Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Magnum Look A LIKE!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum Look A LIKE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Look A LIKE!!!

Ok here is my [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/4fa3034unsta.html]nitro planes model [/link] that came today.

Wing is identical to the Magnum, except that the ailerons are a bit smaller.

Fuse is different internally, but almost identical on the outside, except for it does not have a half fiberglass fuselage.
The fuse is also more rigid longitudinally. It is more rigid all the way around.

Also you have a rudder, that was not on the magnum. I may not use a rudder.
Most certainly not going to use any landing gear either.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94053.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	568387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51505.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	568388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30729.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	568389   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf97015.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	568390  
Old 11-28-2006, 08:37 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Magnum Look A LIKE!!!

For $80 it looks like a steal!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
phjoker
My Feedback: (4)

what set up are you planning to use in it?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Outward appearance aside, how sturdy is the wing? Nitroplanes only lists up to a .36 sized engine, while most Magnums are flying with .46-.60's.
Also curious how the weight compares. And of course the general ARF quality, straightness, finish, etc. It does look like a good deal!
Old 11-28-2006, 09:52 PM
Julian537

I am planning on using my west 50 v-1 from my recently departed magnum.
Wing is more rigid than the magnum. My magnum wing was skinned with some soft or spongy balsa.
This wing has a harder skin on it.

The stars will have to go, sorry if this offends anyone. Just not my thing.

the fuse is nice and straight.

julian
Old 11-29-2006, 09:57 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Julian537
The stars will have to go, sorry if this offends anyone. Just not my thing.

the fuse is nice and straight.

julian
Tear 'em off! You won't offend any Canucks..

I have my doubts about the visibility of the overall color scheme. Then again, yellow and black kind of sucks in that regard too.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:10 PM
evan-RCU

PLEASE post more pix, are the elevators moved by seperate pushrods like the Magnum or is there a wire joiner and one pushrod? Is the engine area the same? With the Weston .50 fit? What kind of covering? I recovered my last Magnum and it was a pain to get the covering to stick to the fiberglass, the wood turtle deck is a plus for that. You say the wood used looks like better quality? Same wing thickness and airfoil? please, more info....
Old 11-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Julian537

Yes seperate pushrods for the elevator. uses the same exact setup as the magnum. uses the plastic plate as a joiner.
The weston 50 fits like a glove. Same exact engine bay.

Airfoil is identical also. thicker plywood on the sides of the fuse. not at flimsy as the magnum.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:53 PM
choopi

It lool like the Flying weight: 7.8lb / 3540g is wrong, what should I expect for total weight?

Let me know. Anybody flew one yet?

Let me know
Old 12-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

7.8 pounds is WAY HIGH... 3 1/2 lbs. maybe
Old 12-15-2006, 08:59 PM
JohnRC

How is this project going? I'am looking at buying one when they become avialable again at nitro.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:01 PM
Julian537

Have not even started it.....
Been working on an outlaw. It is all boned up, but now I have to cover it and put on the control surfaces.
could be a week or 2 before the Magnum/lookalike is ready.
The first magnum i put together, was ready in 2 evenings. Could have been the reason for the elevator coming loose too
Old 01-17-2007, 12:19 PM
JohnRC

If anyone has one of these planes in air yet, please let us know.
I'am still waiting for nitroplanes to get them back in stock.

Thanks
John
Old 01-17-2007, 10:26 PM
Julian537

John,

I think that weston UK has the Magnum R now for sale in the US through their US distributor.
The last time I called and talked to Weston before xmas. they said that their distributor in the US would have them available in January. The magnum retails for $95 or $98. This is really not that much more for the real thing. Call them , they are slow at responding to email. The international call cost me $3 but it was worth it and very informative on their products.

All in all though, this plane from nitro planes is the exact copy of the magnum. If they were both naked without covering, you would never know the difference. Ok maybe the nitro model has a rudder.......
Old 01-18-2007, 08:54 AM
evan-RCU

And a wooden turtle deck, and a windscreen, and landing gear, and who knows what else?

They are not the smae plane though they copied alot of the Magnum...

Note that the changes are not neccisarily bad things...
Old 01-18-2007, 10:11 AM
MJD

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

And a wooden turtle deck, and a windscreen, and landing gear, and who knows what else?

