Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

help with west 50 v1

Old 03-21-2007, 06:04 PM
zero-cool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default help with west 50 v1

I have a magnum with the west 50 and pipe.will this motor really turn a 8/10 prop?if so at what rpm and how much do i cut of the hedder.im new at the speed planes.i had a dd.with a jett fire 50 last summer.flew it about 25 times made one dumb mistake and killed it.i lost everthing.so i got a magnum.now jett tuned my engine for me.so if anybody has a magnum with a west 50 i want to know how to make this plane go as fast as it can
Old 03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Xardas26

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: help with west 50 v1

check out
http://www.westonuk.co.uk/index_133.htm

Recommended APC props:-
9x6, 9x7 This will allow you to get used to the flying characteristics of the Magnumr with easy launching capabilities.
8x8 This is the most common prop used on the MagnumR with good high speed flight and intermediate launching capabilities. If you require more performance on this prop we recommend you shorten the manifold by 1/2" and the tuned pipe by 1/2" This is only for the 8x8 prop
8x9, 8x10 This is used for maximum speed that the MagnumR is capable of but does require a good launch as the engine does not produce the same amount of static thrust.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:26 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The 8x9 sorta works... but I liked the 8x8 best. Let the engine scream: that's what it likes. Stay away from the 8x10.
A cut down APC Q500 prop works too... these are better suited for high rpm operation than the sport props.

Dig out your tach to set the pipe length. Cut 1/4" at a time, and measure each time until rpm stops increasing. Remember that changing props means re-setting the pipe if you are at peak performance.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:09 AM
zero-cool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do i lean it out all the way on the ground with an 8x8 then tach it? what rpm should it be on the ground?also do i cut down the hedder and the pipe both?or just one of them.with my jett if i leaned it out more than 17,500 on the ground in the air my plug would fry quick.and i dont like thoes apc sport props there bulky.what size pylon prop should i use for top speed
Old 03-22-2007, 10:23 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: zero-cool

do i lean it out all the way on the ground with an 8x8 then tach it? what rpm should it be on the ground?also do i cut down the hedder and the pipe both?or just one of them.with my jett if i leaned it out more than 17,500 on the ground in the air my plug would fry quick.and i dont like thoes apc sport props there bulky.what size pylon prop should i use for top speed
Weston UK's recommendations in the instructions are as follows:

8-10 stock length
8-9 about 1/2" off
8-8 up to 1" off

The 8-10 is a bit dicey, hand launches can be a challenge, and I am not convinced anyone has seen improved performance with those over the others turning higher rpms. The Magnum is pretty limited by drag with that pipe hanging out there in the breeze, the thick flat tail surfaces etc. It is not a 200mph airplane, despite Weston claiming their factory team hits 240 with them. Kph maybe, but he said mph. Anyone I've talked to says use the 8 or 9 inch pitch and forget the 10. I have run the 8 and 9 back to back only once. I believe I saw a hair more top speed with the 8-9 than the 8-8 - however that probably has more to do with the pipe length than the props as that time I was running stock which is too short for the 8-8, no question. I too like the 8-8 best so far with the trimmed header.

Pylon props? You'll want to clip them a bit - try 8.75 dia clipped to 8.00-8.25, experiment with pitches in the 8-9 inch range. I have exactly the same job ahead of me as you regarding pylon props, but up here it ain't exactly airplane weather so until it warms up I have no numbers on the pylon props more specific than this. Bought a pile of pylon props for my Magnum late last fall.

The rpm it should be on the ground is peak rpm minus 600-700. Do it that way rather than looking for a specific number. If it is rich in the air then back out 100 less next time, but be careful. Take it to peak briefly then back out for flight. On an 8-8 you should see 20k+, but the header really should be trimmed for that prop. Are you using a bubble-free tank or a regular clunk tank? I use a Jett bubblefree tank on mine and I love it.

Trimming the straight section of the header or pipe accomplishes the same thing. I trimmed the header, you can trim 1/2 off each as suggested too, whatever. Either way you are manipulating the distance from the cylinder to the fattest part of the pipe without messing with any tapered portions of the pipe which you don't wanna do.

Old 03-22-2007, 12:04 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Plugs will make a big difference as well, on my West50's I ran the OS R5 plugs (car plugs). With an 8x8 and 15% nitro I was running 22,000 regularly, on a really good day I'd get almost 24,000. That seems to be the exception rather than the rule, I had a second west 50 that wouldn't run quite that good but would still give me 20,000 average.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:55 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Plugs will make a big difference as well, on my West50's I ran the OS R5 plugs (car plugs). With an 8x8 and 15% nitro I was running 22,000 regularly, on a really good day I'd get almost 24,000. That seems to be the exception rather than the rule, I had a second west 50 that wouldn't run quite that good but would still give me 20,000 average.
Wow, that's up there for sure. Did you ever run one plug against the other back to back in the same engine and note the difference? Just curious.

MJD
Old 03-22-2007, 03:05 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

22K Candian...hmmm, what is that in US?
Old 03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried running some ducted fan plugs, ran a couple sport short plugs one day when I blew my last R5 but it lost enough RPM that at my altitude it was almost impossible to launch. I don't have numbers on the plugs, but I would guess the R5 was giving me another 1000 rpm over the next best which was the McCoy ducted fan plug that BVM used to sell (don't know a number, just had a slew of them from my ducted fan stuff) The downside to the R5's is they're expensive plugs, I never had great plug life from the West 50 either, the R5's lasted about the best of them all from what I found as well.

ORIGINAL: MJD

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

Wow, that's up there for sure. Did you ever run one plug against the other back to back in the same engine and note the difference? Just curious.

MJD
Old 03-23-2007, 03:30 AM
zero-cool

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for all your help MJD
Old 03-23-2007, 08:28 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ZERO,

My buddy had the UK Magnum WEST 50 & pipe. He flew it with an 8x8 APC, Aluminum spinner, 15% nitro fuel. It turned about 20,500 to 21,000 on the ground. It was fast! Rx failure put it thru the trees at WOT debris field was 70 yards long...not much to recover... did not find the Rx battery but did get the shrink wrap that was on the battery.

My UK Magnum has a Jett Sport 50 with a 8.8 x 8.5 APC.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:13 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The next step beyond changing plugs all the time is to lower compression or nitro content, you can actually see a gain if being overly compressed is the problem.