Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

GP Ultra Sport 40 ARF Engine choice for high speed?

Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

GP Ultra Sport 40 ARF Engine choice for high speed?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 PM
scriptt
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GP Ultra Sport 40 ARF Engine choice for high speed?

Hi, I have an Ultra Sport 40 ARF, with retracts and id like to get the highest speed out of it possible. (100+ mph)

Id like a plane that can cruise around at low idles and then really zoom when I get on the gas.

Please help me with an engine and prop selection.

Any help appreciated.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GP Ultra Sport 40 ARF Engine choice for high speed?

....you could put a Tower .75 in it, only $95.00....with a Zinger 11-8 prop, and it will
go 100 PLUS with no trouble. It might be about the fastest sport plane at your field.

FBD.
Old 01-28-2007, 01:38 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well the fastest sport engines are the Jett-50 or Jett060LX but I do not know your price range. I like the US-40 but I would not personally put a Jett in there...

I really like the Webra-50 (there is a new 55 also) and the OS-50SX (again newer 55 available) both of these with a 9x8 APC.

Give us more info. and we can make more suggestions
Old 01-28-2007, 03:46 PM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to keep the cost of the motor around $100. I also need to know what i need to do in regards of strengthening the planes structure.

That .75 looks nice, are you sure it will fit in the nose cone of an Ultra Sport 40? Will i need a larger fuel tank?

And, will adding a larger engine like this affect the planes docile nature at low speeds? Will it make the landings faster?

Old 01-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For $100 I would get a TT Pro-46 and a Tower muffler...Unless you can get a used Rossi-45, YS-45 or Webra as previously mentioned

The Tower will be difficult to fit up front-
It WILL affect the docile nature of the airframe and increase landing speeds-
You don't need a bigger tank but prepared for less flight-time-
Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your not going to find anything overly impressive for $100. ON the other hand, why don't you try a ST G90 with an 11/11 apc prop and an Ultra thrust muffler and see what happens. You goig to have retracts in it?
Old 01-28-2007, 10:55 PM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I will have retracts.

So this set-up would be un-impressive? How much we talking to up the ante?
Old 01-28-2007, 11:08 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is this a kit. If I had one , I wold serious put a 60 in it. With the right """"""prop"""""" it would be a very impressive flight. I have the 60 size with a Jett 90 and spring airs. Mine here is all red and all whit on the bottom. I'd like to see one just like this but all Cub Yellow with a black canopy. Would lok real sharp
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34318.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	608957  
Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 AM
Razor-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

An Ultrathrust muffler alone is $70 bucks. 11x11? Geesh

OK get a used Rossi-60, that should do the trick---
Old 01-29-2007, 02:12 AM
davo580

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

try the os61fx
Old 01-29-2007, 08:44 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: scriptt

I would like to keep the cost of the motor around $100. I also need to know what i need to do in regards of strengthening the planes structure.

That .75 looks nice, are you sure it will fit in the nose cone of an Ultra Sport 40? Will i need a larger fuel tank?

And, will adding a larger engine like this affect the planes docile nature at low speeds? Will it make the landings faster?

Thunder Tiger 46, Jett-Stream or Ultra-thrust muffler - run a 9x7 prop.
Combo will run you about $150

The tower muffler Razor noted is an option too, but you will want to stick with a 10x6 or 9x8 with that option.

Very likely you will hit 100+ with th egear up. No weight and balance issues.

Bob
Old 02-11-2007, 04:16 PM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok I have been looking at the Rossi engines and I was wandering if you’re serious on the .60 sized Rossi? That thing puts out 2.8hp @ 17,000RPM

I was thinking about the Rossi 46, rated at 2.2hp @16,500 RPM. It seems like it would fit the plane better, and it still has the same power output of the tower .75.

Another option is the Rossi 53 rated at 2.3hp @ 18,000 RPM.

I’m about to pull the trigger on the motor, so id like someone to give me some advice on these three choices. I figure if one of the smaller engines will help keep the plane balance, and power it sufficiently, wile saving me money that would be the best choice.

And here is what I was thinking for all of the other basics:

Hitec Supreme IIS 8-Channel FM Autoshift DC Receiver
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYK3&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXKYK3&P=0[/link]

Hitec HS-75 Retract BB Servo
[link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN568&P=0]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXN568&P=0[/link]

Futaba S3004 Servos

I picked all of this stuff based on price. If any of it raises any red flags to any of you please let me know. This is my first build that didn’t have everything included.

Or if anyone has any advice to save me some money, I would appreciate that as well.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:09 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are we serious?Are we serious?[sm=lol.gif] Guess you don't know whooooooo we are?[>:]
Old 02-12-2007, 12:03 PM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

I like the US-40 but I would not personally put a Jett in there...
from the get go i personally wouldn't either, i started off in my last US40 ARF with an OS 70 Surpass 12 yrs ago and an APC 10x10 and it had pretty good speed and unlimited vertical but when i got the Jett 90 LX for my Cermark F-16 last summer i had all sorts of problems with the engine below 1/4 stick throttle so i removed it from the F-16 and popped it in the old US40 because it's allot easier to dead stick while checking out the engine. 11x8 APC richened up to 14,200 on the ground was so fast nobody wanted to stand out there with it flying at them holding the radar gun so the only way to get an inclination was doing a vertical climb shooting the gun up at the tail of the bird as it climbed, from take off to a straight up climb it hit 125 - 130 mph. still never got the 1/4 stick throttle dieing fixed till i sent it back to Dub and got it reworked now it runs 2x as good as it did before and has a ton more power but i stuck it back in the F-16 and gave the US40 to a fellow club member, it had served a very useful 12 yr life to me.

kc

EDIT: attached the only pic i seam to have of the US40 w/ the Jett 90

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81574.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	619664  
Old 02-12-2007, 03:21 PM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is the hp rating on the jett 90? I cant seem to find that info on the web page.
Old 02-12-2007, 04:19 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What is the hp rating on the jett 90? I cant seem to find that info on the web page.
You won't find it. Jett does not publish HP.

