Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Webra Speed .61 vs. the .50GT?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Webra Speed .61 vs. the .50GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Webra Speed .61 vs. the .50GT?

I'm thinking of replacing the Webra .50 in my WM Dago Red with a NIB Speed .61 I've been "saving"...

I'm just wondering here...if I can get as many RPM with more prop, or more RPM with the same prop to make the swap worth while?

Right now, I'm seeing 13,600 to 14,000 (depending on temp. ) with the .50 with an APC 10 X 8 and 15% Powermaster, O.S. #8, and an Ultra Thrust muffler...

We had the N.Y State troopers out visiting one day. They used one end of the 10,000' runway for their vehicle "emergency and avoidance manuvers" and had a laser and radar gun with them...and I got "gunned" at between 117 and 123 up-wind and down-wind.

What kind or RPM is the Speed .61 capable of? I will get a Jettstream or another U-T for it...
I'm hoping for something close to the same RPM or a little more w/ maybe a 10 X 9...what do ya think would work best for that engine to give me a little more speed?

Is the .61 timed/ported to get the RPM that the .50 does?
Old 09-19-2006, 07:10 PM
proptop

Default RE: Webra Speed .61 vs. the .50GT?

I also have a YS .45 SE that I just put ceramic / SS bearings in...has great compression...not much time on it.
Got a Macs 7.5cc open pipe too...would just need a header...(hmmm...)

Something inside me wants to go bigger though, with the Webra .61...

If you guys were doing it, which would you go with???
Old 09-19-2006, 08:02 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! You got good taste!

I am not familiar with the Webra-61, I would bench run it on a couple props. to see where she is in relation to the 50 or others--- The YS-45/ Piped is a HECK of a combo. and mine really liked turning the 10x8.

I would be inclined to try the 61 if it is not too much work, cuz it'd be fun to experiment with (IMHO).

I have a Rossi-60 and full quiet pipe that turns an 11x7 @ 14.5K and a 12x7 @ 13.4K (My YS-63FZ turned the 11x7 @ 11.5K) I also have a YS-60RE long-stroke that I am "saving" I wonder what it'll do??

Wait about 6 hours though and you'll get Bob and others in here who KNOW the 61

Love the Dago---
Old 09-20-2006, 01:15 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

They have some prop suggestions http://www.webra-austria.at/motor.php?lang=EN (look at the power/weight 50,55,61& 61c)
If you have the Webra 61 "C" Rear exhaust ,you got a monster!
If you go with a tuned pipe & header you can tune for max power. Like a Mac's quiet pipe. Iv'e had great results.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:02 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The Webra speed 61 is fairly high timed - runs very well on a pipe or a tuned muffler.

Question comes down to whether you can accomodate the weight..... it weighs more than the W50.

10x9 should be pretty easy, likely give you what you are looking for. Back in pattern days, 13" pipe setup, 11x7.5, around 13K rpm for launch on a good day. Unloaded nicely.
Old 09-20-2006, 03:09 PM
proptop

Thanks guys
With the .50 it balances near the aft limit, so the added wt. of the .61 will be no problem...will be welcomed actually, and that's another reason I have been thinking of using it. Right now, the batt. is up in the tank compt. and I might have to move it back, so I don't think it will be nose heavy if I do that.

(a friend had a Fitzpatrick .61 in his and that was definitely nose heavy! )

I think I'll try a Jettstream for the Speed .61 for "packaging" reasons besides, I think a full len. pipe will hit the wing...and probably cause more drag, huh? (it's just a std. side exh. FF )

Yesterday I ordered the .55's carb...it has a 13mm neck...same as the .50 and .61
I was thinking of using it on the .50, but I think it will work even better on the .61 especially w/ the Jettstream.

The stock .50 / 61 carb has an 8mm venturi and the .55's is 9.5mm so...I'm hoping for good things...[sm=thumbup.gif]