Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New to speed...good first plane?

Old 03-26-2007, 04:43 PM
foosball_movie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New to speed...good first plane?

Hi. I'm looking for a good first plane that is built for speed. I was told a Quickie 500 may work. What is a good plane to start with?
Old 03-26-2007, 05:30 PM
evan-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New to speed...good first plane?

Do you just want to go fast? Any aerobatics? Kit or ARF?

A Diamond Dust is a good start....
Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want wheels, the Lanier Predator, GP Viper or Sportman Aviation Sonic are the best entry level ARF's to cut your teeth on-

If you don't need Wheels- the aforementioned Diamond Dust fits the bill.

If you are looking for a real steady progression into speed- the Ultra Sport is actually a pretty fast model if the Quickee's look intimidating.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:26 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The quickies are also a bit slower on the roll making aerobatics more of a challenge.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:48 PM
BigBadJon

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

my 2nd plane/1st speed plane was a sonic 500 with an os la 40. had a speed of roughly 80-85ish or so mph. but was cool for me till i got alittle more feel for it. then upgraded the motor to something more worthy. but was a great entry plane for me to get into speed. i went to that straight from a trainer. lands as easy as trainer to almost a stand still heh
Old 03-27-2007, 10:33 AM
foosball_movie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the replies.

Do you just want to go fast? Any aerobatics? Kit or ARF?
I am interested in trying my hand at a Kit. I currently own an OS .65 LA engine that came with my trainer, so it would be great if I can use that same engine on a faster plane (something besided my Hobbistar trainer). I'm looking for speed mainly.

I like how the Viper looks. Does it come with a standard tail or just the V-tail?
Old 03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: foosball_movie

I am interested in trying my hand at a Kit. I currently own an OS .65 LA engine that came with my trainer, so it would be great if I can use that same engine on a faster plane (something besided my Hobbistar trainer). I'm looking for speed mainly.

I like how the Viper looks. Does it come with a standard tail or just the V-tail?
If you want a kit, look at the Lanier Dominator 500. Cheap, simple build (it does have foam wings, though) and can be built with a conventional tail or V-tail.

http://www.lanierrc.com/lrcprivate/rcairplanes/dom.htm

Mark
Old 03-27-2007, 02:27 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Foosball:

Ok, first looze those OS bushing engines and stay with the smaller 46 bll bearing engines, the Thunder Tiger is your best buy. Gotta buy a muffler/pipe to make it really scoot, I perfer the Jett "jetstream" pipes only because the pressure tap is more convenient and they are about equal in performance. I stay away from the OS only because of their cheep bearings, a problem they have had for many years. Will not buy one unless they start beating my TT in our club races. Almost all of the 60's out there are simply too heavy and do not turn worth poo except for the Jett lx, a $400.00 engine, but well worth every penny in my book. Its hard to beat a GP Viper for cost and performance. Its a good flyer built right, read the threads on this and learn to build it right. I would stay with the conventional tail rather than the V just to keep it simple. Dont laugh at the GP Ultra Sport suggestion. With a bay cut from each wing and equiped with retracts, one such airframe dominated out club racing "open class" for way to many years, Super Tiger 46 and 50 powered and hopped up to turn around 21K. When it caught a barb wire fence post trying to pass me low. I was both sad and glad, wonderful little plane, a real pest. Yea, the jester is dead sort of thing. All of the guys giving you advice here have been around for years, and do really know their stuff. Listen, learn, take it to a higher level and kick out butts. That is what its all about IMHO. ENJOY
Old 03-27-2007, 03:04 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you really looking for a kit, or an ARF?

The viper is an ARF, and only comes with a V-Tail.

If you want a standard tail, the Sonic 500 is what you would want.

If you want a kit, the dominator is a good one (if you can find one) and can be built with either a standard or V-tail. You will need to be able to sheet foam core wings with that one. There are several good Q500 kits available at www.supertrc , their new one (venom) is a built up wood fuse, but the wing saddle is set up for the GP Viper wing, which you can but at Tower for $70. They also sell their Hurrikane, and my design called the "Seeker". All feature laser cut, tab and slot design, which makes the fuse go together like a jigsaw puzzle. Straight, light, and strong. The trickiest part will be building the V-tail and linkage, but there are some pretty good instructions on the site above to help you there.

