Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

in need of an airframe

Old 03-19-2007, 09:50 PM
BigBadJon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default in need of an airframe

ok. i need some ideas on airframes. the power plant is a rossi 53 with a UT Pylon muffler.
could a viper,sonic,predator handle that?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:04 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: in need of an airframe

Yes, any of those can handle that engine.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:23 PM
BigBadJon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just the answer i was looking for. the Sonic being one of my most favorite planes lol.
any other ideas for airframe ideas?

thanks for info daven.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:49 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BigBadJon

just the answer i was looking for. the Sonic being one of my most favorite planes lol.
any other ideas for airframe ideas?

thanks for info daven.
You could stuff it in a MagnumR, but the Quickie models mentioned are better aircraft and really are just as fast, plus they all-round fly better, turn well and have landing gear. Or the rifle, but I don't know anyhting first-hand about it other than it is somewhat Magnum-ish. IMHO in terms of bang for the buck it's tough to do better than a Q500.

Then there's the usual suspects: Diamond Dust, Phenom (nice delta), Whiplash if you can find one.

Other more exotic airframes are of course possible, like a Matney Zoomer or the like, just add money!

Old 03-20-2007, 05:23 PM
BigBadJon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

going with a sonic 500. due to the fact i can get that on the way home and dont have to wait for it to come in the mail. lol
will keep ya updated on the build and hopefully make the maiden my first video recorded flight.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:32 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

BBJ, Where were you last saturday?
You could have seen everything cept the Sonic fly. I really like the Magnum aside from the hand launch. IMHO it may be a bit faster than a Q500 airframe. You won't be disappointed with the Viper or Pred. Bob and Dave usually recomend doing some basic reinforcements to the front for the crazy motor jobs.[8D]
Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 PM
BigBadJon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ended up in bakersfield at the last moment for work.. was hoping to get out there sunday but never made it. will for sure make the next trip if anyone has plans to head that way?

ya gonna do some reinforcement work on the fuse and main wing. lol flying buddies tell me its to hardcore to even attempt a sonic with that engine setup. even the guy at the hobby store suggested i go with S.A excelleron? lol
Old 03-20-2007, 10:39 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I suppose I have nothing new to offer after these fine gentlemen have posted. The Rossi-53 (I love Rossi's) is a bit heavy for the Magnum and would be difficult to shoehorn in there but the Predator, Viper, Sonic (Scat-Cat) can handle the Rossi. Just use some triangle stock behind the firewall and coat the area with thinned out epoxy for a buit of strength and fuel-proofedness (not a word but hey)

It sounds like you have made up your mind but for what it is worth the Rifle (Angel's custom speedster) uses pylon style landing gear and it is shaped similarly to the Magnum and you can choose standard or V-Tail versions. I will be running my West-50 in my Rifle and hope to be underway here shortly.

I dunno why folks care about hand launching an airplane- It is generally pretty easy (after maiden ) to launch them and they are slick with no gear.

Keep us posted Big Bad Guy!
Old 03-21-2007, 06:15 AM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Razor,
Is the Rifle wing as thin as the Magnum?
Old 03-21-2007, 09:12 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

I dunno why folks care about hand launching an airplane- It is generally pretty easy (after maiden ) to launch them and they are slick with no gear.

Keep us posted Big Bad Guy!
Hand launching doesn't scare me, but belly landing with the prop stuck on compression does.. despite my efforts at locating the prop here-and-there it still ends up in a dumb location sometimes when I shut down the engine on my Magnum. Coupled with the landing speed it has caused some aggravation. But, draggy landing gear would irritate me too so you gotta take the lumps with the gravy. The second last time I was out the prop stuck just short of TDC and snagged on the grass, resulting in an endo and torn wing mount. Took all of 10 minutes to fix but it was still a PITA at the time.

The Magnum is somewhat fun to fly, and indeed is fairly quick, but even if a Q500 is a hair slower I think the superior all around flying qualities make it them a more entertaining + affordable "I wanna go fast and have fun" aircraft for similar size engines. Yeah the Magnum looks swoopy and all that but that means the square root of diddly-squat at these airspeeds.

MJD
Old 03-21-2007, 10:26 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

MJD- Agree to disagree. Q-500's bore me... I do not pylon race nor will I ever so I don't care about yank and bank- I like the look of the "Propjets".

Vic- I do not have my Rifle yet but I will do a comparison when it is recv'd
Old 03-21-2007, 02:54 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

MJD- Agree to disagree. Q-500's bore me... I do not pylon race nor will I ever so I don't care about yank and bank- I like the look of the "Propjets".
No argument from me! If looks factor importantly in the equation then for sure. I was speaking pretty much just from the functional standpoint.

MJD
Old 03-21-2007, 09:43 PM
vicman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I like the Magnum simply for the cool whistle. I like fast stuff so weather it's a quickie or an F-20 I dig it. PJs are my fav tho.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:09 PM
BigBadJon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I started the the sonic build for my new rossi. and also as backup im putting another f20 together incase the sonic goes wrong heh.
even though it has a pylon muffler. it should still work ok in the sonic with a 9x8 prop im guessing.will make my 3rd current f20. all still fuctional lol. so at next revvers ill have enough f20s for us to tear it up!