Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

diesel engines for speed?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

diesel engines for speed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel engines for speed?

Has anyone attempt useing diesel engines for speed planes?
Never seen a post on diesel engines for speed so lets see what yall come up with.

What is the company that sells the diesel conversions for the 40 sized engines?
I see it all the time in the AMA mag.
I bet you could put out some power with a tuned hedder and pipe. But i guess diesel is mainly for torque.

Kevin
Old 02-08-2007, 08:00 PM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: diesel engines for speed?

Davis Diesel is the company your thinking about. http://www.davisdieseldevelopment.com/home.htm
Yes the diesels may make more power but, it's at a lower RPM, thats not what we need on a speed plane.
They run longer but at $24 a gallon I'll pass.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

$24 a gallon? where does it cost that much? It is $2.20 here in Texas?
Old 02-09-2007, 12:48 AM
freakingfast
My Feedback: (3)

Uhhh, Diesel model engine fuel, don't put this in your truck's tank.....Yahoooo...KA-BOOM!
But you knew this, your just pulling my leg, right?
Old 02-09-2007, 03:34 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: freakingfast
Yes the diesels may make more power but, it's at a lower RPM, thats not what we need on a speed plane.
I've seen a few of the old K&B and OS ducted fan engines converted to the diesel head and they turned up just as many RPM as they did (if not more) and the advantage being they ran allot cooler. if you've owned the OS 91-VR you quickly learn they run DANG hot and i know there were times I'd of loved to have had one of the Davis heads to try out on it. speed isn't just about RPM.........if you take the same engine, convert it to a diesel and then use a much higher pitched prop at the same RPM, you'll gain speed more efficiently then the same pitch at more RPMs

kc

Old 02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Well I know some of the Mvvs smaller engines that are diesel turn up 24,000rpm. There little .15 does. here is a link to the Mvvs site. On the left colum, click diesel engines.

http://mvvs.nl/

I mean you can get higher rpm. Its all depends on the timing of the engine{ timed for lower rpms for bigger prop, or timed for higher for rpms}.

Kevin
Old 02-09-2007, 11:44 AM
SSGSPEEDMAN

HA!!! That would be funny to see like a Q500 Nelson engine converted to diesel.
I bet noone has ever done that. Yah, you could turn the 8.8x9.5w pretty good with if diesel converted. But thats just and idea.

Kevin

Old 02-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The "race officials" are going to have the time of their lives when you show up with a diesel Nelson... And anyway, you're supposed to run the fuel supplied at the race...
Old 02-09-2007, 01:19 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

SSGSPEEDMAN:

Usually when you try to re-invent the wheel it comes out square. Usually the best way to go is take what is the fastest design of airframe and engine out there and improve on it. The guys on the other side of the pond are running in the 250 mph range with some strage power plants, none desiel. To get a .15 motor to turn 24k is no big deal. To get a 60 or 90 to turn 24k takes some doing. Apparently we have the best Jett and Nelsons turning over 30k as opposted to say a OS that huffs and puffs at 14500. It is possible for someone like ourselves to come up with something to improve the current state of the art in hi reving engines, but not likely. Two teen agers came up with the pressure tank for speed in about 1949 by simply observing a McCoy rear plate kicking out bubbles. After drilling a lot of holes and buying many rear plates, they came up with something close to current design and took the speed Nationals with it by a few mph. No big jump. They did not hide their design, so the following year there were a lot of pressure tank systems that the true speed merchants copied and improved upon. I am told that the guys on the East Coast came up with the approach about the same time. Same for retracts. I was flying home made retracts here on the West coast at about the same time one or more guys on the East coast had come up with the near same design, according to another old fart from that side of the country. The design along with a home made pattern design took first place on 6-12-71 at the CMM Gold Rush inveitational in Sacramento Ca. after several years of trial and error development and assistance from aerospace engineers at Sistrondonnar. All three retracts were run off one Pro-line servo putting out 25 oz, maby, seldom failed to work. I am just trying to say that with some insite the average guy with average abilities can and will come up with something new and good, so, give it a go.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:08 PM
colbourne

To get an idea of speed possible with diesel engines , look at control line where diesel engine speed records are recorded.
Probably not competitve in larger size models with glow but should be well up there in small size (under .15 ci)