Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

My Revver-Killer (Magnum R)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My Revver-Killer (Magnum R)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Revver-Killer (Magnum R)

I apologize if this has been done before but I wanted to get a thread going on the build of my new "Revver-Killer". I had been wanting one of these for a long time but I either did not have the scratch or the US supplier/agent was non-responsive, fortunately for me Airgar had one with the West-50 NIB so we made a trade. (He still has an Angel designed Rifle and Jett-50 so he let the Magnum R go to a new loving home)

With the Revvers in just one month I needed to make a move towards speed-respectability

Initial thoughts are:

Packaged well, everything is actually there (woo-hoo right?). Instructions are basic with only a few photos which is fine since this is a straight forward build, the former behind the tank needs to be shaved to allow the tank to sit lower- per an addendum on the manual. (Tank height problem maybe?)

Engine is beautiful, Weston includes purple coupler and zip-ties.

The engine mount is installed and pre-drilled for the West-50 so that is great!

The wing is very thin (I figured it would be) and the fit in the saddle is near perfect. I performed a dry-fit and the vert stab and horiz. stabs fit snug and easily into the fuse-

Not much to it I will update the thread if:
A. Anyone cares-
B. I find anything to wine about.
C. To ask current Mag owners like Cobra, stupid questions about using an RC car chassis to reinforce the belly. (for example) Also, even though this info. is SOMEWHERE on RCU, probably questions about hinging, sealing the gaps, and engine break-in experiences.

Time to make a BIG "Collins" and head out to the shed to jack this thing up--

See pics<>

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17671.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	528019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37908.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	528020   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75939.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	528021  
Old 09-21-2006, 06:52 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: My Revver-Killer (Magnum R)

Sweet plane Razor![sm=thumbs_up.gif]

You better let me take it up for you to make sure everything is working ok for the first flight![sm=wink_smile.gif]

Their will be no charge at all for this service![sm=tongue_smile.gif]

Yeah right!

After seeing my divot machine in action with me at the controls you probably wouldn't let me fly your simulator!

Ok, OK, I'll trade you some Carne Asada if you let me hold it![X(]

Man, what is this get together coming too![sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

SJ
Old 09-21-2006, 07:51 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm backin' Razor too on this one....we need someone to go up
against those DEP's (damned electric planes) before we really get
whooped. [X(]

Go gettum' James....[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 09-21-2006, 09:54 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be in town Friday night to put it togeather for you! You won't be dis-appointed, a clubmate of mine has one and it cooks with a .46AX never mind the West.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:56 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me tell ya, James was like a kid in a candy store.

I look forward to the the "build" Keep us posted

Old 09-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sweet looking speed freak! Kinda like The Fast and the Furious with wings.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

One thing I wish my Magnum had, would be a larger fuel tank. With the West 50, I'm only getting 2 minutes on the stock fuel tank (I assume it's the stock fuel tank in there--as I bought the plane RTF on RCU).

2 minutes may be enuf time for me to do some things, but not flying

James, can you stuff a bigger fuel tank in there?

Also, put some thin plastic film or some other protector on the bottom of the Mag, as Rabbit Dry Lake likes to eat airplane bottoms.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:13 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I can imagine the smile on his fast
ORIGINAL: AirGar

Let me tell ya, James was like a kid in a candy store.

I look forward to the the "build" Keep us posted

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Razor-RCU

Now if I could just get Gary to trade me his Rifle/ Jett-50 for my 22 year old horse! (JK)

Okay, I will settle for just a FLIGHT REPORT GARY!

I plan on running in the West today the instructions are pretty vague... Seems you run 1 tank below peak (9x6 or 9x7) then set idle adj. (Good explanation of pinch test BTW) and go!

Bob? Cobra? Break-in? I do not usually trust the directions [X(]
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Same break-in proceedure as for the Jett. Put a 9x6 on it, take it to rpm while it is still just a bit rich. Shoot for about 17K rpm. Pipe will probably take it right there. A couple of tanks like that. (if you have an old 10x6 or pylon prop, use one of those, cut it down a bit - safer with the bigger hub). Then start loading prop on it. Find peak, back off a bit.