They are not the smae plane though they copied alot of the Magnum...

Note that the changes are not neccisarily bad things...
I dunno - I have no use for a rudder or landing gear on an airplane designed to tear around like these are, canopies crack more easily, and what's wrong with the fiberglass turtledeck? But anyhow I do however think the Magnum fuselage is a bit too flimsy, and could easily have been engineered at about the same weight with a lot more torsional strength and crush resistance then what I see on mine. Those webbed out lite ply formers are wimpy. In fact even if they added 2-3 ounces in material to the fuselage I wouldn't care personally.

Now if I could just get the prop to stop horizontally every time.. even though I set it to just kiss compression as it goes horizontal, it seems to have a tendency to stop vertically anyhow. Is there a technique/trick to shutting down the engine that helps prevent this? Problem is when you fly on sod, it's great for belly landings when the prop is horizontal. But when it stops vertically or close to it - bad things things happen with flat low wings and high approach speeds.

MJD
Old 01-18-2007, 12:50 PM
evan-RCU

I agree, but was pointing out that there are differences. I have the prop hit good compression at the 11oclock- 4 oclock poisition because it always moves a bit more while coming in. If the prop hangs down at the 4 oclock position the blade angle allows it to bump level if it does contact the ground. I do know taht if you run the engine lean that it's hotter and looses compression alowing it to bump around a little more too. I usually fly around on low to mid throttle for a lap before I set up the landing to allow the motor to cool off a bit.
Old 01-18-2007, 02:00 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

4-Channel Falcon 30 - 34.3" United States Air Force USAF Nitro Gas Radio Remote Control Airplane Jet Glider

i just dunno why they call it a glider! i guess when you dead-stick you can say to everyone> it's OK it's a GLIDER

but it's sold out so i guess it must be good
Old 01-18-2007, 03:59 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: evan-RCU

I agree, but was pointing out that there are differences. I have the prop hit good compression at the 11oclock- 4 oclock poisition because it always moves a bit more while coming in. If the prop hangs down at the 4 oclock position the blade angle allows it to bump level if it does contact the ground. I do know taht if you run the engine lean that it's hotter and looses compression alowing it to bump around a little more too. I usually fly around on low to mid throttle for a lap before I set up the landing to allow the motor to cool off a bit.
Oh yeah... you were weren't you? Sorry... in my "quick read" mode I interpreted your post as endorsing those changes versus just pointing them out.

It puzzles me why the basic design would be copied so closely, but I suppose rather than inventing the next best thing the idea was just to hop on the bandwagon. Kind of like the copies that G---t Pl---s shamelessly brings out of other people's designs that become popular - which is the reason I refuse to buy their products and am only too glad to say so.

On prop stoppage location: yeah, I suppose it is not bouncing back and stopping under compression, but just not making it through the last compression stroke before stopping. Your idea for prop location covers both possibilities, off and on compression - I might just try that. I don't run lean IMHO - I use a Jett bubbleless tank, and during flight I have a decent smoke trail, in fact I think I may have a few rpm left to go and still be on the safe side of peak.

I can't correlate my prop problems with the manner in which the motor stopped - i.e. run out of fuel, stopped it myself from full bore, or ran slow to set up for landing then killed it, I have not payed attention to that to know. But I will check it out once the ice cap moves out of here and I can go flying again. I know all three scenarios have gone on though. Hmmm. I can say that I have landed after running out at full bore and had the prop stop in the right place, but of course it is going to do that sometimes so that alone tells me nothing. Looking forward to testing this out. I've always used somewhere between 8:45 - 2:45 and 9 to 3.

MJD

Old 01-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Julian537

Evan,

Your right.
I forgot about the top half of the magnum being fiberglass. the only part of my last magnum that survived was the wing and the fuse section in front of the wing. I think the nitro plane fuse is stronger over all. does not feel so flimsy.
Old 01-19-2007, 12:02 PM
evan-RCU

Julian, when you going to get it in the air?
Old 01-19-2007, 02:58 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Daddy likes. And that landing gear would look real good on one of my SPADs.
Old 01-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Julian537

It may be a few weeks. It is raining here and the weather has been crap. I still have to decide on some colors to add to the model.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:39 AM
molo_30

Any one flown one of these yet?
Old 08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Silence usually indicates that at least some of the flight was subterranean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.