Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Extreme Speed of Propeller or Airplane ???

Old 01-13-2007, 01:06 PM
NikolayTT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Extreme Speed of Propeller or Airplane ???

Dear Fellows,
One can observe all kind of "strange" things like Propeller Driven Scale Plane which is
faster than Pilon Racer, even Ducted Fan Jet, and even faster than ordinary Turbine
Jet Plane, of course if attend enough Air shows in the RC World, isn't it. Then I have
a few well "disturbing" questions, maybe you would like to help me finding the
answers for some of them:
1. What is the pleasure of flying slow jet (ducted or turbine) jet wit the geometry
of the wings exclusively designed for speed far above 400 km/h; isn't it even more
than strange ? Obviously there is a pleasure and big bills too, but the flying quality
looks achievable with .46 trainer ... almost and with 10x less money... [:-]
well a bit of overstatement but I guess you get my point anyway.
2. How do you feel if a nicely looking nowadays RC Scale plane, for example like
Lancair, or similar has a speed above 200 km/h and it is even faster than Pilon racer
of course with the appropriate engine & propeller ? In fact flying Pilon Racers with the
standard .40 engine looks Very Similar to Control Line Airplane Flying, but the price
is again something like 10x higher than good old time Line Controlled plane ... [8D]

Surely I am building something like that Lancair with excessive power classic
piston engine and I wander if I could get some answers prior I go and fly it.

Thanks in advance for reading and eventually helping with some answers.

Best Regards,
Nikolay
Old 01-13-2007, 03:23 PM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Extreme Speed of Propeller or Airplane ???

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif][sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

im kinda lost on what you want to hear. but i think it boils down to "to each their own" everybody has something different that gets thier heart pumping. I personally love watching a scale rc jet do a low pass low speed fly by.

ken
Old 01-13-2007, 05:04 PM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

1. Are you asking why folks would spend thousands of dollars to go as fast as a 150 dollar airplane? Certainly the style of plane flying makes all the difference to the pilot. A large, turbine powered jet may only go 150 mph and I could probably attain that speed MAY have already attained that speed with a standard 47 sport engine, a high pitched prop and some Free Coroplast. But that is assuming that SPEED is the only goal. Producing a realistic, beautiful turbine powered aircraft that handles well is probably more on the list of things the Turbine guys are doing. The upper limits of speed achievable by them are just an added benefit. Am I jealous that someone can afford 15-20 thousand per aircraft and I'm scraping together money to buy RX gear for my next airplane? Yuppers, but if I did have the money I don't know that I actually would spend it there anyways. They are pretty cool jets though, hmmmm.

2. A scale Lancair that goes faster than a pylon ship? Yes, and? A pylon ship is designed with a specific purpose and under a set of rules. Depending on event they are limited to engine, wing, fuse and type of construction. Your scale ship has none of these limitations to it therefore you can take a clean design like the Lancair, put some decent power in it and just go all out. And if you are trying to compare RC racing to CL racing, the differences are quite large. In fact, the only real comparison is that its a race with a set engine size. The RC version requires great depth perception and smooth flying skills. The CL version requires great depth perception, smooth flying skills and the ability to run around in the center of a tight circle for 10 minutes at a time. Put the average guy up with two other pilots going around in 2.5 seconds for 140 laps and see where the athletic portion of the event comes in. I have only raced in the introductory classes of both styles and they are both fun. But I am not a great pilot. I am an average sport pilot with tons of practice behind me. Very few people with my capabilities can work as long and hard as I have without rising in the ranks of a discipline. But I have done it. I have firmly planted my feet on the shores of mediocrity and firmly cemented them there!

I just wish now that I had waited till high tide. Don't suppose anyone out there would have a sledge hammer I could borrow?

I hope these are an answer to your questions. It probably was best answered by Buddude8 when he said 'To each his own'. But I figured I had all this bandwidth, you know?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:21 PM
NikolayTT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes and No.

Those jets look great and they fly very badly; the aerodynamics doesn't care much about the outlook and
the money and the jet-wing is for really high speeds as we know, for lot above 200 mph. Thus, I think that
placing an expensive turbine is just of waste of money show for those speeds, isn't it ? [sm=confused.gif]

Pilon racers do quite the same what their fathers did in the control line (non RC) speed races some
30-40 years ago, nothing really new. Only the money bills are lot bigger but the way of flying is quite
the same.[sm=confused.gif]

Then my question is getting more clear: - Is there any RC class, something like Scale Race where the
Speed and Skills are in really good use and for competition, not competing how big money we can
spend in a bit "strange" (did not say stupid) manner ? [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I.e. is there any class like the Red Bull AirRace in the RC World ?

If there is somehing like that, please send WWW-pages and info.

Nikolay
Old 01-13-2007, 08:01 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: NikolayTT

Yes and No.

