Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

QM-40 arf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 04:16 AM
zero-cool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QM-40 arf?

does anyone know of a qm-40 arf that dosent cost an arm or a leg.i dont want to spend 600$ on the airframe.but i guess the more money u have the faster u can go.i have a magnum and had a dd with a jett fire 50.not sure if i was hittin 200mph but it was quick.what is the fastest airframe out there.besides the dd/whip?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:41 AM
crasharama

Default RE: QM-40 arf?

Hi Zero-Cool

The new QM-40 sport rules will bring on a few different designs as the rules are meant to keep the cost down. The composites aren't being allowed in this class, so some of these could be easily built as fast sport models too.

A model that has been around for a while is the Matney Models AJ-2, you still have to build it, but it is in the ball park as far as cost. If 1 of the pylon boys see this they could give you a better insight as to what models will be used for the new rules.

Tony.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

There are no inexpensive Q40 ARFS out there that I am aware of. There use to be a plane called an F3D sold by Kankge that looked similar and was inexpensive, although it has been discontinued for a couple years now. Occasionally they go up for sale here and at E.by, so keep your eyes open.

The Q40 sport rules are just that, rules. I'm not aware of anyone holding one of these races, and honestly just don't think it will happen.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:45 PM
DHG
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: daven

The Q40 sport rules are just that, rules. I'm not aware of anyone holding one of these races, and honestly just don't think it will happen.
Dave,

Never say never! There are rumblings in CAPS land (Ohio/Michigan/Indiana), and the pieces are lying there for anyone to pick up and use if they want -- just stick an Event 424 engine in an Event 422 airframe. In fact, you could fly any of the old F1 models like the Prather Little Toni if you built it light. They're just slightly larger than a regulation Q40. You'd probably lose a little speed in the straightaways and gain it back in the turns because of the bigger wing.

The only unresolved issue is what propellers to use. Some say the APC 9 x 6 should be the only choice, just like in Event 424. Others would let you use different sizes. Not a major issue, IMHO.

But you're right, it's not an AMA rule book event. And there's no proposal on the table to add it, as far as I know. But who can predict the future?

Duane
Old 03-23-2007, 04:20 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: DHG

ORIGINAL: daven

Dave,

Never say never! There are rumblings in CAPS land (Ohio/Michigan/Indiana), and the pieces are lying there for anyone to pick up and use if they want -- just stick an Event 424 engine in an Event 422 airframe. In fact, you could fly any of the old F1 models like the Prather Little Toni if you built it light. They're just slightly larger than a regulation Q40. You'd probably lose a little speed in the straightaways and gain it back in the turns because of the bigger wing.

The only unresolved issue is what propellers to use. Some say the APC 9 x 6 should be the only choice, just like in Event 424. Others would let you use different sizes. Not a major issue, IMHO.

But you're right, it's not an AMA rule book event. And there's no proposal on the table to add it, as far as I know. But who can predict the future?

Duane
Interesting concept I think I documented proposed rules for that a bunch of years ago. Demonstrated my old RJ QM40 with the TT40 and a ST40 up front. The 9x6 worked great. No muss, no fuss.

Quite a few folks flying some of the older QM40 airframes with SJ46 and SJ50 engines. Makes for a real fun machine.

But per the original post, ARF QM40 aircraft really do not exist at this time - the composite birds are not coming down in price any time soon.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:21 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html

look here but I dont think they have what you are looking for.