Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Dominator 500 Build Choices

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Dominator 500 Build Choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:19 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dominator 500 Build Choices

Choices, choices... I received my Dominator kit in the mail yesterday. Christmas all over again! (can't understand why my wife rolls her eyes at the antics of grown men...)

Anyhoo, there are a couple of choices to be made in the construction. Namely:

1)V-tail or conventional tail

2) sport or racing ailerons

I figure I will go with the V-tail, since it is lower drag, looks cool, my radio will mix it and it is not a pattern plane. Sport aerobatics, but not precision. Any reason not to go with the V?

I am also thinking to use the sport ailerons (that is, they are longer than the racing ones), since I am not going to be running a Q500 engine and will not be going 160mph with it. Will I be able to set a decent low/high rate compromise that will give good low speed handling and not be stupid twitchy when ripping around? Power will be a ST40 to start, with upgrades to either ST45 or 51 as required when I get a tolerance built up.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 12-29-2006, 03:10 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dominator 500 Build Choices

1. Build the conventional tail. It is much easier to get the incidence correct, especially if you have never built a V-tail before.

2. Yes, use the sport ailerons if You don't plan on putting a Jett or Nelson on there.

Great flying plane.
Old 12-29-2006, 03:13 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

I built my Dominator with a conventional tail but would go V-tail if I do another. The Angle of incidence can be tough and is critical on a V-tail so be careful. I also went with the longer sport ailerons and am glad I did. Even with the longer ailerons and a lot of throw it is far from touchy. Mine was powered by a 46FX and UT muffler and then a Sport Jett 46.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:20 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies.

The sport ailerons it is, then. I will have to take a hard look at the V-tail arrangement before I commit to it, I never considered the incidence issues. I have done V-tails on gliders before, but nothing with an engine. Given the speed this thing will move out at, I will take extra care with the tail feathers.

Mark
Old 12-29-2006, 04:33 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

V tails are my favorite, they just seem to fly so smoothly. I use high rate on rudder all the time because there is so little authority at landing with no prop wash (dead stick) over the V tail for cross wind landings. I'd go with the bigger engine, just don't use full throttle for a while.