Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Anyone try electric power for a shrike?

Has this been tried by any body,just thinking

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Anyone try electric power for a shrike?

Aloha Skyflyer47,

ANY model plane can be converted to electric. All of my planes are 40 sized (or bigger)and electric. IMHO a properly set up electric system, will perform as well or better than a comparable glow setup with a lot less noise (which opens up a lot of options for flying in noise restricted area) and no clean up. However, it is initial pretty expensive to get started. Once you have the charging equipment, LiPO batteries and such, a good 40 size electric set up will compare in price to a good glow setup. (Bigger than 40 size I think the price break moves in favor of glow however, unless you already have a good stock of high capcity LiPo's)

justin.smith@hobby-lobby.com can give you some good recommendations regarding electric power systems

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Shrikes and Sig Wonders fly very nice electric powered. Do a search in Wattflyer or RC Groups and you'll find several conversions of both the 1/2A and .15-.20 size. The 1/2A size flies well on S400 power 150 watts and up or crank it up with a nice brushless system. The larger Shrike needs at least 300+ watts to be fun IMHO.

I just flew a .15-.20 size Sig Wonder last week with an O.S. .46 with pipe.... it was entertaining. BUT, it did fly well with some mods to stiffen up the ailerons and gap sealed the hinges.

Link 1

Link 2

Can you feel that Buddy, HUH, HUH, HUH!!!??
    I Have EXORSIZED the electrons, this plane is clear.
    Revver Bro. #151

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey guys thanks for the input. I have started collecting battery chargers and such. I allready have a 40 size shrike built and set up for a thunder tiger 46. But it is very nose heavy, perhaps a nice outrunner would make it happy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of us in the Carolinas have been kicking around a FFF lekky version of a shrike for a little while. I may even go DF with mine.
    A guy who used to live on this site and now is rarely here due to the "upgrade".
    Most likely fading away till the My Forums is fixed. Too bad.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just maidened my electric shrike today and it was a blast. I have an MPI speed 400 motor, a 3 cell 1200 mah lipo 20 A Jeti ESC 2 HS-55 servos and a Hitec 555 receiver. It was a blast and went around 50-60 mph. Roll rate is very good and it was a blast to fly. However, I found that I came in very nose heavy as mentioned before. And this was even after shoving everything back as far as possible. I was thinking about moving the firewall back a cm or two. What does everyone else think?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I put a Little Screamers PJ in a 1/2A Shrike. AUW with a 3cell Lipo is 10.8 oz. No need for weight in the tail with a LS up front. I dont know how fast it is but it is more of a pucker airplane than a Shrike 10 with an O.S 32. Not as fast, I'm sure but the size difference makes it seem so. If you build one like I mentioned, you wont be sorry. Just bring a change of under-britches to the flying field, someone's going to need them.

grodus

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went ahead and moved the firewall back about 3/4 of an inch and it seemed to help drastically. I have a very nice glide ratio now , it took away some of the "wobble" in the air and it overall flies much better. Sooo, if anyone else has the same problem you can try his and it might help you out. I just took the front off with a band saw and glued another firewall on.