Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)
View Poll Results: A poll
100% Synthetic
0%
Synthetic blend
0%
All caster
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Fuel

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:23 PM
nitro junky
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel

what is the best fuel to run? Why
Old 03-11-2007, 08:08 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fuel

The poll don't work... blend is best, has the synth for high heat loads and the castor to back it up....
Old 03-11-2007, 10:38 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Hay Junkie:
Two of the persons I trust most in the world about engines, Dub Jett and Clarance Lee has the same response to your question. Use a good quality fuel with at or near 20% oil of which is synthitic-castor blend. Jett goes as far as saying "PowerMaster". Go to www.jettengineering.com and read engine break-in procedures. You will be supprised as to how Jett recommends a quality high rpm engine be broken in, wide frigging open at a rich start. I thind Dave Schadel of Nelson fame is also a advicate of this procedure. The info at Jett engineering is well worth the reading time, and yess, I am a big Jett fan, wish I found him years ago.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
mmattockx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Hay Junkie:
Go to www.jettengineering.com and read engine break-in procedures. You will be supprised as to how Jett recommends a quality high rpm engine be broken in, wide frigging open at a rich start. I thind Dave Schadel of Nelson fame is also a advicate of this procedure. The info at Jett engineering is well worth the reading time, and yess, I am a big Jett fan, wish I found him years ago.
This what Bob Brassell also told me for my TT 36Pro. Mount it on a test stand, put a light load prop on it (APC 8x6 in my case), start it up, peak it and back off 3-400rpm. Let it scream at this rpm for 3 tanks or so. Then set the low end and check the transition. Then go fly it.

Mark
Old 03-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on the engine.

For normal sport 2 and 4 stroke engines: all synthetic
For very high performance engines, I would say all castor: the synthetic I use seems to keep its viscosity better at high temperatures as opposed to castor. This is great for protection, but it is also a source of drag... and it will slow the engine down.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:23 AM
HaveBlue

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Hay Junkie:
Two of the persons I trust most in the world about engines, Dub Jett and Clarance Lee has the same response to your question. Use a good quality fuel with at or near 20% oil of which is synthitic-castor blend. Jett goes as far as saying "PowerMaster". Go to www.jettengineering.com and read engine break-in procedures. You will be supprised as to how Jett recommends a quality high rpm engine be broken in, wide frigging open at a rich start. I thind Dave Schadel of Nelson fame is also a advicate of this procedure. The info at Jett engineering is well worth the reading time, and yess, I am a big Jett fan, wish I found him years ago.
the reason for this wide open throttle , breakin in, is for a reason...these are true abc/aac contructed engines with a very tight fit usually.
Here it is extremely important to get the engine to full operating temperture ( full expansion of metals). Trying to run these engines in a slow rich rpm allows for to much cooling and hence ramming and yanking the piston into the top of the liner is causing that tiny little rod huge stress...rod failure is a common problem due to incorrect running in, in these type of engines

a ringed engine will benefit more with a slower, and in some cases, extremely rich breakin

but my answer to nitro junky is ..what ever works best with your engine within the recommendations of the manufacturer...I have always been a castor user and only since buying Jetts have I dared to use synthetics..and even then it was hestitantly.. but what it boiled down tois, now days, technology( better materials used in most engines) and better synthetics.. todays engines dont need 20 % pure castor like those of 20 years ago( was that the mehanite pistons?)

and as for nitro content .. that to depends what works best with your engine. My ST works best with 5% even though it's reccomended for up to 15%. My Jetts get 15% because thats what been recommended by Bob and the supplied instructions

The only other KEY factor is quality of fuel ..as long as it's a quality blend/company you shouldn't have anything to worry about
Old 03-12-2007, 05:02 AM
crasharama

Yep like most the guys here,

I have always broken mine in the same way as Dub calls out for, & use a blend of Synth & castor.

Tony.