Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Speed Freaks Wanted- Over 200 Members already !

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Speed Freaks Wanted- Over 200 Members already !

Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 PM
smokingtommy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Speed Freaks Wanted- Over 150 Members already !

hi all well me and my friend have finished our new guided missile we are hopeing to hit over the 200mph mark with this baby [sm=bananahead.gif] only was able to do a engine test today as it was just to windy to take her out grrrr crapy english weather thats my mate Mark on the left and me Tom on the right we still to name the speed plane but im shore we will think of somthing [8D]also we made two speed fighters a dora me109 which is Marks and a P51 mustang which is mine and we have called them feisty fighters they are experimental models of our own design thay are only 40" wingspan with 25s on thay should go like stink though and once again due to the great powers above the english weather thay to have not taken to the air yet but they do look [8D]

REVVER #143 - #144
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31613.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	550002   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42742.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	550003   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72229.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	550004  
Old 10-28-2006, 08:14 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

200?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:44 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Smoking Tommy- Thanks for sharing the pics! That is a good looking speed ship! What engine you runnin'?

I am a little surprised that one of the warbirds isn't a Spitfire
Old 10-29-2006, 04:27 AM
Easystern

Hey Tommy and howdy to GB,
nice looking planes
what size is the weston in the mustang is it a 25 ? and how is the power of that engine.

i am planning to put an engine in a 1/2 a plane 35 in wingspan , i got an os 32sx but i think it will be a little to heavy for the little one. 25 would be better and i like the westons ,i have a 50v1 in a magnum
here is a pic and by the way a pic of the modified rods of my magnum, i did spend almost the price of the magnum in 2mm balljoints and anodized nuts to get the linkage ready.

but i think its a good and clean result without gap in the linkage.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95873.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	550281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11393.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	550282  
Old 10-29-2006, 05:27 AM
smokingtommy

ok the speed plane i is very very light we felt that we would like to stay in the 40 size range of stock engines as it would be more of a challange to get to the 200mph mark so as a starting of point we have gone with a ASP 40 yes we could of got a much more powerfull engine and im shore some will say its not possible but we are happy with the way we have gone and it will be cool if we can hit the mark but most of all it will be fun trying as a staring point for the test flight we have gone with a 10"prop with a apc 9-6 and a 8-6 in the tool bag and we are starting of with a good 10% fuel and we will be uping that to but as alway we do like to keep safty in mind we are running a fail safe and need to get used to her first with keeping in a tite box etc lol if we do lose her im dame shore im getting my pipe back unless its gone of in the distance and hits some 6ft tall and wide blokes car humm i mite have to think about that one so when we get a good day ill let you know of the out come .And as to the fighters why did we not make a spit lol come on who in there right mind would want to build one of them horrible things [:'(] we only put 1" of diehedrel on them we wanted to keep them fast and with some sort of scale flying caritoristric like doing nice barrel rolls and turns they should be fun and yes that is a western 25 and man it dose have some pull it will go vertical the pipe kicks in at about halfstick and im shore it will become a beast when it dose maybe just alittle over powered for a 40" wingspan you do have a nice set up on your magnum and i bet it did indeed cost a prity penny but im shore its worth it there is no other worse feeling in loseing a plane due to a por set up and having to spend a week kicking yourself thinking if only i had done this or that
Old 10-29-2006, 10:29 PM
Razor-RCU

Easystern- That is the sweet linkage there on the Maggy. I am a big fan of the $39.99 Hitec-645MG (107/ 133oz) servos.

My Magnum got re-arfed when the West fried 13 seconds into flight #1 [X(] She is fixed and I am waiting to get the engine back from Alan.

Smokingtommy- Maybe if you cowl the engine, and get some pitch > 6 you will see good speeds but I seriously think 200 is a bit ambitious for your set-up. The fun IS trying though I realize...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Dr. Speed
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: vicman

I was thinking about that whole # thing for you Ken, and how it would've been cool to get you #8 so you could be at one with Little E.
But 163 fit your hand pretty good.
Yeah I was there to see Buddude get his number!! You are finally "oficially" a Rev Bro.....congrats.....see ya Nov 17th
Old 10-30-2006, 02:16 PM
gary3040
My Feedback: (5)

SHRIKE 40- TORQUE ON TAKE OFF IS SOOOOOOOOO BAD ITS LIKE A KNIFE EDGE 6" OFF THE GROUND
BALANCE IS RIGHT - RUNNING A OS LA 46 10X6 PROP
ITS JUST LIKE I HAVE TO SAVE IT ON EVERY TAKE OFF
ENGINE IS MOUNTED STRAIGHT TOO
ANY IDEAS ?.....THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 10-30-2006, 02:49 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hold some right aileron on the stick when you are taking off....

