Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Couple questions about my Jett Quickie -->

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Couple questions about my Jett Quickie -->

Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Couple questions about my Jett Quickie -->

I have a Jett Quickie that I got second hand. Compression feels good, and when I took the piston and ran it in the cylinder, it still had a lot of sqeeze at the top. I think it is in pretty decent shape. But it has a couple things I would like an opinion on.

First, is this area on the piston that looks like a chunk could break off at any time. Should I get a new piston?

Second, are the marks inside the liner. Look unusual to me.

Third, what does it mean when an "X" has been scribed on the crankcase?

Fourth, what kind of glow plugs does this thing use? They are huge!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65701.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	536801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni23189.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	536802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38786.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	536803   Click image for larger version

Name:	At54894.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	140.9 KB
ID:	536804   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rc41189.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	536805   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77707.jpg
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	536806  
Old 10-07-2006, 10:17 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Couple questions about my Jett Quickie -->

Your glow plug is STILL in the head button.

I use K&B 1L

K&B 1L McCoy59 plugs Are some of the ones that is recomended.

for more information:

http://www.jettengineering.com/
Old 10-07-2006, 10:29 PM
Kmot

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Your glow plug is STILL in the head button.
No kidding????????

But thanks......
Old 10-07-2006, 10:51 PM
MyWay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its hard to tell from the pics but you might need a nelson plug which is not 1/4-32.
Old 10-07-2006, 11:37 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

....Tom....the "X" probably meant...."time to get rid of this old engine"...
Old 10-08-2006, 11:47 AM
Kmot

Buggha!

Well, I know that Dub Jett has a "Scratch & Dent" listing on his website where you can e-mail for "specials" and I was wondering if this "X" meant it was one of those. Or perhaps the former owner, a racer, put his own "X" on it to distinguiish this "fastest of all Jett's" from his ordinary ones.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:56 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Well I would definitely NOT put this in a new airframe until it is well tested... It just so happens I have a repaired airframe that I would be willing to test the engine in, free of charge!

LOL

"X" marks the spot, obviously... What that spot means, I dunno

Tom you scare me a little... You have a nice clean towel layed out with no wrinkles, apparently brand-new props. You place captions on your pics (I don't even know how to do that) and you post them in sequence. Do not take it personally but I believe that you are quite possible a serial-killer. (I am an RC/FBI Profiler [not profile airplanes])

Have a great day
Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Kmot

Old 10-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Tom you scare me a little... You have a nice clean towel layed out with no wrinkles,...
It is called OCD. Don't ask me how I know.

I think we need Bob B on this one. It may be very old as I didn't see the size or name on it that is usually on Jett engines.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:14 PM
Kmot

I just finished 'hot tanking' the engine. I think I am going to do one of my specialty paint jobs on this thing. Anyway, the bearings are interesting. They are shielded on one side only, but not totally enclosed. There is a small gap for oil to pass through. And they are etched, "Swiss Made". Is that why a Jett runs like a Swiss watch?

Aren't Jett's supposed to have serial numbers?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:58 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Kmot: Suggest you package the engine up and send it into D Jett for evaluation. Dub will repair as needed and not overcharge you, or parts you to death. Just sent him my 50L that went streight in WFO from about 500 feet up, guess 150 plus. Hit so hard the battery went through the tank, through the 1/4" firewall and finally stoped after denting in the rear fins back to the block. Bent the carb up, but looks useable. Carb was wide open, hit the dirt with enough force to push dirt into the crankcase and into the combustion chamber. Pipe not damaged. If this was any other motor, it would be in multiple pieces. Strange deal, PCM receiver did not go to failsafe, ting just quit respoinding to controls, went up, circled back and in. Real scarry. Enjoy Bro # 119
Old 10-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Kmot

rmenke: That sounds like a nightmare! Good thing it didn't hit anything else but the dirt! [X(]

This engine I have is already a runner. I don't think I need to send it back to DJ but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:21 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Where did you pick up the engine ??

The engine uses a nelson plug. I recommend the HD version. Jett, PSP, Darrol Cady have them available.

It looks like someone tried to clean or hone the liner. Hard to tell. Older liners were setup a bit like this. If they did not generally a good thing, but if they left the seal along you are ok. If I see things correctly, you have an AAC version - aluminum liner. Chrome surface looks good at the seal.

Backplate shown there is a nelson backplate. Dub made either square, X-shape , or circular 3-hole backplates. No real issue, the backplates are all interchangeable Jett-Nelson wise.

The engine, in general, is 'old'. Likely a 1994-95 version. Muffler and black drive washer is a giveaway.

The X on the side.... unusual - expecially since the case is not signed or numbered. On various occations a few of us ran 'factory second' engines using wood-be scrap parts. They ran fine, but they could not be sold as production engines. Not sure if this is one of them.

