Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Help me make my Shrike faster...

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Help me make my Shrike faster...

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:02 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Help me make my Shrike faster...

Hello everyone...
I have searched thru all posts I can find. I would like some help.

I was given a Shrike 40. The previous owner/builder says he cannot keep up with it anymore. Boy is this sucka heavy, so heavy that doing a round loop is outta the question (bottom end is elongated at full deflection).

I decided to make this boy lean and mean...I'm looking for all mods (thinning wing, cutting lightening holes, etc.) that people had success with. I also plan to make it look kinda f-22ish' (not quite sure how to do the elevator just yet). I want it to go faster, you can see the design limitations in flight.

I'm currently running a Magnum 52xls (turning a 9x8 at 16k rich). Boy do I like this motor...

Here is what I have so far:
Remove dual aileron servos and replace with a single one.
Move firewall back (1 inch from wing le) to help balance (so I can take the 6oz of lead out of the back).
Try to keep a single elevator servo (still need to figure this one out if I change tail surfaces).
Move throttle servo back with elevator to help balance.
Maybe shave the top and bottom of the fuse, reduce area/reduce weight.
Drill lightening holes to reduce weight.
Maybe thin the wing (too thick for any real speed).

Now, I'm not trying to make this a speed demon...I just want to make it faster (my guess its doing around 90mph now). I want to get at least 130 out of it. I also want to make it lighter, more nimble.

Can anyone help?? or should I just give up and buy a quickee type plane??
Old 12-21-2006, 12:52 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help me make my Shrike faster...

Pop a Jett .60LX on that bad boy and hold on
Old 12-21-2006, 10:01 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm currently running a Magnum 52xls (turning a 9x8 at 16k rich). Boy do I like this motor...
Finally, someone running the engine like it was intended to be run... got tired of the 3D guys bashing it because it wont draw fuel worth a crud at 13,000 rpm.

If you do not have a tuned exhaust, add one. That will be your best performance gain. Jett-Stream, ultra-thrust muffler is instant, easy, bolt-on 1000-1500 rpm on that engine. A full size MACs pipe will also work - just more to deal with for mounting and stuff.

Move to an APC 8.8x8.75 or 8.8x9.0 prop. If the resulting rpm is below 16,500 on the ground, clip the tips down to 8.3" diameter until the rpm comes back up. (just be sure to balance the prop).

Don't go nuts on the thinning the wing or shaping the fuselage. That drag is trival comaired to having the engine sitting up front, and a poorly-chosen wing design can make it slower. Just something to consider. General styling and cleanup is ok, but do not expect a huge performance increase from it.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:28 PM
wildnloose

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you do not have a tuned exhaust, add one. That will be your best performance gain. Jett-Stream, ultra-thrust muffler is instant, easy, bolt-on 1000-1500 rpm on that engine. A full size MACs pipe will also work - just more to deal with for mounting and stuff.
Something to consider since I only paid $90 for this engine...

Move to an APC 8.8x8.75 or 8.8x9.0 prop. If the resulting rpm is below 16,500 on the ground, clip the tips down to 8.3" diameter until the rpm comes back up. (just be sure to balance the prop).
Yep, that was my next step...the 9x8 is not enough load (really revved up in a dive, leaned out and blew a glo plug). I had removed the baffle...man...talk about loud...

Don't go nuts on the thinning the wing or shaping the fuselage. That drag is trival comaired to having the engine sitting up front, and a poorly-chosen wing design can make it slower. Just something to consider. General styling and cleanup is ok, but do not expect a huge performance increase from it.
Really....did not know that....I assummed that the drag was the main culprit.