Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

NOT a GOOD thing!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:07 PM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: NOT a GOOD thing!

Trying to occupy the same airspace of a Nexus 30 with a Super Stik 60.
Is not a good thing.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:36 PM
TEAMERICA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: CEEllis
Not putting the wing struts on a 110" RascaL is NOT A GOOD THING!!
I was hoping I wouldn't have to share that little mishap.

On the up side, we have a spare set of unused Rascal Wing struts.[]

Old 01-10-2007, 07:33 AM
crasharama

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Kai Tak is gone these days, they have a very boring straight in aproach strip just like everywhere else these days. It is now a housing development or something. You can see it on google earth.

This is the lat/long 22' 18' 53.51, 114'12'24.39

I have another, practicing pylon with a mate, when he does a kamikaze run around #1 & cuts your wing off. Yours buries itself & his gently glides back down with out even a busting the prop.

I THOUGHT IT WAS NOT A GOOD THING
Old 01-16-2007, 08:18 PM
TEAMERICA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: mmattockx
What an awesome picture, though. Is that the engine leaving a smoke trail on the far left side?

Mark
Actually, I have studied that picture very closely and what you think is exhaust from the engine is actually fuel vapors from the ruptured fuel tanks.
Here is my conclusions of what I can pretty much surely identify from knowing both airplanes prior to the flight. I don't know if the resolution will come through with the RCU compression system. But, I was particularly looking for the items that went both UP and Away which is where I flew through only 7 seconds later.
The first picture is a composite that I put together of the two airplanes that were involved in the Mid-Air. I talked to the pilots and determined that the direction shown is true to the direction that each airplane was traveling as seen from the pilot's station. The second picture is a study of what I can identify. The third picture is what was left of my airplane 7 seconds later after hitting some remaining debris. It only took something as small as a 4-40 bolt or servo screw to hit my prop at 9000RPM. The resulting unbalanced prop shook the whole front of my airplane right off. My motor mounts were capable of sustaining the typical 20+ "G"s that they experience in the turns. Mine was flying straight and level when it hit the debris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52149.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	599682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97757.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	599683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc79175.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	599684  
Old 01-17-2007, 06:31 PM
joesabido

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Returning to the pilots area with tears in your eyes and your most beloved airplane in your arms... destroyed...AND some dude which you don't like AT ALL dares to ask with a smile on his face "Did you crash?"

...NOT A GOOD THING.... for the other guy's health...
Old 01-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Kmot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Teamerica: Boy, I would have loved to see that in person! Must have sounded just as intense as it looked. A very expensive mishap! Condolences to all concerned and their pocketbooks!
Old 01-17-2007, 08:54 PM
TEAMERICA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nobody wants to see a mid-air but nobody wants to miss one either.
Old 01-17-2007, 09:03 PM
TEAMERICA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Admittedly, some come for the crashes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ay74320.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	600475  
Old 01-20-2007, 11:53 PM
themanimal

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buying a full Heli set-up "for Gabriel" (my 6yo), telling the wife it cost $150 and then leaving the receipt where she could find it.

Is DEFINITELY NOT a good thing
Old 01-21-2007, 07:59 AM
proptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: themanimal

Buying a full Heli set-up "for Gabriel" (my 6yo), telling the wife it cost $150 and then leaving the receipt where she could find it.

Oh man!
[X(]
Old 01-23-2007, 02:20 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: themanimal

Nor is letting her get the the mailbox first when the VISA bill is coming through..

I once wrote "SALE - $29.95" on the front panel of a kit I bought, not for $29.95 I might add, and proudly walked into the house with it and showed her. She thought that was a lot of money for a kit...

As far as wives and hobby expenses - evidence is NOT a GOOD THING.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:02 PM
diggs_74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Stopping to get a flight in on the way to the hospital to pick up your wife and new born.. I should have left the plane at the field instead of in the back of the SUV I guess -- Not a good thing...
Old 01-23-2007, 03:11 PM
TEAMERICA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yea, it's best to "imprint" a newborn with the "fragrence" of nitro while in a warm and comfortable surounding. I usually liked to catch my son right after breast feeding when he is nodding off and place a nitro clean-up "cloth" next to his pillow. [:'(]
Old 01-23-2007, 05:01 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: diggs_74

Stopping to get a flight in on the way to the hospital to pick up your wife and new born.. I should have left the plane at the field instead of in the back of the SUV I guess -- Not a good thing...
Not airplane related, but forgetting you have 27 pounds of assorted high explosives in a portable magazine in your trunk while driving your first born son and wife home from the hospital is Not a Good Thing. Nor is realizing it just as you pull out of the parking lot, breaking into a cold sweat and gripping the wheel so tight your knuckles turn white and being asked "what's wrong?". I 'fessed up several years later, and survived.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Endor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A really funny thread.. ROFL!

Ok, here's one I witnessed from many years ago...flying an Sportsman Avaiation F-20 with a side-mount engine (muffler on bottom) in a vacant field near high-voltage power lines AND nicking one with the muffler IS NOT A GOOD THING (but it made a very pretty blue spark)

Seeing flashing traffic signals and dark buildings as a result... REALLY NOT A GOOD THING AT ALL.

Having to pack up and leave in a real hot hurry before "help" arrived... NOWHERE NEAR A GOOD THING.