[link=http://www.jettengineering.com/faq.html#faq1]Why? Click here...[/link]

Jett engines are listed with real rpm numbers with commonly available baseline props to indicate performance.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:02 PM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, I myself wandered how accurate hp readings were.

In light of this new information (which im very grateful for), I have decided to go with a Tower .75 Engine. It is the same dimensions and virtually the same weight as the Tower .61.

I'll just leave the muffler stock, because from what I have read, the stock tower .75 is consistently turning props the same or a little faster than a Rossi 60, and the tower is only $90!!

And if it's not enough power maybe I can get a few more RPMs through an aftermarket muffler. It fits the budget best so unless someone gives me a reason not to buy it that’s my choice.

Old 02-12-2007, 11:53 PM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

....................what I have read, the stock tower .75 is consistently turning props the same or a little faster than a Rossi 60........
Don't be deceived by what you've read, sometimes people tend to want to over exagarate things especialy when they are comparing what they have to what someone else has that they wished they had to start with. I've seen allot of Rossi engines and a dozen or so Tower engines perform they aren't even in the same ball park. I've seen (not read) a Rossi 53 turn 28K on a pipe w/ a reworked to 8x8 prop, i doubt you'd ever get a tower engine to even hold together at those RPM much less put out anywhere near the same power. Rossi (like Jett) are made for all out speed/power/RPM, a Tower engine is an economical sport engine. as with all aspects of life, you get what you pay for and if a TH engine would put out the same or better then a Rossi or Jett then you'd see everyone with them and everyone recommending them, unfortunatly that isn't the case.

kc
Old 02-13-2007, 12:28 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, I myself wandered how accurate hp readings were.

In light of this new information (which im very grateful for), I have decided to go with a Tower .75 Engine. It is the same dimensions and virtually the same weight as the Tower .61.

I'll just leave the muffler stock, because from what I have read, the stock tower .75 is consistently turning props the same or a little faster than a Rossi 60, and the tower is only $90!!

And if it's not enough power maybe I can get a few more RPMs through an aftermarket muffler. It fits the budget best so unless someone gives me a reason not to buy it that’s my choice.
I would like to respectfully disagree with your logic here. You have alot to learn about these glow engine basics. Now Rossi is a good engine. I don't own them mainly due to poor customer service from the distributors and dealers. My power engine of choice is Jett. You stack up your Tower 75 against a Jett of the same size and you will be in for a very rude awakening.

For example, What does a G90, OS 91fx, Magnum 91, a few others and a Jett 90 have in common? Only one thing, they are all the same size but the Jett compared to the rest is a night/day difference in performance. RPM numbers don't mean a thing

I won't own a Tower engine just because. I do believe it will pull that Ultra Sport very well with the right prop (APC) What size prop you guys suggest for this guy? 11 something?
Old 02-13-2007, 01:59 AM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I’m not trying to hide that I have a lot to learn. I’m trying to do as much of my own research as I can, but I don’t have a lot of experience.

I was never considering a jett engine, because they are much to expensive even used.

However the Rossi Engines are quite a bit cheaper. All I have to go off of is what rossi says in there manual, and that’s how I came to my decision. However, it's not all based on numbers for me.

If a tower .75 will push me to a little over 100mph I will gladly take it as this is my first speed plane. (Especially for only $90!!) It fits my price range best.

And if I find speed planes aren’t my thing, it won’t be hard finding something else to put the .75 in, and if I am overconfident with my flying skills id rather plant the tower into the ground than a Rossi.

So if im going with the .75, what prop do you guys suggest for this plane? Anything to consider other than an 11X8?

Old 02-25-2007, 12:20 PM
scriptt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok, update time.

The plane is almost complete; I broke in the motor yesterday evening. I ended up going with the Tower .75.... WOW[X(]. I think I blew my eardrums breaking it in.

I have an 11X8 prop mounted to it right now but, was thinking about switching to an 11X7 or an 11X7.5.

All there is left to do is some finishing here and there, i still need to glue the canopy and finish off some other minor details. I will try to update with pictures, and if all goes well ill upload a video of the maiden flight next weekend.

Wish me luck, im a little worried about how it will fly...

Old 02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To reach your magic 100 mph your engine will have to turn an 11"dia x 8" pitch prop somewhere close to 17,000 rpm.

A $90.00 Tower Hobbies sport engine? Not likely!

Surely you must have heard the well worn cliche "Speed costs money, exactly how fast do you want to go?"

ED S
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ed Smith

To reach your magic 100 mph your engine will have to turn an 11"dia x 8" pitch prop somewhere close to 17,000 rpm.
the ultra sport has a pretty clean airframe and you don't need that large of a buffering margin on the RPM and prop pitch equation, in theory the 11x8 @ 17K would be 128 mph, to get 100 mph out of the US40 w/ an 11x8 APC prop you only need about 14 grand on the ground RPM. my Jett 90LX was turning an 11x8 APC on the ground at a tad under 15 grand and pulled the ARF Ultra Sport 40 at 130+ , no doubt it unloaded once airborne to 17-18 thousand.

kc

EDIT: ASL and air density play a bit into that equation too