Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

OS 91 or Evo 1.00 for Little Toni?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

OS 91 or Evo 1.00 for Little Toni?

Old 10-03-2006, 09:26 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 91 or Evo 1.00 for Little Toni?

I have ordered a little toni and am deciding between these two engines. I have an os 120ax and it has been running fine on my pattern plane, but a friend of mine claims the 91, at least the three he has seen at our field are finicky. Either they are hard to adjust or just don't run that smooth. I know it is only one person's opinion, but the Evo engines at the same field seem to be running good, although I haven't seen the 100 yet. Anyways, I am trying to decide between these two engines. The Evo is ~4oz heavier than the OS ( and $40 cheaper), but at least the muffler isn't the size of a baseball bat. I can't afford a JETT 91 and have no interest in a ST90, so what's really left other than the OS or EVO? I know a lot of guys are running 91's on the Toni, so I don't think the Evo would be overpowering it that much more, but I am looking at it from more of a reliability standpoint. Comments appreciated.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:44 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Default RE: OS 91 or Evo 1.00 for Little Toni?

Unless you are all-out going racing with someone, Id probably give the Evo 100 a try.

Put a 13x6 or 12x9 prop on it and it should turn up around 12,000 rpm

Muffler install and selection is the tricky part with the Toni. The Evo has the same 42mm bolt spacing as the OS, so you can used the same muffler options with either the OS or Evo.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:07 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well you have yourself cornered there a bit then... OS or Evo and the OS's are finicky? (I have read that about the 91FX) Go Evo!

Any particular reason you do not like the G-90?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:10 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

How about an OS-1.08?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:27 PM
jzinckgra

Well you have yourself cornered there a bit then... OS or Evo and the OS's are finicky? (I have read that about the 91FX) Go Evo!

Any particular reason you do not like the G-90
I am leaning towards the Evo, but I am wodering if the OS still has problems such as air bubble development in fuel line from remote needle. There was a long thread started back in 2003 about the 91fx and its associated problems. Have most of these been remedied? I really would have sprung for the OS until I read a few threads and spoke with my friend. Although, there are good reports on the engine too. I guess I should mention that I may put a pitts muffler on the Toni to minimize the hack job to the cowl.
Regarding the ST90, again, I've haven't heard great things about the engines ever since the Italians stoppped making them. I have an older ST45 that runs fine, but I am skeptical about the newer ones. I know that's not a good reason to diss an engine, especially w/o personal experience, but I am reluctant to buy one to find out that it's no good.

I also noticed from the Toni manual that installation of the os91 may require some removal of the firewall to clear the muffler.
I should also mention that I have a Saito 91, currently in a Dago Red, but I wasn't impressed with the speed of the Dago and figure it wouldn't push the toni that much faster, therefore I'd rather go 2 stroke.
Old 10-03-2006, 12:38 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the OS 91 and the G90, and the G90 wins hands down. In fact, if someone gave me a OS 91, I'd trade it for a G90.

I am not familiar with the Evolution brand, but I have heard good and bad.

BTW, the G90 I had the Slimline Pitts muffler, which was in the WM Midget Mustang.

What are the prices of these 3?

Gary
Old 10-03-2006, 12:40 PM
jzinckgra

Gary,
See my edited post above.
The prices are:
Evo 100: $169
OS 91: $209
ST90: $119

These are Tower/Horizon prices and also the same as my LHS.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:40 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I agree with Gar there.... nothing wrong with the ST90. With the rebate offered at the moment, its a pretty good value.

The OS91 is capable of a bit higher rpm, when using at tuned exhaust system. The ST90 with a tuned exhaust is pretty good too, but with bigger props, and a bit lower rpm. The Evo, from what I have seen, is somewhere in between these too.

The ST and OS worried of the past are pretty much just that - passed. Most problems these days result from using the wrong exhaust, or poor tank/plumbing installations.

Its kind of a toss up.
Old 10-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the G90 in my Shoestring. Moves real good.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 PM
jzinckgra

Just got back from the hobbyshop. Went with the Evo. Here's hoping the wings don't rip off
Old 10-03-2006, 08:54 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

jzinckgra
Hope you are not looking for fast out of the Little Tony, its just not there when they got through making the design into a sport model. The Alley Cat is a tad faster out of the box, but not much. This based on a LT and AC fly off earlier this year, both with Jett 90's same prop and fuel. Have both, disappointed in both. Regardless, the Tony is a nice looking bird when finished reasonable and a good all around sport flyer. Could get mine to hang on the prop, not really a hover. Not hard to land either. Regardless, ENJOY Rever 119
Old 10-03-2006, 10:01 PM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

dont mind roger he is a hard one to please. I fly the toni at my field and most wouldnt want to fly it because it is too fast. with the evo you are going to have good reliable sport flier and will still be faster than what most people would fly.