Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Retracts and speed

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Retracts and speed

Old 10-13-2010, 05:30 PM
flythesky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retracts and speed

This seemed like a good place to ask because I see speeds being accurately measured. And the question is; how much faster will a plane go with the wheels retracted?
Old 10-13-2010, 05:38 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Retracts and speed

Usually the extra little weight is overcome by less drag, so they do go faster, and the coolness factor is higher also.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:05 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The answer depends on the plane. There might be some guys who have done before and after comparisons on the same plane and logged the speeds. I'd never consider using them on a speed plane, I'd rather go with a thin wing like a Q-40 has and use real thin gear like a Q-40 has.
My answer assumes that a Q-40 wing is to thin for retracts, of course.
The extra weight of retracts is more of a liability the smaller your model is.
At some point they make perfect sense, just not sure where that line is drawn with respect to the size of the plane.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:10 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

The answer depends on the plane. There might be some guys who have done before and after comparisons on the same plane and logged the speeds. I'd never consider using them on a speed plane, I'd rather go with a thin wing like a Q-40 has and use real thin gear like a Q-40 has.
My answer assumes that a Q-40 wing is to thin for retracts, of course.
The extra weight of retracts is more of a liability the smaller your model is.
At some point they make perfect sense, just not sure where that line is drawn with respect to the size of the plane.
Some very good points CP.
Old 10-14-2010, 07:29 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Just something to think about...

Weight, is overcome by lift. It has some affect on speed, but not as much as you might think.

DRAG is overcome by power. It takes a LOT of power to over come a little drag. Frontal area creates big drag. round wire is BIG drag.

Yes, gear up, struts up, makes THAT much of a difference. Same reason we want a small diamater prop frontal area.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:02 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I better put retracts on my deltas then.......
Old 10-15-2010, 08:34 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Weight is more of a factor to acceleration off the line and out of the turns. In straight lines or in a dive, it has little effect on top speed. I'm talking oz's, not pounds.

A stiffer/stronger airframe will be faster than a weak, vibrating airframe with the same amount of drag. Once again, within reason, it can't be a brick, but 4-6 oz on a 4lb plane is not going to effect top speed.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:50 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

Perhaps not faster but slower. Retracted gear in those open wheel wells may create more drag than the profile drag from a fixed gear in the identical average sport or sport/scale model and is heavier. If you could get perfectly fitting gear doors and eliminate the weight penalty, maybe there would be a chance of going faster. Hand-launched, gear-less, belly-landers may be the perfect alternative...
Old 10-16-2010, 09:08 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Weight is more of a factor to acceleration off the line and out of the turns. In straight lines or in a dive, it has little effect on top speed
Actually increasing the weight will add to the speed in a dive.