BTW, I was NOT the one flying this one but was there when it happened. Quite spectacular, wish I had pictures... but didn't look a whole lot different than the midair pictures posted earlier (after the blue spark, of course)
Old 01-23-2007, 05:53 PM
Endor

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
How about helping your student, who has mastered flying a Train-Air .40, with his first low-wing, a Sport-Air .40.
Said student was having a great time and flying inverted. Then, Something falls off the airplane. Hmmm... that
was the tank hatch. Something else falls off. Hmmm... piece of foam rubber. Something else falls out... there goes
the tank. Silence from the engine... as another bit of foam rudder and the Rx battery pack drop out...
Actually, I saw something similar to that once but much more comical.

A fellow flyer had a Modeltech Magic Extra (the big red one)... that plane has a real weak spot on the fuse right at the thickest part of the wing (fuse is basically a single stringer at that point). It had been epoxied several times due to it breaking, and he was getting ready to retire the plane as a result.... but had to have one last flight.

So, in keeping with the thread rules...

Watching the front of your fuse, containing the engine AND the fuel tank, separate from the rear of the fuse at full throttle is NOT A GOOD THING.

A bunch of guys dancing around trying to figure out where the front of the fuse WITH A STILL-RUNNING MOTOR AT WOT AND HALF-TANK OF FUEL was going to land was actually quite funny, but I guess it was really NOT A GOOD THING either.
Old 01-23-2007, 07:18 PM
proptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That reminds me of another one...

I talked my new flying buddy into comming out to the (kinda bumpy ) grass field with me...
He was used to concrete, and didn't really want to come, but I kept at him to get some more stick time, and try a grass field for a change...

He starts to take off (there's a bit of a cross wind ) and doesn't get into the rudder quite hard enough, and then the airplane hits a bump and it's prematurely airborne...
He panics and pulls full up elevator and the thing does a perfect wing-over and starts back down and I'm staring at a .46 powered Cermark Bobcat's spinner making a beeline for my nose![X(]
I'm trying to decide which way to run, and saying a quick prayer as it jinks left and I side step right...
I hits a steel pipe we have a Hibachi grill welded to with a CLANG still going wide open, about 3-4 feet from where I was a second earlier...
NOT A GOOD THING!

After I got my heart back down out of my throat, and it slowed down a few hundred beats, I had to talk him out of quitting the hobby, because he felt so bad about it...

Funny (? ) thing though...he did something almost like that again about a year later...to me, again, while doing snap rolls a bit too close to the pits...
He crashed probably half a dozen planes in his first season...and I have a collection of broken TT .46 parts on my shelf, that are some of the most mangled and horrifically tortured bits of metal you'll ever see in this hobby...
He doesn't fly anymore...gave it up for golf
Old 01-23-2007, 07:46 PM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Turning off your transmitter while the engine is still running is not a good thing. I've seen this twice:
My buddy taxi'ed his Sig Fazer back to the pits from the runway. Just as he got close, he reached for the throttle trim to kill the engine. But he flipped the on/off switch instead. Life would have been good, except at this very busy field there was enough stray RF that the engine went to full throttle. With the large diameter/low pitch prop, it shot past half a dozen airplanes parked in the pits and also missed a couple other people to deposit itself under a pickup. Only damage was his Fazer, but it was so close.

The other time was at the scale event at the Nat's in Lincoln. Nice warbird taxi'ed back and the pilot collapsed the antenna and turned off the transmitter and turned around to take kudo's from another pilot. Mean while, the warbird started to slowly gain speed as the engine picked up slowly. After about a 50 foot run, the plane broke ground and hit the line that separated the crowd from the flight line with a wingtip. The guy on the other side of the line sitting in a lawn chair rolled out of the chair at about the same time the airplane flipped into the chair. This was about the same time the owner turned around to see what all the shouting was about. Really not a good thing.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:44 PM
buddude8

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

flying a gp shoestring at night with glow sticks. coming out of a no power dive, start to pull out and give it gas. No responce from the engine just a burb. you think its dead stick and pull more elevator for a quick landing. the engine wasnt dead just loaded up and then boom full throttle with full deflection of the elevator about 50 feet from the ground. you can guess what happened next.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Doing tailslides with a Giant scale plane on the downwind leg instead of the runway, at an Airshow, over the powerlines....

Is not a good thing!!!

ARC...Ka-Boom...

Power was knocked to part of Willow Run Airport, Yankee Airforce's Memorial Day pancake breakfast, and surrounding neighborhood. The plane was distroyed. R/C demo Flying put on hold, one hour, untill cleared by the tower.

Sorry no photos.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 PM
Lomcevak Duck

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Getting that "one more" flight right before sundown...

Then retreiving a trashbag a flashlight and three buddies to help bring the plane back to the pits...
Not normally a good thing.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:20 PM
TEAMERICA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Spending all day Saturday wiring my QB 60 Monster with night lights so that I could turn the lights on and off by the Transmitter. Get to the Night Fly and taking off and the lights go off by themself - I didn't do it.

NOT a GOOD THING!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Troy-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maiden flight on a new pylon racer at a field near a public boat launch area. Get up, trim out a little, come around for a straight pass and hearing one of the loudest motor boat engines you've ever heard thinking, "Man that thing is LOUD!!"

Then the stark realization the motorboat sound is coming from your airplane and it's starting a slow, death roll to the left.
F-L-U-T-T-E-RRRRR!! Cut the throttle and watch it as it spirals into the ground....NOT A GOOD THING!!

The good thing: it landed nose first into a large tumble weed and aside from a few scratches to the paint from *****ly branches and a broken prop, the airframe comes out unscathed. Fix the loose aileron servo and linkages and race another day.
Old 01-25-2007, 11:44 AM
Flyboy Dave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

.....having the wing come off your Ultra Stick at full throttle....

....not a good thing ! [sm=stupid.gif]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ge94190.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	606233  
Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM
adam d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models