Those jets look great and they fly very badly; the aerodynamics doesn't care much about the outlook and
the money and the jet-wing is for really high speeds as we know, for lot above 200 mph. Thus, I think that
placing an expensive turbine is just of waste of money show for those speeds, isn't it ? [sm=confused.gif]

Pilon racers do quite the same what their fathers did in the control line (non RC) speed races some
30-40 years ago, nothing really new. Only the money bills are lot bigger but the way of flying is quite
the same.[sm=confused.gif]

Then my question is getting more clear: - Is there any RC class, something like Scale Race where the
Speed and Skills are in really good use and for competition, not competing how big money we can
spend in a bit "strange" (did not say stupid) manner ? [sm=wink_smile.gif]

I.e. is there any class like the Red Bull AirRace in the RC World ?

If there is somehing like that, please send WWW-pages and info.

Nikolay
I think most guys flying turbine jets are not in it for the speed, they are in it because they want to fly a turbine jet. It may appear to be a waste of money to you, but they will disagree because they WANT to fly a turbine jet. Have you ever actually flown a turbine powered jet (be it a scale or a sport one)?
And the guys that are truly into turbines for the speed... well I can tell you they are going a lot faster than 150 mph...

As for RC pylon being the same as CL speed: I wouldn't know, because I only flew CL once in my life and it made me dizzy
But I certainly don't think they are the same. Do you compete in some RC pylon event?

If you can come up with an event that is cheap and STAYS cheap... good luck, and patent it!
People have been trying for decades to get an event together that focuses on flying skills as opposed to big wallets... But guess what: pylon racing is about going fast, turning left and getting at the finish line first. Going fast tends to cost money, and people are generally more than willing to spend it if it means they have a bigger chance of winning.
And even at that, pylon is still about skill, no matter how much money you have. You can have the fastest plane in the competition, but if you can't fly the circuit, you still loose.

The Redbull airrace is hardly a race... it is an airshow. If it were a racing event, they wouldn't be flying Extra's...

Why do I answer to this...? [&:]
Old 01-13-2007, 08:32 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Why do I answer to this...?
Because he's on your side of the pond?
Old 01-13-2007, 09:42 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hay:
As usual the "Buddude 8" has it right first away. If you wanta just go fast, build a all out speed only model and go to europe and compete with the real honest go faste guys. If you want to go fast and turn (ie race) you need to go to Q-500 or forumla for around 200 mph and affordable costs, or to gient scale for 275mph and $10-15,000 basic airplanes for that unlimited class which is 75 mph above the max airspeed permitted by the AMA for now. For the unusual, go to the jets and still spend the 10-15k. In the final analysis, its still as the dude said, "To each their own". Do you perfer a chev. or ford, blond or what ever comes next, your choice, your values, dont try to understand the rest of us cause none of us are the same (thank god). Regardless, ENJOY life as you want to live it. Otherwise you must conform with the Buddude8, his bro and myself, a thing we really do not wish on you, but you could do a lot worse.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:35 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would say that the German Speed Event (Cup) is where the fastest prop planes go to play (222 MPH top speed reached):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_37...tm.htm#3740991

For turbines it would be the Brazilan Jet Speed Event (317 MPH top speed reached):

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3546158
Old 01-15-2007, 01:45 AM
NikolayTT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Guys,
While talking about the extremes in the RC Speed Aviation, I think we still did not find the RC class where the
things are in harmony. For sure I did not mean to decline the right of exsistence of any of those classes but
some of you jumped to defend them. And even if I have denied their exsistence right, what then; I am nobody
to tell what should happen. If you got me that way, then you still did not understand me. So, let me try again
in a different manner of expression in order to find a path to your correct understanding:
1. Every body is Free to make any crazy thing as long as he does not cause harm, including making us
a waste of money show and using utmost perfect technical skils; I guess we do not disagree this ever; that
is the freedom of expressing ourselves (and myself) too.
2. Extreme Speed and a bit ugly looking planes ? - Well depends on the taste; usually people disagree,
because what is nicely looking thing for someone is not looking so (...) nice to someone else. But then
there are things (cars, boats, airplanes, etc) which are commonly more prefered than the other ones
and thus the humans tend to have some way to agree what is more desirable for more people than
what is pleasing few people only. The Other way around: - Extreme Speed and Very attractive planes,
like those Jets in Brasil (THANKS FOR THE WWW-PAGES !!!) still have a big drawback - COST, in both
senses: Materials and Workhours. Thus, in both speed classes, propeller and turbine, there are very
few players indeed. Where are the masses of humans = they play and look at football, hokey etc,
simple things they can "assemble" in a fast manner, and they look at us a hopeless maniacs some
time because most of the time many of us are such ones. Well, that is also freedom we defend the
right to exist, but we are too lonely quite many times.
3. Other Big Cost examples are the World Aerobatic (human inside) Championship and the race in
Reno. But that is not the case of lonelines in the Red Bull Air Races. And doesn't matter what we call
or not that race, there are attracted millions of people and they cannot be all wrong and we - the right
ones. Thus, my whole Question is: (I am trying again to formulate it more precisely) - Is there any
RC Class where the things are in better Harmony so many people can find pleasure at least looking
at it, like it is in RedBull AirRace, and it is not in any other Air Sport (still do not get me wrong here,
I do not drink that RedBull drink - that is too much coffein inside). In RedBull AirRace there are Many
things taken to the edge of perfection: Perfect Pilot Skils, Ulitmately performing Ariplanes, Low cost
compared with the cost for F1 car (maybe 1:5 if not 1:10), Attractive Flight of Freedom in the Air.
4. My Idea was and still is, by looking into the problems, to try to find for myself a solution of
a more efficent way of spending the Money and Time in the RC hobby, by asking if someone else
has found that. Something really efficient and in Harmony with all those difficulties, and thus wining
the Approval and Admiration of lot more people like the RedBull AirRace, but now in the RC World ?
And the benefit for the RC would be at least Lower Cost due to the massive competition of many
suppliers, isn't it. Thus, if there is such RC Plane Class, please E-mail me some WWW-pages.

