Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

lookin for new speed plane

Old 04-11-2007, 11:56 AM
dirtmagnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default lookin for new speed plane

i have a few ideas for a new speen plane. here they are
King Kobra
Little Toni
Bobcat prop
P-51 Mustang

all within the 60 size. i have a super tiger .90 i'm going to put on it. i'm not going for looks. i want speed, stability, and agility. i'm going to be pushing this plane to its absolute max of its airframe and i want a plane that can handle it.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:40 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: lookin for new speed plane

Any of those aircraft can easily handle the ST90....

However the combinations will not be particularly fast. At least the P-51 and King Kobra have the potential to install retracts.

Yes, they all will move along nicely ---- you will have to define "fast" for yourself.

With the ST90, I'd say the king kobra is the best bet to keep you happy, from your list. Similarly along those lines, look for any of the 1970s and 1980s type pattern ships. For decent speed, retracts are a must. Take a look in the Classic Pattern forum for some ideas for planes like this.

Great Planes Patriot XL is worth considering as well. Perhaps the Cermark F-16 and new F-18 too (you would want to at least add a tuned muffler to give reasonable performance)

other mentions ..... World Models Midget Mustang. Perhaps the new Kyosho Kelly or the Cermark Alley Cat. We know the AlleyCat and MM fly nicely with a Jett 90, so installation is possible - no reason they shouldnt work with the ST90. Not sure on the Kelly yet, but its looking hopeful.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:01 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

However the combinations will not be particularly fast. At least the P-51 and King Kobra have the potential to install retracts.
I wonder if you can shoehorn a .60 - .90 into a regular Kobra.. you'd have an airplane about 1/3 larger than a Magnum albeit with a thicker airfoil. I haven't owned one so don't know if the structure is up to it.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:32 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MJD

I wonder if you can shoehorn a .60 - .90 into a regular Kobra.. you'd have an airplane about 1/3 larger than a Magnum albeit with a thicker airfoil. I haven't owned one so don't know if the structure is up to it.

I had a Jett SS40 in a Kobra with Robart mech retracts modified to tail dragger.
You will not get a big block in there.
BUT the New Jett .60LX will fit and then you will have a handfull!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM
dirtmagnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i'm hoping to get around 80-90+. i been told the King Kobra can handle that kind of speed so thats what i want. the louder, the faster, the better. i fly off of a grass feild so sometimes retracts are a problem. i have one of the old Ultra Sport 40s and it has retracts and since i couldn't put very big tires on it, it would always nose over and eventually busted up the cowling. i love retracts but just where i fly they kinda pose a problem.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:51 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dont let the grass worry you. When you look at it, a good set of retracts, properly installed, results in a more durable and stronger installation than a lot of fixed gear installations (expecially in foam wings).

The wheels are fairly decent size for the pattern ships. 2.25" dia at least is ok.

I fly from grass now, rarely a problem with everything from the QM40 to the F-16. Flew from grass with my pattern ships years ago (with 2" tetra wheels and on my one Tipo 1.75" RC12 racecar tires for a while ... but thats another story).

Unless its really long grass - you should not have a problem. Especially if you stick with the trike-gear planes (most of the older pattern ships are trikes, as is the KingKobra and PatXL)
Old 04-12-2007, 09:12 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dirtmagnet

well i'm hoping to get around 80-90+. i been told the King Kobra can handle that kind of speed so thats what i want. the louder, the faster, the better. i fly off of a grass feild so sometimes retracts are a problem. i have one of the old Ultra Sport 40s and it has retracts and since i couldn't put very big tires on it, it would always nose over and eventually busted up the cowling. i love retracts but just where i fly they kinda pose a problem.
80-90? I thought you wanted to go fast!

That's way below typical pattern speeds from some years back. I doubt you'll have any trouble reaching that with a KK on a .90, and the aircraft is certainly up to it, assuming the little details are all done right, you know what I mean - hinging, hinge gaps, linkages etc.

Old 04-12-2007, 09:41 AM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AMA allows only slow flying models to fly at night. Anything under 100 mph is defined by them as slow..........
Old 04-12-2007, 09:55 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is a nice example of what you can do with a King Kobra
http://www.jettengineering.com/hall/bc-kk.html

The ST90 will work well in this type of aircraft.

The king Kobra I flew years ago had an OS61FSR ..... the ST90
Old 04-12-2007, 10:08 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

AMA allows only slow flying models to fly at night. Anything under 100 mph is defined by them as slow..........
the AMA isn't going to be the one behind the sticks, to me 170 isn't fast anymore and 200+ is only 'quick', to some it's more then they can presently handle safely, as Bob said "you will have to define "fast" for yourself." and nobody else can do that for YOU.

kc
Old 04-12-2007, 10:14 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: KC36330

the AMA isn't going to be the one behind the sticks, to me 170 isn't fast anymore and 200+ is only 'quick', to some it's more then they can presently handle safely, as Bob said "you will have to define "fast" for yourself." and nobody else can do that for YOU.

kc
Well true.... but nothing says we cant try to define it

One club member use to define "fast" planes as those which caused some of the elder statesmen to hide behind the impound bench before the engine gets started.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:23 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well true.... but nothing says we cant try to define it

One club member use to define "fast" planes as those which caused some of the elder statesmen to hide behind the impound bench before the engine gets started.

nothing gives me a better laugh then the 'old guys' who have a coronary when you fly something that is well beyond their ability and then feel the need to ask a gazillion questions while complaining the whole time you're flying it. even better are the ones who can't do it themselves but can certainly tell you how to.

kc
Old 04-12-2007, 10:39 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

nothing gives me a better laugh then the 'old guys' who have a coronary when you fly something that is well beyond their ability and then feel the need to ask a gazillion questions while complaining the whole time you're flying it. even better are the ones who can't do it themselves but can certainly tell you how to.

kc
Every club has one or two of those, or more.. unfortuntately. These are the guys that fiddle and fuss over ARF trainers and badly built sport aircraft and tell you you're using too small a prop . They do serve one purpose however - they are great fun to irritate with loud fast airplanes and safe smooth flying. Nothing like boring holes in the sky at 20k rpm then greasing the landing after they've been bothering you all morning. These are NOT the people with which to have a conversation about torque and horsepower and prop selection.. unless you like banging your head on the hood of your car.

