Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Morris Hobbies Diamond Dust

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Morris Hobbies Diamond Dust

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Morris Hobbies Diamond Dust

I went and took a look and sure enough, they are on the site but you better read the fine print. They are not available yet and taking "PRE-ORDER'S. With the dealings I've had with this company in relation to the B.S. he puts out, You would be better off pre-ordering from "Fusco."

I'll tell the story. It was about 9 years ago and this F-20 shown below. We had a bunch of guys with these planes and I was the latest edition but i wanted to be different. There were a couple with Jett .50's and several with YS 45. In my opinon, those two were equal in performance. So I shopped around and ended up calling Morris and this guy "Robert" suckered me into believing the MVVS .40 size Q500 was the engine for me. So I made the purchase and installed the engine.

After several flights, the plane just had no power and more like the performance of a cheap 40. many many heated calls between us took place and he claimed he had the same engine on the same plane getting 150mph. He was blaming me and would not take the engine back. I lost interest and the plane sat on the shelf for about 3 years.

Now the engine did run very well but so does a .40LA but does not have the performance to pull that size and weight of a plane like a YS or Jett would. It was only after I bought a Jett .50 off Ebay that I pulled the plane out and installed it. Sold the engine to somebody here that i think they put in a Shrike or something.

Since that time, I will have nothing to do with Robert and Morris Hobbies and will attempt to steer anybody that would listen away from him.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86872.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	616240  
Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Morris Hobbies Diamond Dust

I read the fine print. And I've read a little about Morris's business practices too... customer service does not appear to be his forte... So I'm not holding my breath just yet. But I miss my Dust, and I need a new one. If it doesn't show up, I can still use the plan, CF rods and elevons from my last one. I'm just short on time this year, so I prefer a kit.

The quality of the kit (if it arrives that is) is another thing that remains to be seen. From what I've read "wood selection" is not in that mans dictionary.

We'll see what comes of it.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:18 AM
Cyclic Hardover

I understand, $70 is not an overly big loss, just be careful with this company.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:07 AM
combatpigg

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Many years ago when Morris first got his business going, I bought the SUDOKOI / ROSSI .45 combo from Walt directly and flew it almost exclusively for 2 or 3 years. He steered me away from the MVVS, said the ROSSI was the best engine for the job. I just beat the crap out of it, what a great combo! Anyway, the engine eventually started acting funny and it turned out that the wrist pin hole in the piston was worn out, this was after hundreds of flights. I called them to get replacement parts, Walt Morris answered the phone and asked how much use I got out of the engine. I told him that I could not be any happier with the plane or the engine, that is why I think it is worth it to rebuild the engine and re-cover the plane. He sent me all the parts needed to rebuild the engine and would not take my money. Since then, I have had less than satisfactory service from his other employees, but I think that Walt Morris is a good man who started a great company.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Maybe "Walt" should start paying more attention to what his employees are doing. I don't know if "Robert" is still around but he was 99% of the problems.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

As I understand, Walt sold the company to a group from Texas. They run it now.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:50 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's odd....Robert helped me quite a bit when I started with the Rossi engines...

....I bent his ear for ages on the phone, and he was always helpful and polite

FBD.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:48 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 3 MVVS and one Rossi. I have loved every tank in all of them. The MH crew have also been helpful to me.
I think he may have known who you were CH and knew you deserved a little fair play.
Old 02-09-2007, 01:53 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Nahhh. this was before I was a nice guy when i was young and innocent
Old 02-09-2007, 03:56 PM
crasharama

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I got the same guy [:@]

before I got my Jett, I was looking around for something as a cheaper alternative. I ordered the MVVS Quickie 500 engine. After 7 weeks with it on back order, I rang them & asked & was told that they were waiting for an exhaust to turn up for it.

Another 3 weeks went by, & another phone call in the middle of the night, & was told they are still waiting for this exhaust, but I could have a Macs off the shelf that was being held for 1 of the employees. So ok I wait again........

Another couple of weeks go by, & this is it, had enough by now, told him to stick his stinking engine & cancelled the order. I had just had a look on teir website, & my order still exists there, over 2 years later

On the front pg of the website it says they are trying to drum business here in Oz, but they wont get anything with crap service like this. All the other US companies I have dealt with have had bits to me in under 2 weeks, including Nitro Junkies RB T-shirts!!!!

Tony.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:41 PM
neflyte3

I was at a Q500 race today in americus GA, and Hodgeshobbies there have 2 of the older DDust kits. I dont know much about delta's but, thought mabey you guys would like to know.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:27 PM
scoeroo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

HI PEED JUNKIES,

I HAVE A NEW IN BOX DIAMOND DUST LOOKING FOR A NEW HOME , SO IF YOU HAVE A NEW IN BOX VIPER 500 ( WHITE ) , AS I BLEW THE WING OFF MY OLD ONE , LETS MAKE A TRADE , I KNOW SOME JUNKIE OUT THERE WANTS TO GO FAST.

AS FOR MORRIS HOBBIES - I'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS

GO FAST OR GO HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-12-2007, 10:06 AM
[email protected]

I called Hodges Hobbies this morn & was told they have 2 Wild Whiz Delta kits & not the Diamond Dust kit.

Mike
Old 03-01-2007, 11:21 PM
twigster
My Feedback: (8)

i'm going to order one anyway, and see what happens... i fly with Jeff Gilbert, and he said DD is working something out with Morris, but he was kinda surprized, but not shocked when i told him it was already on the morris website. I think morris is trying to stir up some chatter about the dust being available again, and see what happens. On another note, Jeff has a Giant Dust that is going to get a gas 4 stroker! i will try to get some pics of any of the giant dusts he's got, they are AWESOME!

I wonder if anyone else out there has really big deltas... i may have to build one!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64537.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	632773  
Old 05-08-2007, 10:27 PM
med601
My Feedback: (5)

Twigster,
What engine is on your dust? I have a dust with OS 32sx and a mouse can muffler.
I bought the last DDkit from Graves rc in Orlando.
I used to fly them about 9 years ago with Don Mller friend of Jeff.
Want to put a faster engine on the new one , any suggestions?
Old 05-09-2007, 03:00 AM
KC36330

ORIGINAL: med601

.........Want to put a faster engine on the new one , any suggestions?
Jett FIRE 60LX w/ APC 8.8x8.75 Pylon prop. 160-170 mph but it doesn't matter if it's straight up, down or level.

kc

Old 05-09-2007, 10:20 AM
twigster
My Feedback: (8)

i've just got thunder tiger .36 with mousee can... still pretty quick, clocked at 120. nothing too crazy...

if you can get a thunder tiger .39 heli engine, and shave the head down, that is a wicked little guy,, very light and damn strong...

i haven't moved into the bigger engines on a dust as of yet, but i do have a clipped wing kit waiting on the bench!

i think i have heard jeff mention don miller,, i'm currently trying to help out Jeff and Diamond Dust by getting the website back in action...
should be up in a week or so...i'll keep you guys in the loop....