Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Problem with rudder of patriot XL

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Problem with rudder of patriot XL

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 12:01 PM
le fou
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with rudder of patriot XL

Hello,

I am setting up my control surfaces and the rudder on my patriot xl has some play. I followed the instructions in the GP manual. I tried another servo but the play is still there. Has anybody had the same problem? Any idea how to fix it? I included some pictures so you can have an idea of my setup.

Thanks,

Le fou
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50988.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	649498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14348.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	649499   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54260.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	649500  
Old 03-25-2007, 01:46 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Problem with rudder of patriot XL

It looks like the hole at the red servo arm is too large for the wire that is passing through. If you don't have an exact size drill bit, you can sharpen the push rod wire to a point, heat it and push it through the plastic servo arm to get an exact fitting hole. I never have tried hooking anything up with an unsupported balsa stick, it would be better to have a carbon kite rod with at least one support / guide in the middle of the run. Any slop at all in the controls will get magnified at speed.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:36 PM
le fou

Combatpigg,

Thank you for your reply. I have identified the problem, the rod that comes from the rudder bends side to side. I will try to support it to reduce/eliminate the play. I tried to show it in the picture below. I will also follow your suggestion.

Thanks,

Le fou
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43322.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	649757  
Old 03-26-2007, 04:53 PM
kmtranmd
My Feedback: (71)

You might want to use 4-40 rods all around for strength if you plan to flight this like a bat out of hell like I do. Mine can do a low pass at 120-125mph, so all my linkages have no slop at all and digital servos for ailerons and elevators.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:06 PM
Mr Hankey

Some people just make one solid vertical fin. Really don't need rudder on a propjet. I never use it. I know you need a working one at a show but this is a non scale Patriot so it doesn't really matter anyways
Old 03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
le fou

kmtranmd,

This is exactly what I am using. Before I changed the rudder to a balsa stick, I had a 4-40 rod on it but it had a lot of flex... I really believe that the problem is more at the rod from the rudder. Have you seen an yproblems on yours?

Thanks,

Le fou
Old 03-26-2007, 11:00 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mr Hankey

Some people just make one solid vertical fin. Really don't need rudder on a propjet. I never use it. I know you need a working one at a show but this is a non scale Patriot so it doesn't really matter anyways

not a single one of my jets will knife edge without rudder input.

the best fix for the problem indicated is to have the torque rod bearing (the part glued into the fuselage) closer to the bottom of the torque rod, that prevents the side to side motion.

kc
Old 03-27-2007, 12:13 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

The rudder is pretty effective on the Patriot XL. For take off and landing in a crosswind... Id not know how to accomplish those aspects of flight properly without rudder input. And for decent point rolls and slow rolls - its pretty much a requirement.

The engine torque with the Jett 90 on the big patriot requires a bit of right rudder on the take-off and initial climb too. And if you end up running out of fuel, using that rudder to keep the nose down in the base and final approach turn will save a few hours of rebuilding