Best Regards,
Nikolay
Old 01-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Clean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

SPAD Bulldawg- 3 bucks of coro and pvc. Midway down the SPADdawgs website http://www.spssalesinc.com/spaddawgs_photos.htm
GMS47 or your choice of cheap engine for speed, more if you can afford it, 65 bucks at Tower
131 mph

Is that cheap and fast enough for you?

As far as attracting public? They aren't interested and generally wonder why we're not playing video games.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:33 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maybe he would be referring to one of the 2 main classes of Pylon Racing.

Q-500 would be more "for the people" (i.e. the low cost allows "the masses" to play too). There are standard, readily available ARFs and kits available (the Predator II of Lanier RC being the most popular ARF http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/r...atorIIARF.html )

and the engines are not that expensive. This is how "common folk" enter the sport of racing at my local club and if I was so inclined to enter the sport of competitive racing, where I would start

A select few then graduate to QM-40 or even F3D, with specially designed composite airframes and VERY high revving Nelson engines(but do-able for less than $1000 USD)
Old 01-15-2007, 04:45 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check out this jet

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tErGXfwMI...elated&search=
Old 01-15-2007, 04:48 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this one is even faster

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rT-DtoKyY...elated&search=
Old 01-15-2007, 09:28 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SSGSPEEDMAN

this one is even faster

http://youtube.com/watch?v=rT-DtoKyY...elated&search=
That's the same plane in both videos...
Old 01-16-2007, 02:44 PM
jaka

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi!
Nikolay! I have trouble following you...[] I don't unestly understand what you are after????
I fly pylonracing because it's fun! I build and fly scale because its fun! I fly aircombat because it's fun!
Its simple as that...!
What's the logic in life???
Old 01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
NikolayTT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jan,

Surely I build and fly quite many different things but the probelms which are bothering me are:
1. The RC comunity has copied in a way or another the behaviour of the Wind; blows in any
possible direction and with all kind of useless results and expensive "damages". Maybe if this
is the hobby idea then nothing wrong with it, but we are pretty lonely in this hobby, aren't we,
and especially in Scandinavia, and the fun is of course well limited to have only couple guys
in few of the many RC classes. While the videogame watchers, football, hockey, etc, there
are many millions times more than us people out there; are all of them stupid people ? - I do
not think so; maybe there is something wrong with us as well... - this is the General Reason
to search for STRANGE things in this forum, like Extreme Speed of the Propeller, but not all
are those who care if the Speed of the Airplane is nothing special ... Also, Jets are nicely
looking and expensive but with Jet turbine on Regular Wing Ariplane could still be faster
then with Jet Wing, which Jet Wing is for speed newer achieved (so far at least) in RC, i.e.
we have not seen anyone going with 900 km/h where according to AeroDynamic Engineers
the Jet-type of wing makes sense; meaning another reason to the general public to look at
us as to as a kind of nice "lunatics" and turn their back to us.
2. Next, I turned to this and some other forums to find out if someone has invented a
nice combination of High-Tech, High-Performance, Modest Cost, and VERY ATTRACTIVE
RC type of Airplanes-and-Competition, which would attract lot more people than anyone
of the exsisting ones, something like the RedBullAirRace did in the big planes. Maybe
such thing is coming, maybe not; still I did not get any encouraging answer from
anyone yet; mostly the answer is in a way or another, "take a break, take a KitKat"
and do not bother, do as all the others do, forget thinking over this ... Still some
people asked "Why", like you did, and that is giving me hope; Thanks for asking !!!
3. After all those discussions in this and some other forums, I am thankful for the
constructive remarks, not surprised by the standard dicuraging ones, and I see that
maybe the future is something like RC models types which are (I will try to define
what I believe in and that might turn not to be the case anyway):
Very Good Looking Piston Type Scale RC-models, with sizes of 160-180 cm,