Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Outlaw servos and battery???

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Outlaw servos and battery???

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:41 AM
plasticmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outlaw servos and battery???

What servos are recommended for an Outlaw? Should high torque or digitals be used, or can standard Futaba S3004 servos be used for the elevons and rudder? What about the battery? Can a standard 4.8V pack be used or would I benefit from a 6V pack? I’ve seen an Outlaw flown as a demo at the Joe Nall fly-in and it was amazing. I’ve also seen one on floats built by guy named Evan, who posts here regularly. His setup seems to be excellent and I was wondering what was in his. I’m hoping that he and others will chime in here to help me out. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:56 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Outlaw servos and battery???

I had standard JR 517 BB servos and a 4.8v pack in mine and had no issues.....until my father in law drilled it into the ground....
Old 03-26-2007, 05:28 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ta daaaa... The Outlaw needs good centering servos, not high torque so a good coreless BB servo should be used. A standard BB Futaba or JR is good enough. I have had servo failures in Outlaws because you try to get a lot of throw in the aileron and elevator directions and since each servo is for elevons they can go to their mechanical limit and burn up in a short period. So it's best to have half travel for each and long servo horns and then you'll want good high resolution servos. A digital would probably be a good thing but I haven't had a need to swap servos in an Outlaw for a few years....

Battery depends on the servos. With standard elevons and rudder and a mini on throttle a NiMh 1200 4AA flat pack in the back is good.

Thanks for the props...
Old 03-26-2007, 06:41 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

You found Evan it looks like...

Keep in mind that the 6V pack is a plug and go in most situations and can take the torque of a std servo from 48oz to 60oz.

I have had a few Hitec-925's which are SUPER fast, and the centering was not an issue. The 645's are the beasts with torque but poor centering-

If you want a decent digital, I run the Hitec 5645's and they are super!
Old 03-27-2007, 07:34 AM
plasticmaster

OK. So a coreless servo would be good for its centering qualities, but would Futaba S3004 servos be strong enough for the elevons? It’s a standard BB servo. I could limit the travel so it wouldn’t reach the limit and use long servo arms like Evan said. Would it hold up to the high speed blenders and other such maneuvers? I just want to do my best to make sure it does not fail in flight. Thanks for the responses.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:03 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think you will experience gear failure although you might stall the servo at 4.8v. I wasn't doing anyhting other than flying fast with mine and the standard servo was fine.

You might want to go with a better servo (more torque) on the rudder.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: plasticmaster

OK. So a coreless servo would be good for its centering qualities, but would Futaba S3004 servos be strong enough for the elevons? It’s a standard BB servo. I could limit the travel so it wouldn’t reach the limit and use long servo arms like Evan said. Would it hold up to the high speed blenders and other such maneuvers? I just want to do my best to make sure it does not fail in flight. Thanks for the responses.
The 3004"s are NOT up to the task in this plane. You will likely stall the servo. Many use Hitec 645's (in mine) but other high torque digitals are fine. Anything less is going to spoil your day.

Pete
Old 03-27-2007, 09:42 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

The 645's are favorites of mine with 107oz. @ 4.8V and 133oz. @ 6V. But they are fairly slow, not generally an issue with speed planes since we do not need fast servos but I thought it worth mentioning-

Keep us posted!
Old 03-28-2007, 09:55 AM
plasticmaster

To narrow it down, I’m looking for $36 or less per servo for the elevons. I’d like to stick with Futaba or Hitec. How about the Futaba S3010? The torque and speed look good. If not, which is best given my criteria? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Rocketman612
My Feedback: (85)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: plasticmaster

To narrow it down, I’m looking for $36 or less per servo for the elevons. I’d like to stick with Futaba or Hitec. How about the Futaba S3010? The torque and speed look good. If not, which is best given my criteria? Thanks.

http://www.servocity.com/html/hs-645...ra_torque.html

Servo City sells the HS 645 for 39.95 well worth the extra 3$ don't scrimp on these servos.

Pete
Old 03-29-2007, 01:19 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The 600 series Hitec have lousy centering, on high speed planes it's noticable. I'm picky and I wouldn't use them. The 3004 are marginal because of their torque and would probably work but after a while you would be kicking yourself for using them. Get good servos now instead of later, you'll thank yourself later. I prefer to use 4.8 volts because I've had too many servos that were designed for 4.8, used them on 6 and they failed on me because they really weren't designed for 6 volt use. All it takes is having one airplane go in because of servo's and you'll rethink cheap servos. The rudder is the one servo that if it fails won't crash your plane but it gets a good work out on the Outlaw because snaps and spins are so fun to do that you do them over and over and over.....