default Texas??

I must be in the wrong part of Texas.. we are just too high and right on the East side of the Rockies, nothing between us and Canada but a few barb wire fences. I scraped ice off the windshield this morning...

I hope to get to fly someday. I've set the engine in the Whiplash, but I haven't put any paint on it yet....I'd be happy for just a sunny day on the weekend so I could get some tach readings.

Dustflyer..the 8.8 X 9.75 sounds like it's gonna be a better choice than the 7.4 X 8.25, inch and a half of pitch ain't gonna hurt! See my "Prop" post below...I'm going the high pitch route, your testing had something to do with this decision By the numbers (which don't mean much) I'm supposedly faster at 17K than I was at 24K on the 8.25" pitch, this figured on 12" pitch, it might be more pitch now with over an inch whacked off each tip. I figure I was running 24K unloaded, I know I can get 17K unloaded on this prop. This engine turned a Zinger 11X10 cut to 10X10 over 16K static,(and that is not a very aerodynamic looking prop! LOL) so I'm hoping for 16K static with a few K of unloading. Now if the weather works for me....

My chunker is hankering to see this thing go. Even with the 65, I'm right at 4.25# less paint and pushrods, I hope for 4.5#.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:09 AM
matchlessaero

Default Entry #1

OK, Entry number one. (I put this up already once, but I want to see this contest get going, and the best way to get it going is to post)

Below is my Caliente 1/2 A Unlimited Pylon Racer. A few weekends ago, I got 91 mph with it. (Don't have a pic of the radar gun.....)

I was using a modified Russian Combat motor turning approx 26K on launch with a 3.5" pitch prop. Fuel was 25% Byrons.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35525_1630.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	22572  
Old 11-14-2002, 04:22 AM
matchlessaero

Default Entry # 2

Allright, here is entry #2 (no pic of plane available)

Stock ScatCat pylon racer, ready to race. Powered by a Stock Webra .28 motor with stock muffler. Running on stock 15% Omega fuel.

Final speed 92.95 MPH on two way run through speed trap.

A pic of the timesheet is below.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35532_1630.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	22573  
Old 11-14-2002, 06:20 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Pitch

Chuck,

I should have waited until I woke up this morning. I accidently made a reply to your post into a whole new thread.

If I sounded confused that's understandable, I confuse myself half the time. The point I think I was trying to make is that below a certain diameter of prop it doesn't matter how much rpm you turn, you won't have enough thrust to accomplish anything let alone go fast. A Nelson might be able to turn a 3" prop at 50,000 rpm but I doubt if that would even get a pylon racer off the ground.

Your idea of cutting down a fat Zinger prop is pretty interesting, I'll bet you see some good results with that. Like I said, I always believed my Dust was fastest with that APC 9X10 sport prop turning 16K plus on the ground. When I take it out for one last radar run I want to check it with that prop as well as the 8.8 X 9.75 which does indeed have a much narrower blade. It turns a thousand more rpm than the 9X10 with only a 1/4" less pitch. It will be interesting to compare the results.
Old 11-14-2002, 11:09 PM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Default Interesting side note:

That wider blade idea is worth looking into.

The Rare Bear (full size) has a 13' diameter 4 blade prop, the blades are a constant 18" wide. They fly at full throttle and adjust pitch to keep RPM under 3200. Above that and the blade tips go over mach 1.
Old 11-16-2002, 12:52 AM
Lownverted

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Actually its 3 bladed.....I have some pics of it at Reno during a heat. You can't believe how much pitch they have to run to keep from over speeding the engine. They are nearly feathered!

Later
Red

P.S. The blades are off of a P-3 Orion
Old 07-22-2009, 09:44 PM
polishedbrother

Default RE: extreme speed contest

check out my video!
Rare AlleyCat Video 216 M.P.H.!
The only AlleyCat video on the net!!!
Old 07-22-2009, 10:20 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: extreme speed contest

ORIGINAL: polishedbrother

check out my video!
Rare AlleyCat Video 216 M.P.H.!
The only AlleyCat video on the net!!!
You're only 7 years late for this thread..

Mayeb start your own thread, and where is the video link?

MJD