Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum with YS 45 + Tuned pipe

Old 01-20-2003, 01:50 PM
uk_speedfreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Weston Magnum with YS 45 + Tuned pipe

Hi i've just completed a Weston Magnum and fitted it with a YS 45 and Tuned pipe (Macs pipe)

Has anyone else tried the YS 2 Stroke in this plane and if so what was the performance like?
Old 01-20-2003, 01:58 PM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Magnum+ys.45

I've got the same combo. I reached a peak rpm of 18,800 with a apc 8x9. I haven't flown it as yet, but will post comments when I have done so. I am expecting flights around 160mph.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:16 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

only 160?
i might get one soon, tho i'll use a MVVS GRRT, i would have the V1 but its 15 vs 150
Old 01-21-2003, 08:44 AM
uk_speedfreak

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey ace thats a bit disappointing I thought the YS was supposed to be more powerful than an average 45 giving 60 performance.
I was hoping to try and crack the 200+ barrier. Afterall the weston engine has pretty much the same performance as the YS.

By the way did you add any weight to your left wing to balance out the tuned pipe?

I'll send some pictures later on when i get a mo.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it might have more go than an average 45, but the West isnt an average 50 either.
Whats the specs for the YS?
we did use MVVS 40's getting about the same RPM on similar props as above, compaired to the Wests they are like trainers.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:48 PM
jetsett
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Magnum+ys.45

I know that 160 mph seems kinda low, but the review of the magnum in Model Airplane News with the eurotech v1 came in at only 125 mph. I don't think I'll get more than that, maybe in a dive. The review was using a radar gun, and not guesstimating like the rest of us. I am fairly sure the magnum is extremely fast, but I don't think it will break 200. It will come in around 160-180. Ducted fans don't even reach 200 very often. That's in a dive from over 1000'-2000' straight down with approx 12lbs thrust.
This magnum is going to kick ***** anyway.
Regards,
Don
Old 01-21-2003, 01:26 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Im not one to invent fiugres, im glad infact that most people seam to have given up on the idea their Dust does 240+
i've seen other reports with rardar guns that the old WXL 45 could scrape 185 on the flat and the West V1 knocked on high 190's 200 in a dive.
Radar guns arnt the best for model flight as you cant fly right at the poor sod with the thing, and it's unlikely you'll get a good reading till the model is so close its at quite an angle,you'll lose a lot of MPH this way.
I've done ground based speed traps in the past and even my Cougar can do 60 and i'm sure the Magnums are more than twice as quick. At the time only the WXL's where around and i got a best result of 158 for a Magnum and 165 for my own design with a MVVS GRRT. these figures relied on the pilots lining up propperly but on what i considered to be good runs were consistant over the weekend.a GPS unit in one here still has to be done to prove anything but i think you can easily consider that low pass from a dive to be more than 160. Now Choppie's Magnum.... yes that deffinatly knows what 200 feels like every flight.

My new cam can record sounds.. maybe that plyon cal thing will work.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:42 PM
johnd

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the magnum with the west 50 in does more than 125 mph who ever did the speed on that one needs to cut the pipe down or open the throttle fully those motors turn a 8/8 prop at nearly 20,000 on the ground and unwind in the air, 125 mph my arse.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:52 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

john.... i've got my doppler shift program working, i'm not sure i've got it right yet ( where to measure ) and im sure tracking the plane is wrong, but on your pass i got... 155 and 171, depends on which wave i measure which is why im not sure im right...
and on barrys where the cam stayed still i got 166 faily constant over the diffrent waves. still need to make sure i set it up right and record propperly but its looking like 200 might be false advertising after all.
Old 01-29-2003, 06:06 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, just seen that review in the shop and now i can tell you why he went so slow...
take a look at his coupler.. yes.. how draggy do you want to get with those jubilee clips.
+ the headder is still supplied lenght.
When i saw the UC i almost had a fit in the shop, thankfully it was just a dollly.
I didnt bother buying the mag so i just breazed over it to see what prop he used & other little bits
no doubt he didnt fly right at the gun either
Old 01-29-2003, 06:56 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the engine-pipe combo is a bit advertised as a plug and play unit. No full pipe setup is a plug and play unit. Smells a bit like misleading advertising.

However, the Magnum is defenitely not a beginners airplane, so Weston UK is right to assume customers have enough experience to set up a tuned pipe.

Also that Genesis header is a stock thing, not specifically designed for this combo. For the rookie all this might lead to some disappointing results, but someone who writes magazine articles should know better...
Old 01-29-2003, 07:03 PM
Cactus.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The advice we got from Weston was a 8x8 for out the box, or if you want a bit more take a inch off the header and goto a 8x9.
Richen up the bottom end for a low idle and smooth pick up