Im not sure from the photo in the picture, but if that pistion is damaged.. eeek ! Looks like one of the original cast pistions - so what I believe we are seeing there is a casting pit or goof. Not a problem there if it is in the casting.

On the racing engines, neither of the bearings should have a shield or seal on it. They were not produced that way.
(edit - should you have need to change them in the future, usually worth using open gage bearing on the main, and you can put a shielded one on the front - keeps mess down for sport use)

Main concern/note here - if that is indeed a Version 1 crankcase, you will not likely be able to get parts. Hard to tell 100% from the photo. The piston, liner, pin are different sizes in the current version crankcase (V.2 1998 on). Ask Razor about that situation. Just be careful with it

My advise, put it together and run it. If it runs fairly well and to your liking as a fun sport engine, enjoy it.

Do not over-prop it. Try an 8.8x8.5 or and 8.75x8W to start with.
(edit: Less prop will allow the engine easily get to the operating rpm - easy to needle, avoids getting hot )

Bob

(edit, spelling, note on the liner)
Old 10-09-2006, 09:58 AM
Kmot

Where did you pick up the engine ??
From a guy here on RCU.

If I see things correctly, you have an AAC version - aluminum liner.
Yes, it is aluminum.

Im not sure from the photo in the picture, but if that pistion is damaged.. eeek ! Looks like one of the original cast pistions - might be a casting goof.
Definitely a casting issue. It has lasted so far. So.........

On the racing engines, NEITHER of the bearings should have a shield or seal on it. They were not produced that way.
Must have been rebuilt somewhere along the line then.

Main concern here - if that is indeed a Version 1 crankcase, you will not likely be able to get parts. Hard to tell 100% from the photo. The piston, liner, pin are different sizes in the current version crankcase (V.2 1999 on). Ask Razor about that nightmare .
Bummer. Okay Razor, whatup?

The X on the side.... unusual - expecially since the case is not signed or numbered. On various occations a few of us ran 'factory second' engines using wood-be scrap parts.
Conclusion: this must be one of the reject engines that somehow found its way into general circulation. I will use it as a sport engine which is all I intended it to be anyway.

Bob, thank you very much for the insight!

-Tom
Old 10-09-2006, 10:24 AM
bob27s

I think you will be good with the engine there Kmot...

Looks in general to be in ok shape. Should provide some good service life yet.
Old 10-09-2006, 11:20 AM
diggs_74

I will chime in as I sold him the engine.. I never did have it apart but I did run it on the bench with a 8.75x8.75 and it turned up pretty well.. I orginally got it to put on a D-Dust or something like that but just never got around to it.. I do know that it was run in the 428(Q-500) class by one of the guys up north when they first started but I'm unsure who the original owner was.. Kmot, if there is any problem with the engine let me know and I'll make things right..
Old 10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
bob27s

he should be ok there Diggs

I have a couple of those old ones at home too. One has a grain in the piston that puts the one here to shame... never missed a beat.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:26 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

If that is the motor I think it is, I was probably the last one to use it before Diggs acquired it. The motor belonged to my father-in-law and I used it (borrowed) as my first 428 Q500 engine untill I was able to save up enough money to buy my first Nelson (no offense Bob)

That was in 1999 and it was probably raced for a few years before that. It was a very good runner for me and my father-in-law before that. It was a very good motor then, and I'm sure its got plenty of life in it. Just prop it on the light side and you will be fine.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:27 PM
diggs_74

Good to know Bob, thanks.. Like I said, it turned up ok on the bench.. I knew it wasn't competitive anymore for racing but it would make a lite speed plane haul the mail.. That was my intent, just never got around to it.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
daven

About the only thing I remember about that engine is that quite a bit of fuel comes out the front bearing and we HAD to run 6oz tanks instead of the popular 5 1/4 oz tanks. Not sure if it was completely the engines fault, or the fact I could barely do 1:25 on the long course
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM
diggs_74

A 1:25 on the long course?? I guess there's hope for me yet
Old 10-09-2006, 03:57 PM
Kmot

Guys, I never meant to disparage this little burner! I just always disassemble used engines so I can see what's what. I knew Lee sold this to me as a runner and I never had any doubts that that is exactly what it is. I was initially concerned that the piston might be a problem but after thinking about it, it has probably been like that since day one and it's not necessary to replace it. Like I said, the engine has good compression and the piston fit is still tight. I was just wanting some "expert" opinion on a couple things.

The last mystery still unsolved is the "X". Which of you inscribed it?

Thanks for the history on this engine! This has more pedigree than all my other engines do!! [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-09-2006, 05:02 PM
daven

I'll check with Jerry on the X, my guess is he put it there for some sort of Identification. I don't believe that motor has been run since 2000' other than Lee doing a little testing.