Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Delta vs. Q500 Handling

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Delta vs. Q500 Handling

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:58 AM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Delta vs. Q500 Handling

Dumb***** speed plane rookie question - what are the differences in handling between a "conventional" airframe such as a Q500 and the deltas? What does each do better than the other, etc.?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-04-2006, 12:32 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Default RE: Delta vs. Q500 Handling

q-500 should turn harder and lose less speed in the turns. A delta should roll faster. I have flown the GP viper and really enjoyed it. Powered with a cheap bearing .46FX you're looking 120-130range. I also have a diamond dust with a .32SX on the front. That's one of my favorite planes. Top speed is going to be near the same with this setup. Glide slope is similar to a brick in water with the dust, whereas the viper had a phenominal lift to drag ratio. Want to take off and land conventionally? go with the q-500. The dust is really neat though because after it's running I walk a few steps away from the pits, push up the throttle and give it sort of a "flip" and off it goes. (actually, it's more like letting go than anything, as its power to weight ratio is greater than 1:1) Both accelerate like a scalded cat and both are planes that will get the attention of everyone in the pits if your club is like mine, and nobody else really flies speed planes. My dust is the fastest plane at my field currently, and there's lots of room for a faster prop plane, just no one else there is willing to fly speed. Because it's faster than what they have they think it must be hard to fly..... I digress
The dust is less stable in the roll axis than my viper was, but it's still well behaved, just not hands off accross the field like my viper was. Either is a fun plane, very easy to build, and if you can fly an Uglystik without any difficulty either should be within your skill level after a few flights to train your brain that just because it's fast doesn't mean it's harder. Both will slow down well with a reduction of throttle.

-Steve
Old 12-04-2006, 01:03 PM
mmattockx

Thanks, Steve.

I knew some of the differences between deltas and conventional (glide sucks, lots of induced drag at high G loads), but I was wondering if there was something I was missing. Good to know there was nothing really bad hiding. I am looking at Q500 kits and I have just ordered a set of Outlaw plans from Jerry Smith, so I guess I will get to compare first hand.

Mark
Old 12-04-2006, 01:18 PM
russm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have found my lanier predator to be easier to fly than the delta wings. i have been flying for about a year now. the one thing steve did not mention is the v-tails come in very hot. like steve said, both planes are a lot of fun and fast. i have a 46ax on both my predator and delta for now. russm
Old 12-04-2006, 03:11 PM
diggs_74

Russm, if I may mention something... If your Predator is coming in hot it's most likely nose heavy, not anything to do with the V-tail.. I've had many quickies and every one lands as slow or even slower than most of the .40 sized trainers around.. Try moving the CG back a little at a time and you will find that it will start floating in real nice.. On a side note, you may also have to reduce the elevator throws as you move the CG back...

Delta's are fun but quickies, IMHO, out fly them 10 to 1 if you are looking at all around flying stability.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:34 PM
russm

thanks for the imfo. lee russm
Old 12-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: diggs_74

Delta's are fun but quickies, IMHO, out fly them 10 to 1 if you are looking at all around flying stability.
When it comes to WOW factor the Dust is ahead 10 to 1 IMO.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:47 PM
russm

lee, how little is a little? thanks russ
Old 12-05-2006, 09:40 AM
diggs_74

Russm, just start moving it back about 1/4" at a time.. On the Predator I don't think I would go back much past the 3" mark though.. If you get it back where the tail drops a little on landing move it back forward until it lands pretty much level and you should be right on..
Old 12-05-2006, 10:17 AM
russm

thanks for the imfo, lee. russm