Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Q500 Kit / 1st Speed Plane

Old 11-28-2006, 06:02 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Q500 Kit / 1st Speed Plane

Hi All,

I've been lurking here for a while, soaking up info and haven't found an answer to this question yet. I am thinking of building a Q500 as a first speed plane and to see if it's something I want to go crazy with. I am looking for a kit to build (or plans) and have yet to find one. I have found some pre-built "kits" with the wings already sheeted, but I would prefer a raw kit with the bare cores and fuse parts only. Anything like that around? I would also prefer a standard tail to a V if possible... The Shotgun looks good, but I did not find a link or site to buy from, any info there?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Q500 Kit / 1st Speed Plane

The Dominator from Lanier can be built as a regular or V tail. It was my first Q-500 kit plane and was of good quality.

http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/rcairplanes/dom.htm
Old 11-28-2006, 09:28 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's some more quickie kits;

http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html
Old 11-29-2006, 09:30 AM
diggs_74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You can check on www.supertrc.com as well... The Seeker is a well designed quickie.. Flies very well and I've had about a dozen over the last 3 years...
Old 11-29-2006, 09:39 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Great choice for your first speed ship. The Q-500 designs are easy to build, smooth, stable - and with any decent sport .40 or .46 engine on it, it will be pleanty quick for your first time out (plus having a throttle is helpful at times)

DaveN in here has his Seeker kits available - laser cut, real nice. - V-tail - flys extremely well Foam/wood

LCSperformance.com may have some of the PaceMaker kits available - V-tail
He also has the Vector which is a low-wing conventional tail - not sure on kit availability. Foam wings, wood fuselage.
LCS also has landing gear, wheels, engine mounts - stuff that you might want down the road.

The Scat Cat kits are still available - Lone Star has those - conventional tail. Foam/wood

The Lanier Dominator is not too bad. Good build. Builds to either V tail or conventional tail - either will fly great.

If you look around in marketplaces you might find an old Bridi Quickest 500, Andrews Quick-Ray, or an original Spickler Quickie 500 kit (both all-wood - no foam) - conventional tail

Also look around for (discontinued) Doddger kits. Excellent plane - foam/wood

The Matneymodels.com Mad Dog is nice- glass fuselage, foam wing. Basic kit - you get a fuselage, cores and plans.
Pit Bull is real nice too - low wing, conventional tail version of the same plane.

Any of these will get you going

Bob Brassell
Old 11-29-2006, 12:16 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I plan to start off with a ST45 and maybe a Jett muffler, then go from there. With a 9x7 it should be the fastest thing I have touched the sticks on.

I found the Matney models site this morning and was looking around. The Mad Dog looks good, as well as the Zoomer. I like the sleek look of the Zoomer, how does it do as a fast sport plane? The Seeker looks good as well. Too many nice planes, not enough time...

For the V-tail models, are they run with just elevator or do people typically set them up with two servos and rudder/elevator V-tail mixing?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

typically two servos for rudder and elevator control on V-tails. There was a point at which I thought V-tails were retarded too. Then I tried one and it really doesn't fly any differently from a conventional tail. Rudder and elevator were both very effective on my model.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:12 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

typically two servos for rudder and elevator control on V-tails. There was a point at which I thought V-tails were retarded too. Then I tried one and it really doesn't fly any differently from a conventional tail. Rudder and elevator were both very effective on my model.
It's not that they are bad, but they tend to mess up things in aerobatics (I confess - I'm mostly an aerobatics junkie) and even though this plane is mostly to haul butt, I still want to be able to do high speed slow rolls, point rolls, etc. and a goofy rudder response messes that up. They definitely offer lower drag, though, which is why they are everywhere on the Q500's.

Since this is the first plane of this type I have built, I think I will get a Mad Dog or Seeker and just build it according to plans, then see what I think. You never know until you've tried it, right?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-29-2006, 01:59 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

you are on the right track.....

keep in mind, the mad-dog is a very basic kit ...... no real instructions - plans, templates, fuselage and a set of cores.
You buy wood.

Dominator is a fairly complete kit, as is the Doddger (if you can find one)

For just general sport flying, any of them are fun. The rudder/fin of a conventinoal tail does not tend to make a scat cat knife-edge much better than the V-tail does.

You will want R-E mixing on the v-tail. Most computer radios have a built-in v-tail mix (sometimes in glider mode only - but not a big deal). The rudder is actually very effective, and you will need it for take-off (hold a bit of right rudder)

Keep it simple the first time out.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:29 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

you are on the right track.....

keep in mind, the mad-dog is a very basic kit ...... no real instructions - plans, templates, fuselage and a set of cores.
You buy wood.