Best way to find out what tune point you are at, is to go from a 9x7 to 9x8 to a 9x9 - see at what point the engine started becoming hard to needle and runs weird/surges trying to get on the pipe. Then back off a prop - careful not to get it hot

Do you know what length the pipe is set ? Stock header or has it be cut ?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:31 PM
AirGar

Hey James,

Just be thankful I won't be at the Revver's II with the Rifle/Jett 50.......I'd hate to embarass you with your "new" toy.

Let us know how she runs. I ran the 9x7 after break in.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:32 AM
Razor-RCU

The Rifle is wicked fast so you will be missed Gary!

Bob- That is what I was figuring... The header is set for a 9x7 per the manual and they say to hack off 1" if going to an 8x8 I got the box yesterday and it is almost finished... The elevator linkage seemed shady but it is pretty strong- I got anxious and mounted the engine so I will run it up on the airplane. (Easier that my bench with the pipe and everything...

I put a 645MG on ail. and a 945MG on Elev. I just could not bring myself to using Futaba 3003's or somethin'. (They probably work fine but I had these "laying" around...)

Cobra- The tank looks to be 8 oz. (I forget the CC's and it is not right here--) I will have to dremel the tank compartment to get it in there.

Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for the help!
James
Old 09-23-2006, 12:15 PM
AirGar

James,

Double check the elevator linkage set up. As I recall, the stock set up was kinda hokie with the original Mag and I had to modify it. Perhaps the "R" version is better?

Good choices on the servos!

Gary
Old 09-23-2006, 10:04 PM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

How about using 2 ball links ,, ON THE ELE. 1 on the top of the servo arm and 1 on the bottom . Use a longer screw and bolt them on . it wll be screw,ball link,servo arm,ball link,bolt. I have been doing that. works great.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 AM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

The stock Magnum tank is around 7.5 oz. I replaced mine with a 6 oz. Bubble-Jett tank, because that's what I had on hand
for my Q500's, and got #1) steadier running and #2) longer run-time than with the stock tank, in spite of it being smaller.
The stock tank fits so tight, there isn't much room for any padding, you WILL get foaming. The Bubble-Jett 8 oz. standard
tank also ought to just fit, and would be my first choice. Just my $0.02. Good Luck!
Old 09-24-2006, 01:14 PM
Razor-RCU

Angel- Good idea! I finished it stock (well I added wire inserts to "stiffen it a bit" and it is pretty sturdy...

E Delta- Yup! I was just dremeling the tank area (per manual) to get the stock tank in there.... TIGHT fit, foaming is right! I gotta get a Jett tank I suppose- I hate it when something is simple as a fuel tank does not fit...

EDIT: I just oredered a bubble-free tank from Jett-

I would rather have less run-time and an insulated tank with no foam

The Throttle linkage is soo thick I could not get smooth movement so I had to use a smaller rod and quick connect... geesh
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM
AirGar

James,

You have an update? Curious as to what you think of the West 50.

C'mon Buddy, don't leave us hangin'!

Gary
Old 09-26-2006, 04:42 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Electric Delta

The stock Magnum tank is around 7.5 oz. I replaced mine with a 6 oz. Bubble-Jett tank, because that's what I had on hand
for my Q500's, and got #1) steadier running and #2) longer run-time than with the stock tank, in spite of it being smaller.
The stock tank fits so tight, there isn't much room for any padding, you WILL get foaming. The Bubble-Jett 8 oz. standard
tank also ought to just fit, and would be my first choice. Just my $0.02. Good Luck!
I use an 8oz Jett tank on mine, and get a good run right to the end, altough wise folk shut down before you get there. Engine never hiccups or acts up.

9-6 APC, 10% synthetic fuel I tached about 18k running in a fat 2-cycle. This is a good prop choice for the trim flights. Weston recommendations are stock header for 8-10 (lousy prop but anyhow..), 1/2" off for 8-9, 1" off for 8-8. It is a good idea to pick up a few APC pylon props in the 8-9.25 pitch range, and experiment with those rather than dicking with sport props at near 20k rpm.

