Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston-50 Seizes, Magnum trashed...

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston-50 Seizes, Magnum trashed...

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Weston-50 Seizes, Magnum trashed...

Something as tiny as a piece of glow plug element, or wrist pin circlip can stop a screaming engine right now. If the mixture was good, I would suspect a UFO inside the engine. Weston takes the stock engine apart to do their magic on it? They could have goofed on replacing the circlips.
If you can figure out the MAC of that wing, it should fly, like just about any other wing, at 25% for the CG. It sounds like the plane would be a better performer with more wing area, or lighter gear. I would down size all the gear and settle for short flights.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:23 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom- I do think Enya engines are great but they are great for longevity, not for power... [X(]

My 50SS is brand spankin' new, I ran it for a minute and put it away... I don't want too much power anyway, then the nose might just split off (again)

Maybe Weston will turn a miracle and get an the West-50 back to me for race day...

Vic- The Jett-50 (which itself was fried when I bought it here on RCU- unbeknownst to me) is in the Patriot, remember the Flyboy Dave killer?
Old 10-09-2006, 08:49 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

After further inspection there are little "metal pieces" sitting on top of the piston--- I emailed Weston UK with all the details, I am hoping they make me "whole" again. Even if that happens now I have an ugly thrashed, and VERY heavy "looks repaired but cross your fingers it stays together" Magnum.

I started gluing, and patching, and glassing (5 oz. glass) --- Shaker can black, as I did not have yellow and tada!

I did this all super-fast due to my irritability.... I bet it comes apart EVEN with the Enya-50SS up front
James,

Stopping suddenly means it ate something, broke a rod, crank, pin, or something.

Just send Alan the engine. He is not real sharp when it comes to emails. If you do not hear back rapidly, do not be surprised. Phone call can be better (get one of those international phone cards).

Bob
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Razor-RCU

Alan emailed me this morning, he just said to send it to him in the UK. Pretty fast response, Monday morning!

Will keep you posted-
Old 10-10-2006, 09:51 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What Bob said. He stinks at email communications, but was very helpful on the phone and the service I got regarding my own motor failure was extremely fast.

Mine failed 20-30 seconds into the first static run - the big end bushing disintegrated. Weston blamed it on the fuel (funny that from a company that also makes fuel.. ) but I have my doubts... Was running in a smoky two cycle when BZZZZZZZZZZZZPPPPPPP! He repaired it, ran it for while and sent it back and it was back in my hand less than two weeks after I sent it - not bad for overseas mail and repair. It runs like a champ now.

As to glide - I laid out the flying surfaces and did a standard neutral point workup. I was most surprised to find that by normal methods, the CG should be around 190mm or more back. This is some contrast to the recommended 135-145mm or whatever it is. I started flying mine at 145mm and it still felt nose heavy, mind you some of that feel could simply be from the wing loading and high drag in turns. Apparently there are some folk in Europe flying these around at CG's about where I mentioned. I have not gone anywhere near that far back yet. Sometime.

MJD

Old 10-10-2006, 11:03 PM
AirGar
My Feedback: (7)

I was at 135/137 CG. and it was NOT enuff. Bring it back and you should be fine,

AirGar

I find it hard to believe there are "bad" runs with this this engine......it is a sweetheart.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Razor-RCU

Beg to differ Gary
Old 10-17-2006, 09:46 PM
AirGar

Any word yet James?
Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 PM
Razor-RCU

It is boxed up and in my car.... Now that I am humping a day job I need to find a post office and hit it at lunch I guess...

I have the Enya-50SS in the Maggie and she is tuned and ready for this weekend--- Who needs a West when I have that Ringed monster in there---
Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 AM
AirGar

I guess that means you never found the Scat Cat/Jett 50, huh? What kind of numbers you getting out of that Enya?
Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 PM
Razor-RCU

I am working dark to drak so I have been running it in my "shed", where the RPM is always 300 Stupid flourescent lights
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 AM
AirGar

From dark to "drak", eh? SOUNDS like a long day......on MARS.

