Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Jett 90 w/tuned pipe on a shrike 40?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Jett 90 w/tuned pipe on a shrike 40?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2007, 08:19 AM
rcmaster-RCU
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jett 90 w/tuned pipe on a shrike 40?

I am building it, but I am not sure if its really going to work. Anybody tried this or tips or suggestions. I plan to build in some mods to handle the extra stress. Anybody have an idea how fast it might go?
Old 02-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jett 90 w/tuned pipe on a shrike 40?

Not knocking the Jett here since Ihave two of them but seems like you want serious speed here. Get a DF engine.
Old 02-06-2007, 11:14 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Ive never seen a Shrike 40 with any more than a FIRE-50 or 60LX on it.... those are darn fast enough

Spars, firewall, fins ----- anthing you could think of reinforcing - you will have to do it. Id sheet the entire wing too.

Signficant engine weight increase over the 'small block' engines.

Other problem ----- keep in mind you will be burning a bit less than 2 oz per minute on fuel at full throttle.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:46 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't ask me to maiden that thing [X(]
Old 02-06-2007, 12:54 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Pick me! Pick me! Mine has a simple 46pro with an ultrathrust muffler and it keeps me awake
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15896.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	615081  
Old 02-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Flyboy Dave

Pick Cyclic !!!

Old 02-06-2007, 01:28 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

RCMASTER:

Listen to CH here, very good advice for serious speed at a relative lower cost. If you want to stay with the smaller light engines, go with the Jett Q-500 or similar 40 that will give you 22K rpm plus as a standard. Like everything when you are talking speed, there are complications, trade offs and other limiting factors that all spell $$$$. The weight and rear carb of a vrdf engine does add some minor complications that you can need to consider in the project. Right off, you need to find some correct cf props that will hold up to the rpm's. Nothing like having a engine running 24k and spitting off a blade. If in the air, the engine and airframe are simply toast. If on the engine stand, the distruction of stand, engine and surrounds are scary. The prop at higher rpms will go supersonic at some point and must be tough to stand the stress. Recent posted pics on the rcu web site of jets going through the sound barrier give us a clue of the forces acting on the prop tip as it passes into supersonic speeds. If you are standing to the side of one of these things when they blow, I doubt if safety glasses will be much help. Weight becomes a factor to allso consider. The German speed guys seem to like the ops 61 which weighs in at a porkey 1.11.1 oz, the OS 91VRDF 1.13.0 vs jett 60 LX at 13.3 oz, weights just taken with the engines in the box and should be considered as approximates. Getting a DD to CG correctly with a OPS or OS will be a challange. With a Jett or Nelson up front, you can buy the prop over the counter and go scary fast at a relatively low cost. The guys in europe that hold the speed records build their engines, props and airframes and live for speed. Workmanship is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!! Do not ask one of their speed planes to turn left around a pylon, turning is not much of a consideration within their intended designs. Speed is a full time learning and experimentation studdy for most. Guys like myself who grab their foamy and go out to the back yard for some 3D practice and then once or twice a month, grab a racer and go out and try to go fast and turn left will seldom be a challange. There is just so much in our sport to ENJOY.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:17 PM
rcmaster-RCU

I got the engine and pipe for free and thought the shrike would be easy, cheap, and stupid fast with that jett 90. Just something fun to play with, nothing real serious or expensive, although I am taking the construction serious as not to cause a danger hazard.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:47 PM
bob27s

In that case, you would be better off digging up one of the older .61 size pattern ships and really having some fun with it Wing loading will be a bit more reasonable.

Take a look in the classic pattern forum for some ideas.

Or, since there is some re-design required anyway - perhaps scale up a Shrike - there is not too much to it, and build a "60" size version
Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rcmaster-RCU

I got the engine and pipe for free and thought the shrike would be easy, cheap, and stupid fast with that jett 90. Just something fun to play with, nothing real serious or expensive, although I am taking the construction serious as not to cause a danger hazard.
I say go for it. Attached is a Shrike 40 set up for a 60 size engine. It is not my plane but the owner says it is fast and flies well. Move the firewall back along with everything else you can so it will balance. My Shrike has an 8 oz tank with plenty of room left over so a 10 oz should fit. I extended the hatch back so the batt. would go in the very rear of the plane. I think the Shrike 40 built per the instructions will work fine for strength if the builder is good. However the tail section could use a little beefing up. The two common complaints I have heard abut the Shrike is nose heavy and aileron flutter. You do not need the long ailerons so I would shorten them and do not over bevel while sanding. The leading edge of the aileron should be at least as thick as the trailing edge of the wing with tight linkage a must. A 9" to 10" prop with a lot of pitch should work. Those are my thoughts
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63706.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	615321  
Old 02-06-2007, 08:57 PM
freakingfast