Also, I think I saw it on RCU, but the kit is a V-Vector Q500. It was a semi-popular kit about 6-7 years ago, I really enjoyed building mine, it was one of the first laser cut quickie kits. It has good looks with a forward swept V-tail, and cool looking prongs on the wing and tail. Very good flying plane, and I believe it comes with a wing that is already sheeted, 1 piece, and reinforced under the wood. May be worth looking for here.

Kevin Matney also has some nice kits on his site, Matney Models, I liked his Mad Dog the best.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:12 PM
Red B.

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Get a SIG Kobra or King Kobra depending on what engine you have in mind!
They are fast and an absolute delight to fly.
Do a search here on RCU and you will find nothing but praise for these aircraft.

/Red B.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:22 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

If you want a kit, the dominator is a good one (if you can find one) and can be built with either a standard or V-tail.
Dave,

Lanier was still selling them as of a few months ago. I ordered one direct from their site with no problems, $59.99 plus shipping. Shipped in one day and I got a free hat in the deal...

Mark
Old 03-28-2007, 04:15 AM
MadMonkey
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Red B.

Get a SIG Kobra or King Kobra depending on what engine you have in mind!
They are fast and an absolute delight to fly.
Do a search here on RCU and you will find nothing but praise for these aircraft.

/Red B.
Yes!!

I had a Kobra up until last Saturday. It flew like a dream, just lovely. And FAST. I had a TT.36pro on it and it was a rocket, but then I started having engine troubles so I got annoyed and sold it. I'll build another maybe...
Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 AM
brewski

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Dominator is a great plane to build. I recently built one and have a blast flying it. You can put a 10x6 prop on it to help slow it down a bit until you get comfortable and then shorten up for more speed. The only thing I want more of from it is roll rate. It is just to slow for great aerobatics. Just know you may, as I did, have to put larger wheels on it if you don't want to hand launch. This is especially true if you are on grass.

One of the guys at our field flies a Viper and it is faster but also much more difficult to handle. He also has the hand launch it.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:22 PM
evan-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll second the Ultra Sport, I had a .60 size with retracts and a OS 1,20 four stroke, it was a blast and pretty fast.... flew really well and looked great in the air...
Old 03-30-2007, 01:15 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The V-Vector is listed again on RCU. I personally wouldn't pay $150 for it, but "Make an Offer" is lit as an option. Its a fun kit to put together, well everything except that V-tail Which probably wouldn't be a problem for me now, but it was my 2nd V-tailed plane I had built and the double angled torque rods were a bit tricky.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=275723
Old 03-30-2007, 02:01 PM
mmattockx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: daven

The V-Vector is listed again on RCU. I personally wouldn't pay $150 for it, but "Make an Offer" is lit as an option. Its a fun kit to put together, well everything except that V-tail Which probably wouldn't be a problem for me now, but it was my 2nd V-tailed plane I had built and the double angled torque rods were a bit tricky.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemid=275723
Well. Morris is listing them for $169.95 plus shipping, so $150 isn't out of line at that rate... I would build the Dominator first for $59 instead, but that's me. And I have a Dominator kit sitting in my basement just for that reason.

Mark
Old 03-30-2007, 02:47 PM
daven

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For a kit that is no longer competitive in 428 racing (which it was designed to be), the pricing is out of line.

The main differences between it and the Dominator, is that it comes with a fiberglass reinforced, SHEETED, 1 piece wing, that is done quite nicely. Also, the Vector comes with a pretty darn complete, high quality hardware assortment including fuel tank.
Old 03-30-2007, 07:59 PM
rustypep
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a partially built vector on RCU for $60 last fall. They pop up every once in a while. One of the tail fins got busted in shipping but that is an easy fix. I am going to use it eventually to give pylon racing a try.