...when it gets level and gaining speed, release the stick....
Old 10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
vicman

Also launch it rotated about 30 degrees to the left
Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

drop to a 9x6 or 9x7 prop.... that will help.

Also try launching at 3/4 throttle.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM
smokingtommy

ok im think you are replying to me lol we are not novices we have set it up with about 3- 4degrees of side thrust to the right (if looking from behind) and as to a ASP40 being in the same class as a OS la46 please pick me up off the floor, as apose to your single bearing cooking moter that runs on piss to a dubble bearing motor that runs on 30%rocket fuel i feel you would be better of a mc donalds straw as i tuned pipe lol we have a 200size brushed moter that will bet that try putting a few nails in the right wing
Old 10-30-2006, 04:21 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also launch it rotated about 30 degrees to the left
Well, that way it might rotate all the way around until it is upright again before it hits.. I'd sooner bank it to the right.

As Bob says, part throttle is a good idea. A lot of smaller highly powered electrics do this too, especially with light weight wing panels and/or lower aspect ratio wings both which result in lower polar inertia [less resistance to rotational acceleration]. The usual remedy is to launch at part throttle.

Skidmark moment.. I test flew a Multiplex Pico Jet with a Hacker B40 for a buddy of mine a while ago - and launched it at full throttle not totally appreciating how much torque was involved for this rather small and light aircraft. Wham, it rotated 180 degrees to inverted immediately after launch (and it wasn't too wussy a toss). I almost bent the stick right off when I slammed in downstick, but I managed to pull out inverted and rotate upright again. Since my instinctive reaction was to counter the rotation with opposite aileron, I did not get a chance to see if helping it all the way around would have been a better choice, but I'll leave that experiment alone for now. Subsequent launches were made with a harder toss at 2/3 throttle, and banked a bit to the right for good measure..

Note too, re Bob's comments above, that these test flights were on a 6-3 prop, and indeed the problem was reduced with a smaller prop.

MJD
Old 10-30-2006, 04:38 PM
MJD

ORIGINAL: smokingtommy

ok im think you are replying to me lol we are not novices we have set it up with about 3- 4degrees of side thrust to the right (if looking from behind) and as to a ASP40 being in the same class as a OS la46 please pick me up off the floor, as apose to your single bearing cooking moter that runs on piss to a dubble bearing motor that runs on 30%rocket fuel i feel you would be better of a mc donalds straw as i tuned pipe lol we have a 200size brushed moter that will bet that try putting a few nails in the right wing
Side thrust won't make any difference to torque reaction at launch. And balancing right wing heavy is just going to be a nuisance during flight - I wouldn't advise it.

Nice looking speed plane, but man, I really doubt you are going to make 200mph with the engine and pipe hanging in the breeze like that. I think you're gonna need to stuff that pipe and engine under a cowling, and rear exhaust would be better yet (and more $$ of course.. always the way). But for sure, it won't be a slouch as is. And if it hits an honest 200 well then Bob's your uncle!

MJD
Old 10-30-2006, 04:41 PM
MJD

Oh Flyboy Dave..

If I post my official application this week, can I get #169?

MJD
Old 10-30-2006, 06:15 PM
smokingtommy

i am sorry i did not mean to bite like that it is very unlike me it just been such a bad day and i am in the wrong for coming of my feelings the way i did i enjoy following this forum and and i respect the people that use it and weather we are wrong or right in subjects at the end of the day people around the world take time out for others in this forum and that should be respected at all times im sorry []
Old 10-30-2006, 09:46 PM
vicman

ok im think you are replying to me lol we are not novices please pick me up off the floor, as apose to your single bearing cooking moter that runs on piss to a dubble bearing motor that runs on 30%rocket fuel i feel you would be better of a mc donalds straw as i tuned pipe lol we have a 200size brushed moter that will bet that try putting a few nails in the right wing

that should be respected at all times
[&o]Try typing coherently as a start. Then try not offending some of us (its not always about you). Then contribute in a postive way.[sm=tired.gif]
Old 10-30-2006, 10:35 PM
Razor-RCU

Smokin- An ASP-40 is hardly a speed engine... Are you planning on upgrading after the initial flight(s)?