I agree with what Cyclic said before and says next.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:04 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I don't know how this comment will go over but with these Shrikes or DD's, You could install a POS GMS and it will be impressive. Not that the engine is any great prize but the plane is. Why don't you try a cheapie and see if you like it. Then go for the gold.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:38 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Now that I think of it, the Shrike is a screamer for improvements. The fuselage is dirty and the wings are too thick.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Flyboy Dave

This might be hot with the Jett 90.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/usuairfoniga.html
Old 02-06-2007, 10:18 PM
Troy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

I flew one of the Shrike .15-.20 size airframes with a nice .46 in it and it was smoking fast... but the owner/builder had to mod the ailerons due to flutter. I'd expect you'd have to do quite a few mods to the airframe to handle the stress and dynamics of speed with a .90. Please video
Old 02-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Flyboy Dave

Those ailerons that mount straight across like that are a flutter just waiting for enough
speed to happen. Tapering them out to the wingtips will help, shortening them will help
too as well as a barn door end at the wingtip.

FBD.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:53 AM
rcmaster-RCU

Flyboy Dave,

What do you mean by a barn door end by the wing tip? Do you mean like an offset balancer like on 3D aircrafts's rudder and elevator?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Mike Connor

I say go for it. Attached is a Shrike 40 set up for a 60 size engine. It is not my plane but the owner says it is fast and flies well. Move the firewall back along with everything else you can so it will balance. My Shrike has an 8 oz tank with plenty of room left over so a 10 oz should fit. I extended the hatch back so the batt. would go in the very rear of the plane. I think the Shrike 40 built per the instructions will work fine for strength if the builder is good. However the tail section could use a little beefing up. The two common complaints I have heard abut the Shrike is nose heavy and aileron flutter. You do not need the long ailerons so I would shorten them and do not over bevel while sanding. The leading edge of the aileron should be at least as thick as the trailing edge of the wing with tight linkage a must. A 9" to 10" prop with a lot of pitch should work. Those are my thoughts
I forgot about that one Mike.... I guess it does not look that unreasonable. The long pipe might even help with the CG.

As long as you use due care in building it .... it would be a lot of fun The FIRE 90 loves the 10x10 size props, that would probably be the way to go there.

This little plane (below) is still one of the favorite projects Ive seen folks build for the FIRE 90 size engine....

If I were going to to build something from scratch, just for sport-speed - id build something that looks sorta like this beast. Maybe try to cowl the engine in a bit more.... but for sport and looks - this is rather sporty looking.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Troy-RCU

Flyboy Dave,

What do you mean by a barn door end by the wing tip? Do you mean like an offset balancer like on 3D aircrafts's rudder and elevator?
This is a barn door aileron looking from the top of the wing.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
MJD

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bob27s

If I were going to to build something from scratch, just for sport-speed - id build something that looks sorta like this beast. Maybe try to cowl the engine in a bit more.... but for sport and looks - this is rather sporty looking.
Cool, that is a bit compact for a .90 isn't it! Wonder how much tail weight that needed. Not that there isn't enough power to deal with it.. sheesh!
Old 02-08-2007, 12:41 PM
mmattockx

ORIGINAL: Troy-RCU

Flyboy Dave,

This is a barn door aileron looking from the top of the wing.
Leaving a couple inches at the tip fixed to the wing (so that the moveable aileron portion does not go all the way out) also helps with flutter problems. Given the speed you are looking for, smaller ailerons set inboard a bit should be no problem at all... Look at how Q500's do their ailerons for ideas on what is required.

Mark
Old 02-11-2007, 09:17 AM
buzzingb
My Feedback: (2)

RCMaster, the Shrike will balance with the 90 with little or no lead, if you plan it out to start with. Put the battery in the wedge part at the very rear of the fuse, make a screw on hatch there. Shorten the nose by about an inch and reinforce firewall. Use plenty of glue and reinforce critical areas where it is practical and necessary, don't go crazy here. I would also round the aileron ends and thin them down some, might even give just a little more taper to the end to take care of and concern over flutter. Use spruce or popular wing spars, I use popular often, not enoug weith difference to worry over and they can easily be cut from stock you buy at Home Depot or Lowes on a table saw.You will be fine despite the skeptics here.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:42 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: bob27s

This little plane (below) is still one of the favorite projects Ive seen folks build for the FIRE 90 size engine....

What is that little plane Bob?
Old 02-11-2007, 09:47 AM
bob27s

fun little scratch built design... he called it the Turbine Terminator