Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

What is the lightest, most powerful 2-stroke .46 glow engine I can buy?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

What is the lightest, most powerful 2-stroke .46 glow engine I can buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 12:28 AM
OMPEdgeFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the lightest, most powerful 2-stroke .46 glow engine I can buy?

This may be late, but I had the same plane and after using a very powerful Pico .45 I opted for a simple 60 4 stroke. the prop size difference, slower RPM's and bigger prop pitch, allowed me to land the plane much better and slower and I was able to remove the 5 ounces of lead.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:59 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Everyone has said keep it light, but even with the .91 2 stroke up front, I only had to add 2 oz to the tail to get it to the recommended balance point.

Test flight will be Saturday. There are two of us with the same set ups, and we hope to do a little racing. The .91 is turning a 14x6 at about 10,500 rpms. I plan to go to a 13x8 for more speed.

As too being too much engine, you may be suprised. There are several people flying this plane at a club South of ours with YS .91s with no problems.
Old 04-09-2003, 02:28 AM
ewstap

Default K&B Screamin 48

I have one of the original Screamin 48's and have to put in a good word. Although slightly heavier than the 46 FX it has gobs more power and will turn just about any prop you want to use. When it comes to useable power, this engine shouldn't be overlooked. The price is right too! I'm getting ready to purchase a pair for a P-38 project. My original 48 is over 5 years old and still strong. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 04-09-2003, 05:09 PM
OMPEdgeFlyer

I am with you, I dont see really the need for keeping this one light, just have lots of air moving over it, when it gets slow the airlerons are usless, and if you hit the throttle cause you dont like your approach, IT WILL spin in!!!!! I just landed it hot and took a nice long line up. I even tried flaps but it didnt help. Oh, if you have much more than a little elevator it will go into a violent roll with the bigger 4strokes if you attempt too tight of a look, or just about any kinda loop. if you just take off, do big circles and slow rolls and such, it flies awesome and looks soo good in the air. The group always stops when i fly it to watch, and it is the most non exciting flight there is all day, but to just see a GeeBee in the air is amazing .

Paul