Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weight of Toni, Minnow, etc.?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weight of Toni, Minnow, etc.?

Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weight of Toni, Minnow, etc.?

Greetings, gents. I was wondering if those of you who have the Great Planes Little Toni or Minnow, World Models Midget Mustang, or similar .60-.90 size F1 models would be willing to share the finished weight of your birds?

Reason: The new F1 Sport rules (event 421) went into the AMA rule book 01/01/07 with a 7.5-pound minimum weight specified. This figure was based on prior experience with the Great Planes Shoestring. The Shoestring is a light, built-up airframe with MonoKote covering, and actually a little bit smaller than the 750 sq. in. required by the rules. (It's "grandfathered in", along with the WM Midget Mustang.) However, the newer models have a full 750 squares of wing, plus fiberglass fuses.

The intent of F1 Sport was to allow ARFs to compete, but also to encourage future designs that meet the formula using standard materials and techniques such as the familiar fiberglass fuselage/foam-core wing "semi-kits" that have been around since the 1970s.

If the minimum weight is too low, it means that the ARFs and glass/foam designs won't last long against expensive, ultralight CF and hollow-molded stuff that may come along later. That is definitely not a desirable outcome for a low-key sport event like this. So I'm considering putting in a rule proposal to raise the minimum a little bit, say to 8 pounds, before the cat gets out of the bag. To pick the right number, it would be nice to have some real-world input from actual owners of these airplanes.

So, what does yours actually weigh? Thanks in advance for your help.

Duane Gall
RCPRO

p.s. Of course, a photo would be great, too! [sm=cool.gif]
Old 03-20-2007, 12:21 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weight of Toni, Minnow, etc.?

I have the Toni with an Evo 100 that I can weigh tonite with my digi scale. Will let you know.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

DHG:

In the same group of available arf's you are talking about, the Alley Cat, with Jett 90L, standard servos weghs in at 6.3lbs. The GP Toni, Shoestrilng are a tad heavier, but not enough to talk about. Have had all 3, they are all decent sposts flyers, got the LT to hover (a shock). They are all power hungry, with a Jett 90, expect 110-120 at best. They are just toooo dragy up front. I perfer the Alley Cat above the others, is a tad faster than the LT or Shoestring, but not by much. A good LT pilot can win over the AC, equal pilots, the AC will take the money home. If you go for a Jett 90, be sure to buy the LX version, more r's and stronger. A bud and I had a fly off with identical Jett 90L's, the AC had around 5mph on the LT down the streight giving enough advantage to a sneaky old man, but not by much. I think this would be a real fun class for a club and or area group. The engine guys will win, but thats how it is in all pylon racing. At least you are on equal airframe grounds. ENJOY
Old 03-21-2007, 01:01 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Just third hand data here... but folks tell me the Toni and Minnow build to around 8 lbs with the Jett installation. Hitting 7.5 is darn difficult.

Kyosho's new Kelly and the Cermark Alley Cat are too small, about 550sq wings, weight about 6-6.5 lbs, but perhaps these rules may inspire them to build a bigger version
Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob, rmenke,

Thanks. guys.

Anybody else?

D.

p.s. rmenke -- the "drag up front" on the Toni and Minnow is based on the F1 Sport rules, and was put there on purpose. The airframe was designed to soak up more power the faster you go, so small improvements in engine output and propeller efficiency don't allow one contestant to walk away from everybody else. Think of the cheek cowls as drag brakes. They keep the head-to-head racing close and exciting, like in this video (middle segment): http://www.mtrcs.com/videos/mcc.wmv