Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

EZ Dago Red which Engine OS 61 SF ABC and a Pipe Or an OS 91 Surpass II?

Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

EZ Dago Red which Engine OS 61 SF ABC and a Pipe Or an OS 91 Surpass II?

Old 01-24-2003, 07:35 PM
viper21
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default EZ Dago Red which Engine OS 61 SF ABC and a Pipe Or an OS 91 Surpass II?

Hi Guys as you have probably read below I just bought a new in box old style EZ Dago Red. And I am trying to decide which would be the best engine for it. I have a freshly rebuilt OS 61 SF ABC and a Macs Header and Long Stroke Quite Pipe that I can run in the plane. OR I have a brand new never been run OS 91 Surpass II Fourstroke that I could install. Obviously the Surpass is a better choice because I dont need to run a tuned pipe down the side of the fuselage but I want all out speed for the plane. So any suggestions on which of these two engines I should use? Remember the 61 SF is a long stroke engine and will only swing an 12x8 prop on the pipe at about 14 grand so its pretty comparable to the 91 Surpass? Any ideas would sure help me out because the plane will be here next week and I want to start building it ASAP.
Thanks Joe
Old 01-25-2003, 02:05 AM
PAINLESS
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default EZ Dago Red which Engine OS 61 SF ABC and a Pipe Or an OS 91 Surpass II?

I have a World models Dago Red with a Magnum 80 4stroke on it that does right around 100 MPH with a 12x10 apc and 20% fuel.

I have raced against similer ARFs with os 61 fx's and they have a very slight speed advantage if any at all, but I don't know what prop they are using.

A word of caution, most ARF's are not built to withstand higher speed than what I mentioned above. Mine has rather flimsy tail surfaces and I don't trust the wing joint with just a small spar and epoxy, it should be glassed.

This is the first large 4 stroke I've owned and probably won't go back to a 2 stroke. THE SOUND IS INCREDIBLE!
Old 01-25-2003, 02:15 AM
viper21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default EZ Dago Red

Painless, the EZ kits are some of the best engineered and manufactured ARFs ever built. I own several of them and have owned Dago Reds in the past. With the OS 61 SF on a pipe it really screams. I am going with it just because of the top end speed. But I still love four strokes and they are hard to beat.
Thanks Joe
Old 02-03-2003, 02:33 AM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
I have very lucky to still have 2 of these. One with the OS rf 61 abc pumped engine with pipe...about 150 mph plus (radar). The second has an OS .65 ABC ducted fan engine with full pipe... 22,000 with an apc 11x8. Over 180 mph according to radar. However, it has one bad habit - in tight corners it tends to fall off if I am knfe edged toward the ground. Verrryyyyy fast. And this is without retracts since our field is bad. Oh - I did remove the belly scoop completely. It would not stay on at these speeds.
randy
Old 02-03-2003, 02:46 AM
viper21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Dago Red

Man RC Guy, how in the world do you keep the planes together at those speeds? I know that mine will be fast but not that fast. I do have a brand new in the box YS 61 AR that I had thoughts about slipping into the Dago Red. Can you clear the fuselage with a Macs fuse top header on the rear Exhaust engine. What do you have them mounted sideways? I was going to use my OS 61 SF ABC after I rebuilt it because I could run the pipe down the side of the fuselage but if I can run my YS 61 on a new header and long stroke Macs pipe I would think it would be faster even with the engine sideways? Any Ideas?
Thanks Joe
Old 02-03-2003, 03:03 AM
r-c-guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
The fan engine is mounted in the 90 degree position. Pipe is on the rt side of the fuse above the wing. If the engine is not equipped with a pump, exhaust pressure (at the header) is a must. I put mylar tape 2.5 inches on the bottom of the wing and the length of the fuse...Helps with strength! I use 15% fuel for all and Enya 4 plugs... or K&B 1L. If you ry a fan engine, it must be 1 or 2 clicks rich with a prop... it will still scare you in the air when it unloads. By the way...I found a new os 77 vrdf engine at a sale! My next project is to use a 77 fan with the 11x8 on the same airframe. It is a direct fit with the .65 and .91. But, the 77 is 4 oz lighter than the .65 and uses a disk instead of a drum..... lighter and maybe faster but less robust.
The ys would probably run faster than the sf long stroke.
Wish me luck!
randy
Old 02-03-2003, 03:15 AM
viper21

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Header

RC guy, which header do you use for your rear exhaust OS 61 SF? Do you think that a Macs Fuse Top header would clear the fuselage for a long stroke pipe if I ran the YS Long Stroke 61 AR?
Macs http://www.macspro.com/headers_rear.asp
Are you using one of these headers above here?
Thanks I am considering running my new YS 61 Long Stroke if the header will clear the pipe and fuselage?
Viper
Old 02-03-2003, 03:25 AM
r-c-guy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,
Yes. I use the macs top fuse header to clear the side of the fuse for all of the rear exhaust engines....61 rf abc and the ducted fans. Its nice that they all use the same one! I get about 0.5 inch clearance at the bell of the pipe. You must use a good pipe mount at the rear of the pipe. I use macs boltes to plywood doublers inside the fuse. Go for it but watch the racing type corners. I almost lost the dago due to a fall off at about 150 ft. No spin, it just sort of flips and heads straight toward terra-firma. It pulls out ok but its very scary. Maybe the fin and rudder are blanketed - I cannot figure it out but I am going to try and increase fin area.
Oh, by the way...I use hayes A-60 fiber glass 'bucket" mounts.
randy