Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

FOREAVER

Old 04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FOREAVER

Seems like its taking foreaver to get out a few simple pictures promised, but am still "trying sir"
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64121.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	658971  
Old 04-07-2007, 12:14 PM
rmenke

Default RE: FOREAVER

Maby we will learn how to send more than one picture on each post, but not yet.

Name:	Xv64636.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	658972  
Old 04-07-2007, 12:21 PM
rmenke

Its Saturday, apparently the Yahoo traffic has died down enough to lt me do something before it freezes up or some other stupid thing. What I am trying to do is send you some promised pics of the home brew "Yellow Jacket II". Yellow jacket I, jett 35 powered was ending up in second just too many times, so now I hope I am taking a sword to a knife fight in our club racing, Jett 60LX with black pipe,19,800 rpm with 8.8 X 8.75, fast? Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Name:	Nk27887.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	658973  
Old 04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
rmenke

Seems we are on a role here!!!!!
Here is a pic of Matney Models Zoomer that died a early death in being sorted out. Not nearly as quick as the new YJ II. Now that I look at both airframes, appears that the Zoomer had some influence on the Yellow Jacket design. In reality, the Q-500, formulas and zoomer are incorporated in the YJ which will hopefully prove to be another home brew knightmare for the local gang. Yes, thats a Viper wing, just cut down to 45". Still lands like a trainer, being CG sorted out now.

Name:	Tr51312.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	658974  
Old 04-07-2007, 12:44 PM
rmenke

Might as well show you Yellow Jacket I here. Even 35 powered, it pretty well dominated our club racing for the first 3 years or so in the "open " class. Its still alive, just can not chuck something that has given me so much joy, so were gonna get recovered, and some well deserved engine maintenance. Never has been out of the plane for any reason for almost 5 seasons. Talk about a expensive, but really cheep engine. Will get you some shop remodel pics next time its clean.

Name:	Tr51722.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	658994  
Old 04-07-2007, 12:56 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks great! Nice job on the cowl, too. That's a nice area of the State you live in. It seems like it is too far removed to be considered the suburbs for any neighboring cities, might be a nice place to retire?
Old 04-07-2007, 04:48 PM
rmenke

ORIGINAL: combatpigg

Looks great! Nice job on the cowl, too. That's a nice area of the State you live in. It seems like it is too far removed to be considered the suburbs for any neighboring cities, might be a nice place to retire?
Yea, good weather most all year around, about in the center of everything, but far enough away from SF and LA to be a conservative and not too unusual. Our problems are all politically related and getting to be the same everywhere. We are growing at around 6% a year, mostly people bailing out from the cities and the typical illegals, now a population of over 50%. Oh well, build another bird and ENJOY
Old 04-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

Where did you get the yellow jacket plans? What is the YJ II? Is that the 1/2A bird blown up?
Old 04-11-2007, 10:27 PM
Julian537

And still no replies?

Bump!
Old 04-12-2007, 11:32 AM
rmenke

Jullian:

Sorry, blame it on Yahoo. Anyway, the YJ #1 was a home brew thing made from some suff laying around in the shop and attic. Viper wing, cut down to 40". Fuse, from stock laying around using general Q-500 fuse moments, reshape of tailfeathers and nose for streemlinning and larger tank etc. Started playing with general design in the late 60 after blowing a jugg on my Cessna 182 and bro loaned me his Cessna 206 with retracts. The change in flight characteristics when the gear went up was so good, I became obsessed with retracting a model. Only problem, no model retracts made at the time. After seeing a movie (Carbine Williams) who made the army carbine rifle while in prision with a file, figured I could make retracts having a files, bench vise and hack saw. Got a prototype working in 6-8 months, buddy Joe Wolfshaw, general manager of a aerospace firm (Systron-Donner) took pitty and had his machine shop make things pretty from basic design. Only remaining problem, 60 pattern kits available at the time just did not have room in the fuse or wing for my mechanical retracts. So, began a home designof home made pattern ships enlarged in the nose tank area in depth. Made foam cutter from railroad transfoemer and cut needed wing. After flying about design 8, came up with good flyer and trike retracts operated from one Pro-Line standard servo. No high torque servos made at that time. Best flyer ever had, won several contests with the thing, think the Judges just liked to see the gear go up and down, a real novelity at the time. Lesson, almost anyone can design a airplane following established general principals (design). Modify to meet your needs, steal from the best and make better. YJ-1 flew well on first try, should as was generally a jazed up Q-500 viper. As the airplane and I aged, the gang started to catch up to a point we were not winning over 50%. So, time to jump ahead again. YJ II is again roughly based on a Q-500 moments, viper wing 45" and a little more engine, Jett 60LX, all up weighs 3.5 lbs. Went with the high wing design just to shake things up a little. The Jett 60LX is proving to be more engine than needed, but thats what the left side stick is for. YJ-1 was/is a lucky survivor of mid-airs and goofed landings. YJ- II survived first trials from a new intermittent switch, starting I hope a long lucky life. It is yet to fly its first race, so overall end results remain unknown. It does grove, and I think will keep up, or outrun the better Q-500 which are not legal in the club raceing class the YJ II was designed for. Yes, a little overkill, but we need a little advantage at 72. What does Dave say, "Old age and tretchery will overcome youth"? With a little more luck, a pic or YJ 1 in its youth will pop up. How's that for a long winded answer to a simple question?

Name:	Xv63867.jpg
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	662616  
Old 04-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Julian537

Here is my YJ. It is a blown up version of the 1/2 YJ that was a champion in its day. I was given a version of the 1/2A that was blown up for a .15 size. I blew it up again for a .25 size motor. It is a little bit smaller than a 500. More like a 400. 9.5" X 40 for this wing. It is just 5/8" thick at the spar.

Here is a link to the original Yellow JAcket. Still sold by Morris Hobbies today. http://morrishobbies.com/product_inf...products_id=69

This is my blown up version. It is the plane on the bottom left!

I will post more pics later

[img][/img]

Name:	Bz77793.jpg
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	662910  
Old 04-13-2007, 01:32 AM
rmenke

Jullian:

I like yours, nice monocote design, simple and effective. Honest, did not plagiarize the design from Morris yet. The morris kit may be worth buying for the plans to blow up. I could not see that little thing well enough to get it around the pylon poles. Scare the cut workers enough as it is. This week, I found and drug out the AMA's old area pylon cages and hope to build some sort of plywood barrier for the pilots to get behind in the event of a runaway. Probably cause more of a problem with 5 guys trying to duck behind the barrier to avoid a oncomming 140 mph or so and keep flying their birds at the same time?? Let the mind games begin!! Suprise, a trainer out of control in a dive went right through our nylon shade netting last week. Did not think anything but a fast bird could do that. ENJOY