Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Got me a new go fast airplane on the way!

Old 03-18-2007, 03:33 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Got me a new go fast airplane on the way!

Placed the order last week! Harold said he should have the bird all ready for me by the end of April, he's got a bunch of orders in place ahead of mine but no big deal for me, I'm not racing, just a go fast plane to keep the thumbs sharp for jets!
Harold is installing the firewall in the plane for me with my mount and is painting it white in the mold so I can do some airbrush work on it.
Power will be of course a Nelson QM-40 engine, all JR servo's etc.
I would also like to say that Harold is great to deal with. He is also the FIRST airplane manufacture I've talked to who asked me to be absolutely honest in the quality of his airplane when I receive it. He knows I've built some very high end models and expect the quality to be top drawer. From what I've heard about his kits, and the way he talks about them, I have ever confidence that I'll be happy!
Can't wait!!!!

http://www.hmracinginc.com/product.php?id=53

Old 03-18-2007, 05:54 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Got me a new go fast airplane on the way!

That's a Vendetta isn't it? [8D]
Or a Dago Red?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:16 PM
AlW
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Jeremy,
Harold Sattler builds a quality airplane- I have flown and competed with some of his stuff and he is a great guy to deal with. Tell him hello from me the next time you talk with him.
What Q-40 Nelson are you going to get? There is a new Long Stroke Nelson just released so this would be a good time to pick up one of the older versions - all of the serious pylon guys will be switching to the new motor and there should be plenty of good deals going.
Al Watson
Old 03-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's a Vendetta isn't it?
Or a Dago Red?

The airplane is the "Miss Candace" by H&M Racing, it is a Q40 Pylon racer.

Go here for the servo tray and tail installation details. It is a precise procedure.

http://www.rcpro.org/net/ThreadView.aspx?threadid=391

Sign in as a guest

Scroll down to "Building"

Then scroll to "Q40 servo Tray Installation.

Ed S

P.S. sometimes the article comes right up.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:31 PM
LGM Graphix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: AlW

Hi Jeremy,
Harold Sattler builds a quality airplane- I have flown and competed with some of his stuff and he is a great guy to deal with. Tell him hello from me the next time you talk with him.
What Q-40 Nelson are you going to get? There is a new Long Stroke Nelson just released so this would be a good time to pick up one of the older versions - all of the serious pylon guys will be switching to the new motor and there should be plenty of good deals going.
Al Watson

Hi Al,
I've already got a Nelson 40, bought it a year ago, got a vendetta as well but it will be faster to wait for the miss candace and build it than the vendetta.
Hey Ed, thank's for the link, going there now to look
Old 03-19-2007, 02:25 AM
proptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I knew it was a Q40...saw the "belly scoop" bump on the bottom and thought it was/is supposed to be P-51-ish like the Dago Red...(guess I had temp. forgotten about the Miss Candace)

Ed, what's the one (2 tone blue) you have a pic of over in the pylon forum? (Proud Bird?)
That's a beauty![8D]

Don't know if this is the right place to ask, but...what is the durability of the fiberglass skin hinges? How many cycles, or about how many seasons or flights before fatigue failures start happening...or isn't that really a factor?
Old 03-19-2007, 11:48 AM
LGM Graphix

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Proptop,
My BVM kingcat has well over 100 flights with skin hinges between me and it's previous owner, and I know of Kingcats out there with over 1000 flights with skin hinges (fiberglass). I wondered about them myself when I first saw them, the only ones I would have ever questioned were the Whiplash's skin hinges only because they were SO thick and stiff. There is a different type of fiberglass in the hinge line I believe, one with some sort of a fiberglass tow rather than just cloth.
The biggest part I found to having long lasting smooth moving skin hinges is to not allow the paint to build up really heavy on the hinge line when you spray it.
Most of those kingcat flights are at Q40 speeds or faster (200+mph) and that's with a much bigger surface and load than a Q40 surface is likely to see.
Al Watson would be a really good guy to question about it, he's flown his Kingcat ton's of times and always at high speed, I'm sure he's pushing 200 with it most of the time.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The planes tend to go before the hinges

I've never worn out skin hinges on a q40. Plus your not talking a lot of movement on a q40, not a lot of stress there.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:26 PM
proptop

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks very much sir(s)

A friend and I have been experimenting with foam cutting and I want to try my hand at cutting some thin (say around 9%) wing cores. I was kind of figuring on using skin hinges but was also wondering of their durability/longevity...not worrying any more...thanks [sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 03-19-2007, 02:10 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The trick with skin hinges is balancing the amount of glass you use for the hinge. If you use too much, its too stiff, if you don't use enough, it will move, but probably not last.

Make sure you cut the glass on the bias for the hinge line. If the weave runs the same direction as the hinge, it will slowly crack and fail.

personally, I like to use .010 thick fiberglass sheet embedded into the wing as my hinge. You can get it at ACP.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:48 PM
Ed Smith

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ed, what's the one (2 tone blue) you have a pic of over in the pylon forum? (Proud Bird?)
That's a beauty!
It is one of Harolds, (H&M Racing) earlier products. It is the "Loki". It is no longer in production.

Ed S