Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Hand Launch a 1/4 Midget Mustang?

Old 01-16-2007, 12:27 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hand Launch a 1/4 Midget Mustang?

I have just ordered a 1/4 Midget Mustang short kit from Eureka Aircraft ( http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/ ) and am wondering about leaving the gear off and simply hand launching it. It will not be raced, just a fast sport plane for fun. Power will be a TT 36 Pro, maybe with a Jett muffler. Given the size of the plane, it should be an easy hand launch with the 36 on the front.

Has anybody done this and is it as easy as I am thinking? Any reasons not to do this?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 01-16-2007, 01:04 PM
bs4219rc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hand Launch a 1/4 Midget Mustang?

hello i just recently built a arf combat cosair from great planes. you can get the specs from tower hobbies. its sounds about the same size. i handlaunch it with no gear. it has an os 25 with a 9x7 prop. it launches very easy with no bad habits. good luck!
Old 01-16-2007, 02:21 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If I recall that aircraft properly, it does have a belly scoop on it for scale lines (as required by the QM15 rules).

If so, Id leave the landing gear on. You will not be missing out a great deal speed wise.

I believe Hayse still has the QM15 racing wheels available.

Should be a fun project. Eureka has developed a rep for producing some nice kits
Old 01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

If I recall that aircraft properly, it does have a belly scoop on it for scale lines (as required by the QM15 rules).

If so, Id leave the landing gear on. You will not be missing out a great deal speed wise.

I believe Hayse still has the QM15 racing wheels available.

Should be a fun project. Eureka has developed a rep for producing some nice kits
Bob,

Their site mentions building it with or without the scoop. I will have to look at the plans and decide then.

I am not worried about the speed, but it is lighter, simpler and looks MUCH better without the feet hanging out.

I will check out the Hayes wheels, thanks for the tip.

I have an Eyeball kit and the Troublemaker kit from them as well and they are nicely done.

Mark
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

602's ?????

http://www.retracts.com/Retrax_600.htm

[&:]
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mark...thanks for posting the link to Eureka
I have been wanting to get my hands on another Troublemaker and Banshee for a long time.
Have you built and flown them?

I had one of each and flew a Banshee for a while in a few pattern meets back in late 70's, with a pumped K&B .61...
Old 01-17-2007, 09:59 AM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: proptop

Mark...thanks for posting the link to Eureka
I have been wanting to get my hands on another Troublemaker and Banshee for a long time.
Have you built and flown them?

I had one of each and flew a Banshee for a while in a few pattern meets back in late 70's, with a pumped K&B .61...
Nope, just have the kits sitting in the box at the moment, just too many things to get done. The Troublemaker will be next up or #2 after my current project gets cleared off the board. The plans are nicely drawn with lots of building notes and isometric views showing the construction sequence. Which is good, because there are no other instructions! If you are an experienced builder (which you sound like) there is more than enough to get the job done, if you are used to the ARF world, this would be a pretty huge hurdle to overcome. Service was top notch and fast, with Don bending over backwards to be helpful and make sure I was happy. There was a mix up with the plans in my kit and Don had the correct ones in the mail the next day after I notified him of the mistake.

Mark