Actually I and a couple of buddies are in the process of registering a sanctioned club at a new and quite private field we found (conveniently owned by a fellow who wants us to teach him to fly..), for the express purpose of having a small group of people who don't irritate each other and offer unwanted and useless advice. Plus of course we get more air time.

Oops, I'm sounding curmudgeonly. [X(]
Old 04-12-2007, 11:48 AM
KC36330

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

................ for the express purpose of having a small group of people who don't irritate each other and offer unwanted and useless advice.........
unfortunately you'll eventually find that at every club. the funny part is the members of the club I've been in sense 89-90 have always had rights to only fly at one field (Hunt), and it's not the one i fly at 90% of the time (i've flown Brown for close to 20 yrs, it was literaly in my back yard, my back fence was their fence) but two yrs ago the Army gave the club and all the members the right to fly at the field I've been flying at for so long because the OH 58 Ds have started to fly Saturdays at Hunt.

well that allowed allot of members who have only been flying for a few yrs to meet the rest of us who have always flown at the Brown and for some reason they have the impression we are the 'New Guys' and one even asked me 'Are you sure you can fly that jet, you've just recently got off the buddy box?'

i get about as much enjoyment out of watching and listening to them as i do flying

kc
Old 04-12-2007, 03:30 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

unfortunately you'll eventually find that at every club.
This group we're forming is invitation only. I think we'll have a probationary period, and retain the right to toss anyone who bothers us.

i get about as much enjoyment out of watching and listening to them as i do flying

kc
Yeah, there is the entertainment value for sure. Mind you I can only listen to BS for so long before my head explodes. Unless it's my own BS of course...
Old 04-13-2007, 06:17 PM
dirtmagnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i want at least 90. i have a Mach Racer and been told it will run 130. what seems to me they seem alot faster when your watching someone else fly then when you are actually the one flying. we used to have someone at our flying feild that would tell you what HE wanted YOU to do with YOUR airplane. i'm a good natured person but when someone else tells me what to do with my stuff i get really agrivated really quick.

eventually i want to get me a WESTON MAGNUM. i wanted one of those since i first saw one when i was learning to fly.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 AM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

well i want at least 90. i have a Mach Racer and been told it will run 130. what seems to me they seem alot faster when your watching someone else fly then when you are actually the one flying. we used to have someone at our flying feild that would tell you what HE wanted YOU to do with YOUR airplane. i'm a good natured person but when someone else tells me what to do with my stuff i get really agrivated really quick.

eventually i want to get me a WESTON MAGNUM. i wanted one of those since i first saw one when i was learning to fly.
Well, Weston USA seems to be back in the game now, they have a full page color ad in the latest MAN. However, unless the looks of the Magnum really appeal to you there may be attractive alternatives. Much talk of such on this forum.. search Rifle, Q500, quickies, Matney Zoomer, the list goes on.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:36 AM
dirtmagnet

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the magnum looks really good to me. i just wanted to kinda work my way up to that plane. been told it will run about 200 and the fastest plane i've ever owned is my mach racer. i figure once i get bored with that plane the next one will be a weston magnum. but you have to order it from over seas dont ya. my hobby shop told me they can't get it and i have to order it myself.

by the way does anyone have a KING KOBRA they want to get rid of. i am willing to trade a Harmon Rockett III with ST .61 for just the King Kobra, no engine or electronics.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:14 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Magnum will not run 200. Not without modification beyond belief. Neither will a Diamond Dust...

That said, both are really cool planes and both are likely to be faster than most things at a normal field.
Old 04-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Trollmaster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've done it on .40 size Mustangs
Old 04-16-2007, 12:02 PM
MJD

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the magnum looks really good to me. i just wanted to kinda work my way up to that plane. been told it will run about 200 and the fastest plane i've ever owned is my mach racer. i figure once i get bored with that plane the next one will be a weston magnum. but you have to order it from over seas dont ya. my hobby shop told me they can't get it and i have to order it myself.
As LD said, 200? Forget it. That's marketing hype only. It look sort-o- cool and is approximately as fast as a quickie, but those fly better and have landing gear. Between the choices of a quickie or a Magnum, if you like the looks, go for the Magnum. If you like a better flying aircraft for sport speed, go for a quickie. There are other choices for sport speed too as mentioned above. The Magnum's not a loser, I am not trying to suggest that - I have one flying and one spare kit - but it is not the spaceship it has been made out to be (mostly by the manufacturer and optimistic fliers without radar guns). It is fast however, and not too hard to fly. A bit hot on landing, esp. if use the forward range of the recommended CG which is way too far forward. Even the rear of the rec. range is a forward CG. It was explained to me by the mfg that this was to help it fly more smoothly at speed. Seems to me a correct CG coupled with proper control throws would be another way to accomplish that.. without having to bend the elevator stick off the Tx during landing.