I have bad days as well, just remember you have not posted very much so we are just getting a feeling for your posts. I originally thought your 200 post was a troll, to be honest...

I am sure you will have fun with that aircraft and if nothing else, it may lead you towards a true speed airframe!

Good luck man!
Old 10-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

ok im think you are replying to me lol we are not novices please pick me up off the floor, as apose to your single bearing cooking moter that runs on piss to a dubble bearing motor that runs on 30%rocket fuel i feel you would be better of a mc donalds straw as i tuned pipe lol we have a 200size brushed moter that will bet that try putting a few nails in the right wing

that should be respected at all times

[&o]Try typing coherently as a start. Then try not offending some of us (its not always about you). Then contribute in a postive way.[sm=tired.gif]

VICMAN,

you don't understand the queens english? [8D]

Bob
Old 10-30-2006, 11:05 PM
vicman

VICMAN,

you don't understand the queens english?
Neither that or quaalude.[sm=bananahead.gif]

Maybe I need the dialectizer. Or the Capitalizer, Hows about the spellarixer (the x sounds like a z, like xavier).

I'll stop now if the rest of those posts improve.[sm=72_72.gif]
Old 10-31-2006, 02:48 AM
72nova
My Feedback: (3)

why guys i got a question for ya i have a sig kobra with a 32 sx os with tuned pipe and i ma wondering what is the best size and brand of prop to get max mph "speed " out of it thanks in advance
travis
Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 AM
MyWay

APC 9-6. The plane will hit a speed wall at about 110 mph. Good luck and have fun.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: gary3040

SHRIKE 40- TORQUE ON TAKE OFF IS SOOOOOOOOO BAD ITS LIKE A KNIFE EDGE 6" OFF THE GROUND
BALANCE IS RIGHT - RUNNING A OS LA 46 10X6 PROP
ITS JUST LIKE I HAVE TO SAVE IT ON EVERY TAKE OFF
ENGINE IS MOUNTED STRAIGHT TOO
ANY IDEAS ?.....THANKS IN ADVANCE
Here is my Shrike launch with no aileron correction. Using a 9x8 this time but a 10" prop worked well too. Wonder if the lack of power with the LA is part of the problem? Mine has a Sport Jett engine.

http://members.cox.net/mdconnor/shriketo.mpg

I have relatives in Jasper Indiana. The name Gootee ring a bell?
Old 11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
colbourne

Has anyone experimented with using parachutes for landings.

These models are fast , have poor slow speed airfoils, and normally have high wing loadings and probably no flaps.

Rather than risk a normal landing at high speed why not simply come in with a parachute. It might not score any style points (although people will be entertained) and it can also be used after your wing folds ( a common problem with my high speed glider designs).

I personally prefer to go for cheap smallish engines and rely on superior airframe design for my high speed models. Ultra thin wiings using corrogated plastic over hard wood structure. I dont believe deltas are the way to go at our speeds as they rely on power instead of clean aerodynamics.

Happy flying.

Stephen
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 AM
Easystern

Easystern- That is the sweet linkage there on the Maggy. I am a big fan of the $39.99 Hitec-645MG (107/ 133oz) servos.
hi razor rcu...
i had no clue what servo is fine for the magnum ,i caled allen at weston uk and he told me go by the 645 mg thats what i did.
its a fast and strong one , sometimes i get some storrys about metal gear should not good for high revving /vibrating planes, don't know..... i got the 645 on a rc fair 25% down in price

hi 72 nova....
how big is the cobra ,
i got the same engine for a little plane to, would be interesting what prop would be fine to get lots of rpmmmmmm's out of that engine.
we have a nice muffler company here in germany ,the make a perfect quiet stainless steel muffler with more rpm's then the stock muffler. they use the mufflers on 90 % in the reno racing class on stock engines and in planes 60' size planes.
stuckerjuegen is the company.
http://www.stukerjurgen.de/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.