Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

prop balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 AM
BigBadJon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop balancing?

how far can you really take a prop down? 1 inch at the most?

example..cut down a 10x8 to make it a 9x8?
Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 AM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: prop balancing?

back in the days i used to take 18" props and cut between 8 and 10 inches off them to get the RPM up while breaking in ducted fan engines on the bench, had to use the larger diameters because of the thicker hub so they'd take the RPM, I've also cut down 9" pylon props to 5-6 inches size for .21's with great results. the maximum you can take off really depends on the prop in question. as for balancing, just make sure you balance it before you run it. most of the time i don't go as far as balancing out the heavy side of the hub on props less then 14" in size unless they are very high RPM applications, I'll just laterally balance them.

kc

EDIT: here is a pic of a few of those cut down pylon props, as you can see they have 3" of their original diameter removed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19238.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	650384  
Old 03-26-2007, 02:13 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
You can cut down (modify) an APC prop as much as you like! Just file away...but remember to balance it before you fly.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: KC36330

back in the days i used to take 18" props and cut between 8 and 10 inches off them to get the RPM up while breaking in ducted fan engines on the bench, had to use the larger diameters because of the thicker hub so they'd take the RPM, I've also cut down 9" pylon props to 5-6 inches size for .21's with great results. the maximum you can take off really depends on the prop in question. as for balancing, just make sure you balance it before you run it. most of the time i don't go as far as balancing out the heavy side of the hub on props less then 14" in size unless they are very high RPM applications, I'll just laterally balance them.

kc

EDIT: here is a pic of a few of those cut down pylon props, as you can see they have 3" of their original diameter removed.
Those look like my Tach props although I cut them to an even 7" diameter.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:12 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bob they are trimmed down for a Rossi 21 and OS 32, the good thing is rather then buying a new one and trimming it down, i can fly the Diamond Dust with the Jett 60LX and when one gets a little nick from landings where the prop didn't stop perfectly horizontal i can most often trim it down to a salvageable prop

kc