Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Small Electric Ducted Fan jets to a pusher prop configuration?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Small Electric Ducted Fan jets to a pusher prop configuration?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 05:29 PM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small Electric Ducted Fan jets to a pusher prop configuration?

I was wondering about the idea of installing an OS 32 helicopter engine I have (with heat sink head for better cooling in a pusher configuration) in possibly the F-15, F-16 or the F-18 kits that the Electric Jet Factory carries. They have a Fiberglass fuselage and sheeted foam wings.

The F-15 can be found here ( http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=299 ), the F-16 ( http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=236 ) and the F-18 ( http://www.ejf.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=233 ).

What do you think of this idea?

Thanks for any input.
Jim

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70011.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	651386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47524.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	651387   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29733.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	651388  
Old 03-29-2007, 12:20 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Small Electric Ducted Fan jets to a pusher prop configuration?

Jimm- That'd be pretty interesting... Those EJF Jets sure are slick- I cannot say that I have seen them up-close so I do not know how they get the CG which may be the central challenge for you...

Hopefully one of the true "gentlemen" on RCU will chime in like Bob, Petec or the KC guy...
Old 03-29-2007, 12:32 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you try to swap out an EDF for a pusher nitro you run into balance problems from moving all that weight to the rear. you end up with excessive wing loading to get it flyable and then it's no fun. i have swapped one over to an OS21 RZB buggy engine on the fan in the past with good results but still had over heating problems because of the limited ducting space.

kc
Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

hey jimm, the small jets look great! i love that f-20

BTW why don't you go with the EDF setup? maybe the cost of lipo is a turn off for you too []

Cheers,
V.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:17 PM
Munkster

Why would you want to take a nice EDF and change it to a pusher? That one escapes me.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:58 PM
jimm
My Feedback: (1)

Yes the costs of getting into Electrics has me thinking against it. LIPOS, good motors, chargers etc. I used to have a Combat Models F-15 and with the 46 size engine it was heavy and had a lot of prop torque making it a handul to fly. I had always thought it would be better of with a 32 size helicopter engine in it. If I did I am leaning towards the F-15.

I have an extra OS 32 sitting on my work bench and have been trying to think of a good home for it. I fly the 90 size ducted fans as well. I had built a long time ago the 40 size F-18 that Mike Pastro designed for RCM magzine which got me to thinking about trying something like this.

Although I will say after seeing that they have a EDF of the F-104 Starfighter I may have to consider it.

Jim