Have ya mailed in the West 50 yet?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:30 AM
MJD

I am working dark to drak so I have been running it in my "shed", where the RPM is always 300 Stupid flourescent lights
Isn't it 1800?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: MJD

Isn't it 1800?
3600 I get the same rpm from all engines in the shop too. Even the rubber power!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only if you are on 60Khz. What rpm do you get, say, in EU with 50Khz?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:09 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Actually, it's 60 Hz (not kHz) AC power in the US, Canada and Mexico and 50 Hz in much of the rest of the world. 3600 and 3000 rpm
respectively will show up on an optical tach. I've test run my electric motors and engines in the evening with just a flashlight or lantern
on to illuminate what I'm doing and provide enough light for the tach to pick up on the prop blades zipping by. Since the flashlight or
lantern is DC powered, the light doesn't flicker like it would with the line frequency of AC power. You really need to turn off all the AC
powered lights around to avoid fooling the tach, unless you have broad daylight.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:40 PM
Razor-RCU

Uh, I meant 3600 ... But with a 9x9
Old 10-20-2006, 11:09 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: bob27s
3600 I get the same rpm from all engines in the shop too. Even the rubber power!

BRAIN FART!

You're right - forgot there are two flickers per cycle which makes each cycle look like one revolution of a 2 blade prop. DOH! Been a while since I held a tach up to a fluorescent bulb.

(hey, I just noticed the code text for the "Rolling Eyes" smiley looks just like Terrance and Philip. Now that's an important observation..)
Old 11-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Razor-RCU

Got an email from Alan at Weston UK and my West is on it's way back to me!

He said the old style conrod broke, so they fixed it good as new and at no cost to me. (Except my shipping it to them)

Awesome service!

Too bad the magnum is already a Frankenstein, held together with fiberglass and zap-
Old 11-03-2006, 12:20 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

....I forgot....if your motor stopped instantly, the rod might have broken. []
Old 11-03-2006, 01:23 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

I'd like to see the "new" version of the connecting rod...
Both of the .50's I have have the same rod...probably the "old" one?

Razor...when you get the engine back, 'spose you could take a pic w/ the backplate removed so we can see if there's anything obviously different? I'm thinking more meat around the bushing perhaps? Don't know if that's possable though, cuz it's pretty tight clearance wise down there...(maybe stronger material? )

I just overhauled a Webra .50 for a friend that pulled the bottom end of the rod out. His had / has the same style rod as mine.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:22 AM
MJD

Reading between the lines, I bet Weston has had more rod failures than we've heard of on this forum or been told about. There are more than one of us here who have trashed a rod, although mine gave up on the first run (I was told that "first run rod failure" is a known phenomenon with high performance engines) versus letting go later on in life.

See attached - this happened on the first run. I had just tweaked it into a rich two-cycle on an APC 9-6 and run it there for maybe 10-15 seconds.

At least their engine repair service is excellent, can't ask for more than that, esp. if you accept that with more highly stressed engines something is going to let go once in a while.

MJD

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29144.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	553666  
Old 11-03-2006, 11:49 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

MJD: Just an observation here. You see all those machining marks? Those bother me. Stress risers. That is why I take my rods out and polish them smooth all around to reduce those stressers. Not saying that was the reason for your particular case.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:14 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: Kmot

MJD: Just an observation here. You see all those machining marks? Those bother me. Stress risers. That is why I take my rods out and polish them smooth all around to reduce those stressers. Not saying that was the reason for your particular case.
I don't disagree at all, though I would expect stress fractures to rear their ugly head after some running time has been accumulated.

In my case, the bushing was badly worn and distorted, so I am guessing it got beat to death first due to lack of lubrication or ??, then the pounding on the big end of the rod (and heat) tore that up. The bushing was hogged out to the point of being a sloppy fit on the crankpin, and it fell out of the rod when I took it apart, which I suppose is to be expected when the big end is almost ripped open like that. The whole big end seems to have had a rough time in it's short life.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

I've been using the heat gun to take most of the pinch out of a new engine before I start
them up for the first time....yanking the rod in and out of the pinch for the first 5 seconds
is really hard on the rod....some of them get stretched during that period and fail. []

The best thing to do to a rod after polishing it is sand blasting it to remove the stresses.

It's really glass bead blasting in a Hydro-hone machine, but sand blasting is an easier description.

FBD.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.