Hand launches are a cinch with the 9-6, not much problem with the 8-8, throw harder with the 8-9, and I have not used the 8-10 yet but hear lanuches are dicey. Don't have a wuss toss the airplane, get someone on it that will give you some airspeed, and lay off the sticks until it has accelerated, well unless you have to do something that is!

I rebuilt the elevator linkage after hearing more than one horror story about elevator failures with stock hardware. I too use heavier servos, no reason not to, right?

It is NOT a 200 mph airplane. I would be surprised if mine has bettered 150 mph.

When you are tired of the Magnum, you could always bolt the West .50 to a Q500 ARF.

Magnums glide like an F-4 Phantom. When the engine quits, glide fast, turn easy, set up and land now. Put some skid tape on the belly.

It's a fun airplane. Oh yes, don't overdo the control throws either - expo is always good, I don't use dual rates anymore. First time I flew mine I snapped it in the first turn after the engine quit. After cinching up the cuffs on my pantlegs, I landed okay, but decided I would not do that again, and removed the offending elevator throw.

Fly with the rearmost recommended CG - the recommendations are very forward, which makes it "groovy" but a ***** to flare at all and really heavy in the turns. If you lay out the planform and do a standard NP and CL workup, you'll be surprised where it tells you the CG should be - 190mm or more from the LE. Some Euro fliers fly them there apparently, but I would wait until "later" for those experiments.

MJD
Old 09-29-2006, 04:19 PM
Razor-RCU

Thanks MJD- I am using the Bubble-Jet 6 oz. tank (I had already ordered it when I saw your 8 oz. rec.

I do not have the "Tanker" or a syringe to fill with but I HAD to turn this baby over for a second I carefully used a hand pump to put a few oz. in and it started with the first touch of the starter- After I tested my throttle kill on my TX I decided to flip it once by hand and it started right up! Amazing...

Didn't open her up as I had it on the bench not in a dolly or with a 2nd person to help---

Anyhow, what is the recommended CG (not factory) from you folks actually flying this thing?

Cheers!
Old 09-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Electric Delta

On the Magnum (not R), I am flying with the CG 145 mm back from the leading edge where it meets the fuselage.
I don't know if the wing geometry has changed on the R version. I have no trouble to get the nose up to flare for
landing, but the speed needs to be kept up pretty high until that point. This plane lands VERY HOT, and drops like a
red brick with the motor off; trying to "milk it in" is a recipe for disaster. Flying too slow will hurt what little glide ratio
the plane has left a lot and risk a stall, not to mention spongy controls. Keep it fast, up until it is time to flare, and all
should go well.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:24 PM
cobratraxxas69

Oh Razor,

I forgot to tell you, DON"T flare more than a few degrees (around 5, 10 MAX), otherwise one side of the horizontal stabilizer (with it's anhedral) will contact the ground and rip off (it happened to me at Rabbit)!!!! [X(][X(]
Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Razor-RCU

Cobra- WHERE IS YOUR CG THE MOST HAPPY? (Also, your the math guy, what is the MM converted to inches?

FYI- I plan on lading UBER-fast so no worries...
Old 09-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Electric Delta

145 mm = 5.71"... 5-3/4" is surely close enough. My 145 mm figure is definitely NOT tail-heavy, my Magnum flies smoothly
(check the video I posted on rcuvideos.com: http://www.rcuvideos.com/view_video....7b62254211691b ).
Old 09-29-2006, 09:25 PM
cobratraxxas69

Hi Razor,

I have my CG at 5 inches back from where the leading edge hits the fuselage. 1 inch = 25.4 mm, thus 5 inches = 127 mm

But after reading this post:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3431732

It seems like those guys are using 135-145 mm. Rest assured mine does fly at 127 mm (it's funny, it seemed faster when I placed a video camera on it and moved the CG even more forward).

I wonder if I would fly faster at the 145 mm extreme??[&:]
Old 09-29-2006, 09:28 PM
Crash-D

Now thats movin. Did you ever get a radar on it?

And Does anyone have the Weston Web page i tried WestonUSA.com but they said it moved or something. And the only other site i found with the Magnum is British and so it's sold in Lbs.

Thanks ahead of time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.