Dominator is a fairly complete kit, as is the Doddger (if you can find one)

For just general sport flying, any of them are fun. The rudder/fin of a conventinoal tail does not tend to make a scat cat knife-edge much better than the V-tail does.

You will want R-E mixing on the v-tail. Most computer radios have a built-in v-tail mix (sometimes in glider mode only - but not a big deal). The rudder is actually very effective, and you will need it for take-off (hold a bit of right rudder)

Keep it simple the first time out.
Bob,

I like scratch building, so supplying wood is no issue for me. Basic is what I want, I don't want to pay for extra pre-fabrication I prefer to do myself. Given how simple a Q500 is, I can't see needing much in the way of instructions, just the plans and parts.

I guess I will find out about the V-tail and knife edge when I get there. Either way, I am sure it will be a riot. I have watched 500's club race (spec engine and prop) and it looks insane, so just flying around with one should be a good rush.

I will be flying with a JR X388 radio, so mixing is there if I need it.

Thanks for the help,
Mark
Old 11-29-2006, 02:35 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There are several Q500 kits available now that all together pretty easily and fly about the same. You mentioned the Seeker, but the Hurrikane, and now Vortex kits that are available are also very good. I built a Hurrikane this spring, and am working on a Vortex kit right now. The construction technique is very similar in all three kits, Dan has some great instructions for his Hurrikane that could be used for the seeker or vortex. They are posted at www.supertrc.com , Marcus is working on the instructions for the vortex and expects to have them ready in the near future.

If you just want a set of Seeker Plans, send me your email adress and I can send you a CAD .DXF file.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:39 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BTW,

I built a Maddog kit about 5 years ago, and the main difference between that kit and those above is that it comes with a fiberglass fusealage. It flew very well also, but I would lean to the designs above which incorporates an airfoil that I feel performs better at speeds over 150 mph.

Don't get me wrong, the maddog flew great.

The dominator and doddger kits are also good if you can find them. I've got a doddger kit tucked away, but really don't want to part with it. Another kit that you may be lucky to find is a V-Vector, one of the first laser cut quickies that I saw. Its cool looking swept forward v-tail looks great, but was a bear for me to build.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:49 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

There are several Q500 kits available now that all together pretty easily and fly about the same. You mentioned the Seeker, but the Hurrikane, and now Vortex kits that are available are also very good. I built a Hurrikane this spring, and am working on a Vortex kit right now. The construction technique is very similar in all three kits, Dan has some great instructions for his Hurrikane that could be used for the seeker or vortex. They are posted at www.supertrc.com , Marcus is working on the instructions for the vortex and expects to have them ready in the near future.

If you just want a set of Seeker Plans, send me your email adress and I can send you a CAD .DXF file.
Dave,

Thanks for the offer, PM is sent.

Do you have a source for the Vortex kits?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This was posted on 10/9 and has the info on the Vortex. Just a side FYI, the Vortex design has won every U.S. National Championship in Q500 since 2000. It is a very proven plane, they have just recently converted to a laser cut design and have offered to sell them. The blurb below does not mention it, but they have since come out with a 424 (foam wing) option if you are interested. Marcus is the contact and his info is below:

In a joint effort between Chuck Bridge and myself, we have developed a Vortex Laser cut fuselage and tail kit to be supplied with a composite wing. The first of these airplane's was test flown over the weekend and all went very well. I have to say that I am very happy with the outcome. I would have had no problem racing the airplane by the second or third flight. The airplane had all the same flight characteristics as the original Vortex, but not nearly the wait time or the price tag.

The basic Vortex kit will be supplied with a Chuck built composite wing, laser cut fuselage and tail, landing gear, and a hardware kit that includes everything you need. The base price for this kit with a two color wing and Vortex name painted on wing is $375 dollars plus shipping. There are options available from there if you so desire, such as more colors, or painted numbers. Additional colors are $30 each, (Chuck would prefer to keep the wings no more than 3 colors). Your AMA or NMPRA numbers can also be painted into the wing for $15 dollars each. You can also add Futaba or JR lettering also at $15 dollars each.

To order this version of the Vortex, I can be reached by e-mail, marcus.blanchard@lennar.com or by cell phone at 843-200-7673, either of these will work 7 days a week.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I believe the V-Vector is still available, Morris Hobbies has them listed on their website:

http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...c84221b4f2eab0

Old 12-06-2006, 12:20 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks to all for the info and advice. I went cheap for the first try and ordered a Lanier Dominator 500. It will be paired with a ST45 to see how I like the whole speed plane thing. Of course, I can't imagine not liking it, but you never know...

Mark