Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston-50V1 on a 9x8?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston-50V1 on a 9x8?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston-50V1 on a 9x8?

I have been gathering data on almost every engine I have had for the last few years on a 9x8 APC prop. I know it is a bit unusual of a prop. for the varying types of engines I have/had but heck, I am a speed guy! No 10x6's for me

What is you guys opinion on the West-50 on a 9x8? I wanted to spin it up for a minute to see how it compared to all my other data (even though the 9x7 or 8x8 are strongly recommended for this engine). Well I was getting 17.5K without messin' with the pipe or anything... I was getting 17.2K on my rebuilt Jett-50.

What are you guys getting with your Jett-50's or 60LX's on a 9x8? This Jett-50 was fried and a "friend" did a pretty good job of getting it together and screamin'... I never got an accurate tach on my last Jett-50 that was used but not thrown together like this last one-

I figured the Jett-50 would out-turn the West on a bigger load like the 9x8, then the 9x9 would spin better with the Jett-50 behind it.

Thoughts?

I was gonna put my OS-50SX in the Phenom that I have coming but this West pulling a 9x8 has me considering my options...I have a Rifle almost complete also so I was gonna put the West in that. [X(] Russ and I were talking about the Phenom and how I wanted to do an "everymans" version with a 50SX or similar Side Exhaust set-up so we could see the performance the average guy would get--- Now I am wondering which engine to put in where > Good problems to have I guess right??

Also my Patriot that has NOTHING up front, would perform surprisingly well with the West I bet on a 9x8...

More thoughts?

Merry Christmas!

Old 12-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Weston-50V1 on a 9x8?

It surprises me a little you can get that rpm out of a West and 9x8. My Jett SJ 50 with a 9x8 and a SS muffler turned just on the high side of 18,000 static. Not sure what it was with the standard Jett muffler and 9x8.

Edit - APC props
Old 12-26-2006, 12:08 PM
Razor-RCU

I agree--- I was shocked! I was not very clear in the above post but my last Jett did not even have all the original parts so the 17.2K is what it is...

I just figured the 9x8 would be a bit much for the West- When I get home later I will post a few stats for various engines for some perspective.

So now I am curious if the 9x8 will just be too much for the West over a period of time- what do you think Mike?
Old 12-26-2006, 10:30 PM
I-Love-Jets

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

... heck, I am a speed guy!

...More thoughts?
Hello Razor-RCU,

maybe somebody is also interested in performance data of an OPS .60 goldhead (5-port) RIRE.

While carrying out several tests this year a German speed guy had set his non-modified OPS at a tuned pipe length of 11.2“ and 15% nitro and APC 9x8 sport prop. The static rpm came out with 21400. He is sure this engine will unload articulately during flight. However I would be concerned about the strength properties of the APC 9x8 sport prop at such in-flight rpms of approx 24000.

So a more suitable prop in terms of tensile strength would be the APC 9X8.5 pylon prop (# LP09085) for such an OPS engine application. Even better would be the APC 8.75X9.0W or 8.75X9.5NN to reduce the propeller tip speed…

I agree--- I was shocked!
So maybe you happen to get one of these OPS while irrevocably getting “shocked”

Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 PM
Razor-RCU

I know the OPS is a monster and I would not run a sport APC on such an engine---
Old 12-26-2006, 11:40 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

So now I am curious if the 9x8 will just be too much for the West over a period of time- what do you think Mike?
I personally would not be concerned about the 9x8 being too much for the West. The West is designed for high rpm, by sport standards, and will be running in its design envelope. I would put it in the Phenom unless you have a rear exhaust engine that the Phenom is more suited for.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Razor-RCU

Thanks Mike! I think it would be a potent combo.! I also have a Rifle coming also from Angel and I thought the West was a good match for that also-

Soo many projects so little high performance powerplants as they always say--- []
Old 12-27-2006, 11:18 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

I Love Jets-
I have a OPS gold head 60 8 port engine purchased from your side of the pond. The engine is nice looking, but compaired to a Jett 60 LX it is one very heavy engine. Even weighs more than the Webra. For this reason alone, it sits on the shelf gathering dust even though the builder claims it will turn 24K!!
Old 12-28-2006, 08:34 AM
I-Love-Jets

rmenke,

the OPS 60 Super SPP VAE – like all 10 cc RIRE speed engines (Picco, Rossi) - are heavy duty designs (also the spinner assembly is heavy duty). The relatively thick aluminium case is to the best advantage for long lasting high rpm application. It does minimise case warping because heat can be transfered better. Because once a case housing is slightly warped it can be considered as scrap metal.

Currently there seem to be no real alternatives to these OPS goldhead rear intake engines for German Speed Cup pilots for the 10 cc FAI class.

So it is no surprise that this year 2006, the first two places in the 10 cc class were reached by using these OPS engines (see pictures). Speed planes powered by the highend MB 40 Profi pylon engines have had no chance and were considerably slower.

The speed guys over here also found out no negative influence of additional weight for the Speed Cup flight pattern. In fact there was one fellow who added lead to gain higher speeds. As long as one doesn’t want to break the FAI speed record (which demands a total wing load of 75 g/dm^2 maximum), weight issues are of little significance.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49555.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	585101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk30532.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	585102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr39644.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	121.9 KB