Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

lanier shrike

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 PM
macauley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default lanier shrike

hi guys.lanier shrike 40,os 55,tuned pipe,apc 11x10 prop,i flew this combo monday afternoon with a handheld gps onboard.max speed came in at 189 mph but i feel like i should be getting more rpms..any sugestions on prop size?i run 30% heli fuel.
Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: lanier shrike

Maybe a 10-10? what rpm? Is the 189 level or coming "Down the hill?"
Old 01-04-2007, 10:56 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put a hand held GPS on our GP Christen Eagle II with a Zenoah GT-80 engine on it. The GPS said 172MPH on the first attempt. I cannot believe that and don't understand how the GPS could give such a high reading. GPS only records speed over the earth (Ground Speed) and I don't think it could be tricked in any way by time glitches or anything like that. So we tried it again an got a 122 MPH reading all this time we made sure that we did not dive. We just took off and flew straight and level in several race course patterns. I think we need more tests in order to believe the GPS. I have, however gotten very consistant (and realistic) speed readings with the Eagle Tree system that uses the Pitot tube method.

Good luck with your attempt to break the 200MPH barrier. Revv ON!
Old 01-05-2007, 12:07 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: macauley

hi guys.lanier shrike 40,os 55,tuned pipe,apc 11x10 prop,i flew this combo monday afternoon with a handheld gps onboard.max speed came in at 189 mph but i feel like i should be getting more rpms..any sugestions on prop size?i run 30% heli fuel.
That seems like a lot of prop for the engine and airframe. I ran a 9x8 turning 18,000+ static rpm (Jett 50) on my Shrike 40 for best speed but never got that fast. I would question the gps speed.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:41 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you need to run your speed test again (GPS glich) and or confirm with another method. It would take a lot more power than any 55 class motor that I know of to push a shrike 40 to that kind of speed (estimate 7+ Hp @ 20,000rpm at flight speed with 11X10). The best I could get with a Shrike ARF 40 with landing gear on, using a Webra 55 and a Mac's tuned pipe spinning APC 9X10 16,500 rpm on the ground was 130 mph level flight. I own a OS 55 AX too, and found it just slightly stronger than a 46 AX. I have not run the 55 AX on a tuned pipe yet so it may have some more power, however would exspect well below the Webra. I think you could hurt the AX with 30% or just blow plugs and money.
I would like to know what the 11X10 prop was turning on the ground, and try and record some #'s for other props like 9X9, 9X10 and 10X7.

I love the 55 AX for 3D !!! torque!!!
Old 01-05-2007, 10:10 AM
macauley

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the advice guys.as to gps error i flew 4 tanks of fuel and played with pipe length and needle settings each time.the first flight came in at 167 and improved from there.as to running 30% fuel i've ran it for years in all of my 46fx's and pro 46's they seem to do well on it.i haven't tached the engine so i can't tell you any rpm numbers.i'm just tuning by ear.the only other prop i have tried is an 11x8 wich gave me alot more rpms but the speed was in the low 140's.needless to say i've got much more testing and tuning to do.thanks again for the advice