Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

which props are recommended

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

which props are recommended

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:08 AM
rickburnout666

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default which props are recommended

Hello everybody , there are many of you on the aero sites so someone should be able to give me some ideas, i hope .
I have two engines the 1st one a magnum .21 and the 2nd is an os .25 , i wish to run them with Graupner triple blades but i dont know which sizes can be used, and i dont want to damage them either, i also have a .15 coming from a friend not sure what make it is or what triples that can take ? i hope someone out there can help.
Thanx in advance, Rick
Old 12-09-2006, 08:28 AM
stick flyer

Default RE: which props are recommended

I have little experience with engines under .46. I do have a plane with 3 blade and they recommended a size smaller than recommended for 2 blade. I have a 4 stroke OS 91 and have a 3 blade 12X6 prop on it which was recommeded for that engine., Check the paper work that came with the engine and then use that as a rule of thumb as to what 3 blade would work.

Stick Flyer
Old 12-09-2006, 09:33 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will lose some engine performance with a 3 blade over a two.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:55 AM
rickburnout666

thanx for the tips , i dont want to get supersonic speeds out of the engines, as they will be fitted to ...? not sure wat you call it but the designed aeroplane/flying machine?? will be fixed to a a wire and spinning in circles, but i want them with 3 blade props , i am unsure what 2 blade props they use too? like i said, i dont want to damage them by putting the wrong size props on.
I should have put in the subject , I AINT GOT A CLUE lol
Old 12-09-2006, 12:32 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
7x6 or 8x4 or perhaps a 8x6 3-blade...but remember that 3-blade props are worse than 2 blade props.
Go with a 2 blade 7x5 or 7x6 APC if you want speed.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:42 PM
rickburnout666

Thanx jaka, but on which engine would they be for ? .15 .21 or the .25 ?? i think i am what they call a newb to this sort of thing ??
Old 12-09-2006, 03:42 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Control line planes in the .15 to .35 size range need a decent amount of speed to be maintained to keep good line tension and control authority. There is no point in getting started in C/L with an engine prop combo that compromises the planes' ability to maintain line tension. If you want to start out slow, use the .15 with either a 8x3 or 8x4 Master Airscrew prop on a plane with a fat airfoil. Save the 3 blade props for later when you become an accomplished Ginsu Masta of the stunt pattern and your plane and skill level is finely tuned enough to nurse a slow moving .40-.60 sized ship through the stunt pattern. If you insist on a 3 blader for the .15, try to find a 7x3. Most .21s that I know of are high revvin' engines that need a easy prop to turn, most will have a very narrow range of props that they will be happy with. you might find that a 7x3 or 7x4 three blader is all a .21 will turn with any sort of willingness. The AMA might still have a chart that shows recommended engine / prop / applications, though last time I saw that chart, it seemed like it needed some updating.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:27 PM
rickburnout666

Ok thanx for the tips , I should have said at the begining There are 3 rules to this project.
1: Engines must be under.30 .
2: 3 bladed props must be used .
3: The aircraft can not resemble what we know as an aeroplane.
1: i have engines already
2: i can have and do need help with
3: I can not have any help with

perhaps speed will help, therefore i need 3blade prop sizes for the 3 engines i now have,
Every bit of help (prop sizes) will be greatly appretiated
Thanx Rick